|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hatchlings does Heat O' Mine have?
2. How does Jakkin get burned?
3. Who is Likkarn?
4. What does Jakkin not mention in his tale of the hunt?
5. Where does Jakkin awaken at the opening of Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Likkarn say to Blood Brother after Likkarn shoots the animal?
2. Why does Jakkin return to the breakfast room?
3. What is Jakkin doing at the opening of Chapter One and for what does he long?
4. What does Likkarn do to provoke a drakk to attack Jakkin?
5. How does Jakkin think he can escape being a bond man?
6. What does Jakkin say about his part in the hunt at dinner?
7. Where does Jakkin awake from being unconscious and who is with him?
8. How does Akki save Jakkin from freezing to death and what story does she give the other bondmen?
9. What are the duties of the bond boys who care for the dragons?
10. How does Jakkin demonstrate his knowledge of dragon training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dragon's Blood, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dragon's Blood. (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
4. Many writers and critics say there are only a few plots in the world of fiction; it's what an author does with a plot that distinguishes a mediocre book from an outstanding book. Respond to this idea, using examples from Dragon's Bloodand other books you have read.
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are an important part of the story of Dragon's Blood. Some of the symbols carry over into other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire The Pit Dragon Chronicles is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. What other symbols do you see in Dragon's Blood? What do they represent? Are they effective as symbols? Would it impact the enjoyment or reading of the book if there were no symbols?
3. Other literary descriptive devices are the metaphor and simile. Define metaphor and simile and find an example of it in the text. Why do you think authors use metaphor or simile?
4. Do you think symbols and other descriptive devices are more important in a fantasy series where you have to conceptualize a different world? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dragon's Blood.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dragon's Blood. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dragon's Blood. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)