|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire visit Alex on a daily basis?
2. What does Jamie try to persuade his grandfather to do with regards to the battle he and his men are fighting?
3. When Claire, Brianna, and Roger are together at the standing stones, from what does Roger black out?
4. When Claire tells Brianna that Jaime is her father, how does Brianna react?
5. Right before they part ways forever, where does Jamie lead Claire to in order to keep her safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jamie and Claire leave his grandfather's residence and meet up again with Ian, what disturbing fact do they realize?
2. What is the mood at Lallybroch surrounding the potato planting and harvesting?
3. When they head for battle, how do Jamie's warriors take the fact that a young man among them is full of lice?
4. When the battle is about to start, Jamie is restless and it seems no one can soothe him. Who, finally, brings him comfort?
5. Do Roger and Brianna believe Claire's story when she finishes telling her account?
6. What convinces Claire that she and Roger are after the right person in their search for Geillis?
7. Before Jamie goes to Stirling, what two key pieces of information does Claire share with him about Geillis Duncan?
8. Claire is taking care of Fergus and Jamie, both of whom are feverish, when there's a knock on the door and she finds Jonathan Randall standing there. How does she handle his request?
9. Describe how Jamie regards and treats his men.
10. Claire knows where and when the grandfather will die. Why is she conflicted over this information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his work as a translator and spy, Jamie is often in risky situations and his life is, at times, in danger.
Part 1) Briefly describe the nature of Jamie's secret work.
Part 2) Why is he doing this?
Part 3) Supporting your answer with a couple of examples from the book, explain how Jamie is involved in risky situations.
Essay Topic 2
Claire experiences a degree of culture shock as she travels between time periods. Discuss this "culture shock" and explain how Claire handles it. Cite specific examples. How does she adapt?
Essay Topic 3
Claire is thrust into many situations where she needs to tap into her courage and remain calm under pressure. Select one example from the book where she calls upon her courage to get her through a challenging situation. Where would you say Claire gets her courage from? How does her courage help her resolve the situation? How might the outcome have turned out had she not been able to keep calm and access her courage?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)