|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Battle of Prestonpans begins, where does Claire set up a triage for the wounded?
2. After Claire meets with the Duke of Sandringham and he escorts a man into the room with them, Claire recognizes the mark on the man's hand. From where does she remember it?
3. What does Clair give Alex for his conditions?
4. While Jamie gets ready for battle and Claire finds sanctuary in a nearby building with Dougal, Rupert, Willie, and others, how many Englishmen does Jamie tell them are coming up the hill?
5. Jamie's grandfather, Lord Lovat, believes that:
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Jamie goes to Stirling, what two key pieces of information does Claire share with him about Geillis Duncan?
2. Why does Claire tend to Alex?
3. Why is Jamie upset upon reading a surprise letter from his Uncle Jared?
4. How does Claire feel about going back to the future?
5. What is the mood at Lallybroch surrounding the potato planting and harvesting?
6. Earlier in the book, Murtagh swears he will avenge the rape of Mary and attempted rape of Claire. In Chapter 44, how does he accomplish this?
7. Do Roger and Brianna believe Claire's story when she finishes telling her account?
8. What is Alex's final request of Jamie and Claire?
9. What piece of information does Roger give to Claire about Jamie?
10. If Geillis Duncan fails to go through the standing stones, what might be the outcome for Roger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main characters live and work in a number of different settings. Choose ONE of the following to describe in detail. Include a description of the setting and some of the action or activity that took place there. Then, explain how this place was significant to the plot of the story.
1. Lallybroch, Scotland, where Jamie returns with Claire before the battle.
2. Culloden Field, Scotland, where the great battle of 1745 takes place.
3. L' Hopital des Anges, France, the hospital where Claire volunteers her time.
Essay Topic 2
Claire and Brianna are mother and daughter, but in many ways they are very different.
Part 1) In what ways are they similar? How do they differ?
Part 2) How would you describe the relationship between the two?
Part 3) Is there a difference between how they relate to one another at the beginning of the story and at the conclusion? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The roles Murtagh plays include humble servant, loyal companion, close friend, and protector.
Part 1) Describe specific instances where Murtagh takes on these roles.
Part 2) What are his redeeming qualities? His negative qualities?
Part 3) Do you consider him a good friend and protector? Why or why not?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)