|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jamie prepares for another battle against the English, he tells Claire to find sanctuary in a nearby building, which happens to be what?
2. As he prepares to meet his grandfather for the first time ever, what does Jamie reveal to Claire about his father?
3. When Claire breaks into the Institute, what does she take?
4. How does Jamie spend his time with his grandfather during his stay at Beaufort Castle?
5. While Jamie gets ready for battle and Claire finds sanctuary in a nearby building with Dougal, Rupert, Willie, and others, how many Englishmen does Jamie tell them are coming up the hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Jamie goes to Stirling, what two key pieces of information does Claire share with him about Geillis Duncan?
2. In Part 6, Chapter 45, what is Jack feeling towards all of the Randalls?
3. Claire knows where and when the grandfather will die. Why is she conflicted over this information?
4. Why does Colum MacKenzie ask Claire if she has anything he can use to kill himself?
5. Why is Jamie upset upon reading a surprise letter from his Uncle Jared?
6. When the battle is about to start, Jamie is restless and it seems no one can soothe him. Who, finally, brings him comfort?
7. How does Claire feel about going back to the future?
8. When Claire is taken by the English to the house where Mary is staying, why does Claire tell her to be quiet?
9. Earlier in the book, Murtagh swears he will avenge the rape of Mary and attempted rape of Claire. In Chapter 44, how does he accomplish this?
10. When Jamie and Claire leave his grandfather's residence and meet up again with Ian, what disturbing fact do they realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the relationship between Claire and her daughter, Brianna, changes from the beginning of the story to the end. Do you feel Claire is satisfied with the transformation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The main characters live and work in a number of different settings. Choose ONE of the following to describe in detail. Include a description of the setting and some of the action or activity that took place there. Then, explain how this place was significant to the plot of the story.
1. Lallybroch, Scotland, where Jamie returns with Claire before the battle.
2. Culloden Field, Scotland, where the great battle of 1745 takes place.
3. L' Hopital des Anges, France, the hospital where Claire volunteers her time.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Claire's roles as lady of the house to her work as a healer. Which role comes more naturally to her? Why? Which role made her happier? Why?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)