|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire visit Alex on a daily basis?
2. In Chapter 42, what does Jamie learn has happened to his men?
3. How does Jamie get information from the English boy?
4. Why did Jamie attack Ian while they spent the night at a cottage on their trip back home with supplies for their wives?
5. Even though she is going to marry another man, whose child is Mary carrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the clansmen do when Rupert is fatally wounded?
2. Describe the outcome of Claire's attempts to save Geillis.
3. When the battle is about to start, Jamie is restless and it seems no one can soothe him. Who, finally, brings him comfort?
4. What convinces Claire that she and Roger are after the right person in their search for Geillis?
5. In Part 6, Chapter 45, what is Jack feeling towards all of the Randalls?
6. After Dougal dies by Jamie's blade, what does Jamie realize regarding Claire?
7. What series of events brings Jamie to share with Ian the whole story of the torture he went through at the hands of Jack Randall?
8. As they discuss battle details, why does Jamie get angry with his grandfather?
9. If Geillis Duncan fails to go through the standing stones, what might be the outcome for Roger?
10. What is Alex's final request of Jamie and Claire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond is a complex character feared by several in the story, yet Claire appears to trust him. Explain why she seems able to trust him when others don't. Where does this lack of fear on her part come from? Do you feel Raymond's actions are intended to help or hinder Claire? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Claire experiences a degree of culture shock as she travels between time periods. Discuss this "culture shock" and explain how Claire handles it. Cite specific examples. How does she adapt?
Essay Topic 3
Claire is thrust into many situations where she needs to tap into her courage and remain calm under pressure. Select one example from the book where she calls upon her courage to get her through a challenging situation. Where would you say Claire gets her courage from? How does her courage help her resolve the situation? How might the outcome have turned out had she not been able to keep calm and access her courage?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)