|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Claire's hair is revealed from underneath her hood, what do her attackers call her?
2. When Jamie, Ian, Murtagh, and Fergus arrive back home after their search for the sheep, Jenny sends them back outside to:
3. After Mary writes a statement about the rape, what does Claire do?
4. After spending the night together at Louis', what do Claire and Jamie do?
5. When Jamie wants to duel Randall, what does Claire convince him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In a letter that Jamie and Claire decode, James wants Charles to find favor with King Louis. Explain why.
2. After she is raped, how is Mary cared for by Claire?
3. Roger discovers an old newspaper with Claire's name and picture on it. He reads the words "Returned from the Dead." What does he learn from this article?
4. Having gone back in time, Claire jumps to 1700s Paris where she is with Jamie and pregnant. In what way is she, having traveled to the past, in the right place at the right time?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 4, what does Roger learn about Frank?
6. How do Claire and Jamie feel about returning to Lallybroch?
7. In Chapter 5, Claire begins to explain to Roger and Brianna something very important about her past. What is she trying to tell them?
8. Claire learns from Fergus the truth regarding why Jamie insisted on dueling Randall despite promising her that he wouldn't. What is the real reason for the duel?
9. Describe the relationship between Claire and Jamie.
10. At Raymond's shop, what does Claire see when she follows him into the little room at the other side of the wall, reached by going beneath the table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claire and Brianna are mother and daughter, but in many ways they are very different.
Part 1) In what ways are they similar? How do they differ?
Part 2) How would you describe the relationship between the two?
Part 3) Is there a difference between how they relate to one another at the beginning of the story and at the conclusion? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Claire and Jamie spend time at the king's palace and attend royal balls and dinner parties. While they are honored to attend these events, they are at times shocked by some of the happenings and conversations.
Part 1) Describe a particular scene from one of the dances or dinner parties that upsets either Claire or Jamie.
Part 2) Explain why the character has become upset. In your opinion, is the character justified in feeling that way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose ONE of these secondary characters to describe in detail. Explain what relevance the character has to the plot of the story. If the character did not exist, could the author still tell the same story? Why or why not?
1. Fergus, the servant boy.
2. Raymond, the herb seller.
3. Hildegarde, the hospital coordinator.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)