|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Claire reverts back in time to when she was first pregnant and in Paris with Jamie, what job does Jamie have with James Francis Edward Stuart, the exiled king of Scotland?
2. After traveling by sea on their way back to Scotland, Jamie and company travel by:
3. After Jamie attends the king's lever, what does he tell Claire?
4. Claire's stomach pains are caused by:
5. Jamie is spending more and more time with Charles. When he doesn't come home one night, who does Claire send out to look for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Claire is researching an old battle fought in Scotland. What is she trying to find out?
2. When Jamie and the other men are taken to jail to sort out what happened to Mary, Fergus guards Claire in his absence. What does Claire learn about Fergus during this time?
3. In a letter that Jamie and Claire decode, James wants Charles to find favor with King Louis. Explain why.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 4, what does Roger learn about Frank?
5. Having gone back in time, Claire jumps to 1700s Paris where she is with Jamie and pregnant. In what way is she, having traveled to the past, in the right place at the right time?
6. After Claire loses her baby, Jamie does not come to see her. What emotions does Claire go through regarding Jamie?
7. In Chapter 17, Jamie is spending more time with Charles, to the point where he comes home extremely late -- or not at all. How does Claire feel about this?
8. Explain what Claire concludes regarding the gold wedding ring still on her hand and the connection between Frank and Randall.
9. In Chapter 24, Claire gets the feeling that Jamie has gone to kill Randall after all. What was the clue that led to Claire's conclusion?
10. After she is raped, how is Mary cared for by Claire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Claire's roles as lady of the house to her work as a healer. Which role comes more naturally to her? Why? Which role made her happier? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Claire and Brianna are mother and daughter, but in many ways they are very different.
Part 1) In what ways are they similar? How do they differ?
Part 2) How would you describe the relationship between the two?
Part 3) Is there a difference between how they relate to one another at the beginning of the story and at the conclusion? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Raymond is a complex character feared by several in the story, yet Claire appears to trust him. Explain why she seems able to trust him when others don't. Where does this lack of fear on her part come from? Do you feel Raymond's actions are intended to help or hinder Claire? Why?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)