|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Running into the kitchen babbling that he has failed Jamie, what does Fergus demand?
2. When Claire faints at the palace, what does the king order?
3. Jamie asks for something from Claire's medicine box to make him look like he has what disease?
4. After Jamie attends the king's lever, what does he tell Claire?
5. After Jaime and Claire clear their minds and fall asleep, Claire calls which name out loud in her sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Mary is raped, how do Jamie and Claire try to protect her?
2. In Chapter 5, Claire begins to explain to Roger and Brianna something very important about her past. What is she trying to tell them?
3. In Chapter 24, Claire gets the feeling that Jamie has gone to kill Randall after all. What was the clue that led to Claire's conclusion?
4. After she is raped, how is Mary cared for by Claire?
5. After Jamie is released by the king, he and Claire are reunited. Describe their time together.
6. Having gone back in time, Claire jumps to 1700s Paris where she is with Jamie and pregnant. In what way is she, having traveled to the past, in the right place at the right time?
7. How does Claire feel about Louise trying to abort her unborn baby?
8. Roger discovers an old newspaper with Claire's name and picture on it. He reads the words "Returned from the Dead." What does he learn from this article?
9. How are the many gatherings and palace ball affecting Claire in her pregnant state?
10. What's the real reason Monsieur Forez describes in great, gory detail how he is to hang, draw, and quarter a traitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Claire and Jamie are done in France, they return to their Scottish village, Lallybroch, where they live and work with Jenny and Ian.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the life Claire and Jamie had in France with the life they lead in Scotland.
Part 2) Where do you feel the characters are happier? more useful? fit in better? Explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Jamie is called upon to lead men into battle. What kind of qualities or characteristics of a leader does Jamie exemplify? Provide specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A running theme in the story is that of overcoming loss. Select a passage from the book to answer the following:
Part 1) What loss is experienced in the passage? By whom?
Part 2) What is the immediate reaction to the loss?
Part 3) How is the loss ultimately overcome?
Part 4) Did any character(s) grow as a result of the loss? In what way? Explain.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)