|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Murtagh promise Jamie after apologizing for not protecting the women properly?
2. When Claire wakes up feeling ill, she lies in bed and remembers what?
3. When Claire questions Jaime about his meeting with Prince Charles Edward, what does he tell her about the prince?
4. After Jamie's duel, how long is Claire at the hospital?
5. When Brianna and Roger lead Claire to a gravestone, what name is she startled to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Claire's abilities as a caregiver at the hospital.
2. Having gone back in time, Claire jumps to 1700s Paris where she is with Jamie and pregnant. In what way is she, having traveled to the past, in the right place at the right time?
3. How do Claire and Jamie feel about returning to Lallybroch?
4. Claire learns from Fergus the truth regarding why Jamie insisted on dueling Randall despite promising her that he wouldn't. What is the real reason for the duel?
5. Explain what Jamie goes through when he gives Fergus ten lashes.
6. Claire wears her new red dress to the grand ball hosted by the king. Describe the exchange between her and Jamie about her outfit.
7. In a letter that Jamie and Claire decode, James wants Charles to find favor with King Louis. Explain why.
8. Give one example of how coming from different time periods gives Claire and Jamie differing perspectives.
9. In Chapter 24, Claire gets the feeling that Jamie has gone to kill Randall after all. What was the clue that led to Claire's conclusion?
10. In Chapter 17, Jamie is spending more time with Charles, to the point where he comes home extremely late -- or not at all. How does Claire feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ultimately, Jamie and Claire are separated, with Claire returning to the 1940s.
Part 1) Was it necessary for Claire to leave Jamie when she did? Why or why not?
Part 2) What might have happened if instead she stayed behind?
Part 3) Under the circumstances, do you feel their separation is justified? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Claire's roles as lady of the house to her work as a healer. Which role comes more naturally to her? Why? Which role made her happier? Why?
Essay Topic 3
When Claire and Jamie are done in France, they return to their Scottish village, Lallybroch, where they live and work with Jenny and Ian.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the life Claire and Jamie had in France with the life they lead in Scotland.
Part 2) Where do you feel the characters are happier? more useful? fit in better? Explain why.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)