|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 42, what does Jamie learn has happened to his men?
(a) They were delayed in Stirling.
(b) They have been kept in Tolbooth.
(c) They got lost.
(d) They suffered from food poisoning.
2. How does Claire get money for blankets?
(a) She pawns her pearl necklace.
(b) She steals from Charles' servant.
(c) She is paid for running errands.
(d) She assists at the local hospital.
3. What is Jamie's nickname during the battles between the Scots and the English?
(a) Jamie The Brave.
(b) Red Jamie.
(c) Red Chieftain.
(d) Fierce Warrior.
4. At the end of the book, what does Brianna come to realize regarding her mother's tale?
(a) That it's all true, the whole story.
(b) She cannot forgive her mother for what she did.
(c) Claire has obviously gone insane.
(d) It is a complete lie.
5. When Jamie rushes to the aid of his warriors, why does Claire stay in Edinburgh?
(a) To tend to the men held prisoner.
(b) To convince Charles to change his plans.
(c) To learn new healing techniques.
(d) To stay out of the way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claire go after she breaks into the Institute for the Study of Highland Folklore and Antiquities?
2. What does Alex announce to the small group gathered around him when he is close to death?
3. Why do Claire and Roger visit the Institute for the Study of Highland Folklore and Antiques?
4. What ailment does Claire tell Jamie's grandfather that he has?
5. As Claire watches Jenny take care of her children while their husbands have gone out to buy supplies such as needles and pickling spices, what does she wonder?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they discuss battle details, why does Jamie get angry with his grandfather?
2. Earlier in the book, Murtagh swears he will avenge the rape of Mary and attempted rape of Claire. In Chapter 44, how does he accomplish this?
3. Why does Claire tend to Alex?
4. When they head for battle, how do Jamie's warriors take the fact that a young man among them is full of lice?
5. Mary Rabbie's son suffers from epileptic seizures. How does Claire end up helping Mary and her son?
6. When Jamie and Claire leave his grandfather's residence and meet up again with Ian, what disturbing fact do they realize?
7. If Geillis Duncan fails to go through the standing stones, what might be the outcome for Roger?
8. Before Jamie goes to Stirling, what two key pieces of information does Claire share with him about Geillis Duncan?
9. What series of events brings Jamie to share with Ian the whole story of the torture he went through at the hands of Jack Randall?
10. What is Alex's final request of Jamie and Claire?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)