|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the two say farewell to each other for the last time, Claire is startled when Jamie tells her:
(a) He's in love with Mary.
(b) He's deserting his men.
(c) To save his men, he must leave her behind.
(d) He knows she's pregnant again.
2. What past mistake does Colum MacKenzie apologize to Claire for?
(a) Charging her with witchcraft and sentencing her to hang.
(b) Thinking she was spying on him.
(c) Mistaking her for a tavern prostitute.
(d) Accusing her of killing her newborn.
3. What does Jamie try to persuade his grandfather to do with regards to the battle he and his men are fighting?
(a) Join the battle with Charles.
(b) Supply horses for his men.
(c) Feed his group.
(d) Offer his men shelter.
4. Why did Jamie attack Ian while they spent the night at a cottage on their trip back home with supplies for their wives?
(a) Both men were drunk.
(b) Ian insulted him.
(c) He mistakenly thought Ian was Jack Randall.
(d) Ian insulted Claire.
5. What diagnosis does Claire give Alex?
Short Answer Questions
1. As English soldiers make their way up to the building where Claire and others are hiding, what does Jamie tell her and those who are with her?
2. As the Battle of Prestonpans begins, where does Claire set up a triage for the wounded?
3. When Claire notices Lord Lovat is not looking well, what does she ask him?
4. At the ball in honor of Charles, what does Dougal announce?
5. In Chapter 39, what instructions does Charles give Jamie regarding battle plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jamie and Claire arrive at Beaufort Castle, how does his grandfather greet them?
2. Describe a few differences between Jonathan and his brother Alex.
3. Describe how Jamie regards and treats his men.
4. Why does Claire tend to Alex?
5. How does Claire feel about going with the English troops?
6. Do Roger and Brianna believe Claire's story when she finishes telling her account?
7. What convinces Claire that she and Roger are after the right person in their search for Geillis?
8. What is Alex's final request of Jamie and Claire?
9. When Jamie and Claire leave his grandfather's residence and meet up again with Ian, what disturbing fact do they realize?
10. What series of events brings Jamie to share with Ian the whole story of the torture he went through at the hands of Jack Randall?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)