|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many fire lizard egg pots does Piemur find in Lord Meron's room?
2. What does Piemur use to protect his skin from the sun?
3. What type of food does Stupid eat?
4. What color hair does Sharra have?
5. How many turns ago did Lord Meron get his first batch of fire lizards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about the plants on the Southern Continent as opposed to the rest of Pern?
2. How does Piemur feel when he learns that Lord Meron has more than his fair share of fire lizards?
3. Why are Menolly and Sebell sent to the Southern Continent?
4. How do the people of Nabol react to the news of Deckter being named heir to the city?
5. What does Piemur find trapped under a female runner beast's corpse?
6. What is Sebell's opinion of Lord Meron and his illness?
7. How does Sebell feel when he figures out that the drudge people are looking for is Piemur?
8. List five of the food items Piemur eats to survive while he is living in the wilderness of the Southern Continent.
9. Why does Piemur disguise himself as a drudge once he is in Nabol?
10. Why does Master Robinton not hold Menolly to blame for Piemur's bad behavior in Nabol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Piemur lands on the Southern Continent, he is disoriented, tired, hungry, and thirsty. Yet, above all else, he takes care of his fire lizard egg. Write an essay that explains how Piemur is able to live for so long by himself on the Southern Continent. Why does he refuse to go for help? Explain the motivations and reasons he has for the actions he takes. Use examples from the book to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Dragondrums ends with Piemur being appointed journeyman-drummer for the Southern Hold. He is elated at his new position, and he wishes that he could tell all of Pern about it. Write an essay that explains why the Southern Continent is a fitting home for Piemur. Predict what happens after the final lines of the story based upon events foreshadowed in Chapter 11. Use examples from the book to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Harpers are respected by most of the people who live on Pern. Their skills are often requested for events at a Lord's Hold or a Weyr. Write an essay that explains why Harpers are valued. Include examples of times in the story when Piemur, Menolly, Sebell, or Master Robinton are required to perform at a specific function. Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)