|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows the MAIT team members where to place their explosives to generate the maximum effect?
2. According to Sandecker's plan, how much time will Pitt and Giordino have to get away from the bomb after setting the timer before the bomb explodes?
3. Where do the five remaining members of MAIT meet to plan their attack on Ajima Island?
4. After placing the explosives in the control center, what do the MAIT team members run into when they exit the elevator?
5. To what city are Loren Smith and Mike Diaz tracked to before the trail goes cold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though the Kaiten Project cannot be detonated in simultaneous fashion until the codes are reprogrammed, why is it still dangerous?
2. When Kamatori reaches the cliff where Pitt had been and sees all of the blood, what does Kamatori believe?
3. When the kamikaze detonates the nuclear bomb on U.S. soil, what does the President want to do?
4. While the President is waiting to see if Pitt's mission is successful, Tsuboi contacts the President. What are Tsuboi's demands?
5. What is the central concept driving Suma's plan to wreak havoc in the world and allow Japan to assume control?
6. Why does Tsuboi decide to manually detonate at least one of the nuclear bomb cars?
7. What does the person concealed in the Murmoto car think as the nuclear device is examined?
8. What was the tensest moment of Pitt's mission to put the nuclear bomb into place?
9. Why does Kamatori believe his mission to eliminate Pitt and Giordino's failed?
10. What are Raymond Jordan's intentions concerning Hideki Suma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Pitt has been greatly affected by the abduction of Loren Smith. Discuss how Loren's abduction affects not only Pitt's worldview, but also his determination to pursue Loren's pursuers. How does Loren's abduction affect Pitt's mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the three main desires of Hideki Suma - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Suma's reasoning behind the demand, what Suma hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by the United States.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Tsuboi's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and he turns on Suma the instant Suma becomes a potential liability. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino, Hideki Suma, and Ichori Tsuboi. Support your observations.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)