|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he confronts Kamatori in the study, what weapon does Pitt take from Kamatori's wall?
2. How many men are in the ambulance that pursues Pitt and the others as they head for the Dulles airport?
3. Who helps Pitt during the fight by distracting Kamatori?
4. Under whose care is Toshie placed when the crisis is over?
5. How does Tsuboi plan to manually detonate one of the nuclear bomb cars?
Short Essay Questions
1. While the President is waiting to see if Pitt's mission is successful, Tsuboi contacts the President. What are Tsuboi's demands?
2. What role is planned for Pitt and Giordino as the MAIT team members get ready to destroy Suma's control center?
3. When Kamatori reaches the cliff where Pitt had been and sees all of the blood, what does Kamatori believe?
4. Why is Kamatori pleased that Pitt and Giordino have been given to Kamatori as a gift from Suma?
5. Why does Kamatori believe his mission to eliminate Pitt and Giordino's failed?
6. Why are Suma's technicians not alarmed when they find a decommissioned robot?
7. Even though the Kaiten Project cannot be detonated in simultaneous fashion until the codes are reprogrammed, why is it still dangerous?
8. After Dirk Pitt's obituary appears in the newspaper, Giordino and Sandecker are at Pitt's hangar. Why are the two men saddened?
9. When the kamikaze detonates the nuclear bomb on U.S. soil, what does the President want to do?
10. Why does Suma take Loren Smith and Mike Diaz for a tour of his island facility before sending them back to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Craig Plunkett and Raul Salazar.
a) How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b) What is revealed about each character as they are trapped aboard Old Gert awaiting either death or rescue?
Essay Topic 2
Al Giordino has accompanied Dirk Pitt on mission after dangerous mission throughout the course of the story. However, as the final mission looms, Dirk Pitt refuses to let Giordino accompany him. Why does Pitt refuse to let Giordino accompany him? What makes this mission different from their other missions? Do you agree with Pitt's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Dirk Pitt's life.
a) Identify three characters or group who try to kill Pitt. Describe the situation and how Pitt escapes.
b) Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Pitt, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)