|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part does Kamatori lose in the fight with Pitt?
2. What is the name of the doctor on Ajima Island?
3. Who is Suma's second-in-command on the island?
4. Where do the five remaining members of MAIT meet to plan their attack on Ajima Island?
5. What is Tsuboi known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kamatori believe his mission to eliminate Pitt and Giordino's failed?
2. After the MAIT members are captured on Suma's island, what does Suma share with his captives as they all dine together?
3. While the President is waiting to see if Pitt's mission is successful, Tsuboi contacts the President. What are Tsuboi's demands?
4. Back at the house when he is selecting his next victim, why does Kamatori choose Fox instead of Weatherhill?
5. Even though the Kaiten Project cannot be detonated in simultaneous fashion until the codes are reprogrammed, why is it still dangerous?
6. Why are Suma's technicians not alarmed when they find a decommissioned robot?
7. When Tsuboi orders the helicopter shot down, what unpleasant conclusion do Jordan and Kern reach about Suma?
8. What are Raymond Jordan's intentions concerning Hideki Suma?
9. What does the person concealed in the Murmoto car think as the nuclear device is examined?
10. With Suma's capture by the Americans, why is the Kaiten Project now set back by several weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Pitt has been greatly affected by the abduction of Loren Smith. Discuss how Loren's abduction affects not only Pitt's worldview, but also his determination to pursue Loren's pursuers. How does Loren's abduction affect Pitt's mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
Essay Topic 2
Al Giordino has accompanied Dirk Pitt on mission after dangerous mission throughout the course of the story. However, as the final mission looms, Dirk Pitt refuses to let Giordino accompany him. Why does Pitt refuse to let Giordino accompany him? What makes this mission different from their other missions? Do you agree with Pitt's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the three main desires of Hideki Suma - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Suma's reasoning behind the demand, what Suma hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by the United States.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)