Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that happens upon the drifting ship and sends a boarding party over?
2. How long does it take Pitt and Plunkett to reach the mountain summit they are headed for?
3. Who calls Pitt at home and declares his confidence that the nuclear bombs will be found within a month?
4. How many ships like the Divine Star are headed to the United States?
5. What area is NOT mentioned as one to which the bomb cars are being sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens because of the nuclear explosion that forces the immediate release of the oceanographic team?
2. Name three things that Tsuboi wants to see happen.
3. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
4. Why is Pitt not surprised when Jordan tries to sneak into his home and surprise Pitt?
5. What is the central concept driving Suma's plan to wreak havoc in the world and allow Japan to assume control?
6. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
7. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
8. On Ajima Island, why is Kamatori being berated by Suma?
9. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
10. Why do the robots not attack the three MAIT members when they enter Suma's control room?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Raymond Jordan and Hideki Suma.
a) How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b) Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of fairness - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
The Japanese use several different methods to try to force the Americans to meet their demands.
a) Identify three tactics used by the Japanese to force the Americans' hands.
b) For each tactic identified, explain why the Japanese chose this method of persuasion.
c) Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and success or failure.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Dirk Pitt changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Pitt's character when he is first introduced in the story, after Loren has been abducted, when Pitt is captured on Ajima Island, and when Pitt sets out on his final mission. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)