|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which crewmember first hears the unexpected sounds?
2. What is the name of the satellite photo expert in Washington?
3. What do the crew members hear that makes them think they are hallucinating?
4. What is the name of the captain on the ship that authorizes sending the boarding party to explore the drifting ship?
5. Which crewmember simply wants to turn the remaining systems off and die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Suma relatively unconcerned that the Divine Star blew up?
2. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
3. What additional steps must the ground crew take in order to load the nuclear bomb onto the Dennings' Demons?
4. What is the purpose of the congressional subcommittee that Loren Smith serves on?
5. Why is the pod less buoyant than expected, so it does not reach the ocean surface?
6. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
7. When Dennings first sees the nuclear bomb, what does he think it looks like?
8. Why is Old Gert not completely destroyed by the explosion as the two ships on the surface were?
9. Why does Steen not inform Captain Korvold about the dangers aboard the Divine Star?
10. Why is Giordino so upset that Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Raymond Jordan and Hideki Suma.
a) How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b) Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of fairness - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political argument regarding the taxation of Japanese companies doing business on American soil from the perspective of both the Americans and the Japanese. Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the positions taken by Loren Smith and Hideki Suma.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dirk Pitt and Craig Plunkett.
a) How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b) How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c) Looking forward, how might being trapped on Old Gert have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not?
Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)