|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that happens upon the drifting ship and sends a boarding party over?
2. What is the name of the pilot who successfully drops a nuclear bomb on Japan?
3. What is the real name of the art specialist who met with Suma in Edo City?
4. What does Pitt find after running to the vehicle that he chased from the racetrack after Loren was abducted?
5. Why does the second transport sub not return to Old Gert to rescue Pitt and Plunkett?
Short Essay Questions
1. What additional steps must the ground crew take in order to load the nuclear bomb onto the Dennings' Demons?
2. As Pitt and Giordino accompany Admiral Sandecker to Washington, why does Pitt grow increasing angry with the Admiral?
3. Why does Steen not inform Captain Korvold about the dangers aboard the Divine Star?
4. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
5. Upon hearing that the Senator has disappeared, what conclusion do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino reach?
6. Why does Craig Plunkett not simply shut off Old Gert's systems and let the crew members die as their oxygen supply dwindles down?
7. What is the purpose of the congressional subcommittee that Loren Smith serves on?
8. As Pitt and Fox descend in the elevator to the subterranean, soundproofed room at Headquarters, why do Pitt's suspicions of Fox grow?
9. Why is Giordino so upset that Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
10. Why is the salvage operation of the Divine Star put on hold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the three main desires of Hideki Suma - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Suma's reasoning behind the demand, what Suma hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Dirk Pitt changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Pitt's character when he is first introduced in the story, after Loren has been abducted, when Pitt is captured on Ajima Island, and when Pitt sets out on his final mission. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the death, and how the character's death affects the overall plot. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)