|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Conrow Guyot?
2. What is the name of the Commander aboard the nuclear submarine sent to collect data and debris from the explosion site?
3. What is predicted to occur within twelve hours of the oceanographic team's rescue?
4. Who does Pitt realize is a covert operative spying on Soggy Acres while en route to Washington D.C.?
5. As Chapter 1 opens, what is the name of the ship that is adrift in the Western Pacific?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central concept driving Suma's plan to wreak havoc in the world and allow Japan to assume control?
2. Why is Suma relatively unconcerned that the Divine Star blew up?
3. Why is Kamatori pleased that Pitt and Giordino have been given to Kamatori as a gift from Suma?
4. Why does Pitt refuse to let Giordino accompany him into Big Ben and to the ocean floor?
5. How was Pitt able to put the robotic dogs out of commission?
6. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
7. Why does Craig Plunkett not simply shut off Old Gert's systems and let the crew members die as their oxygen supply dwindles down?
8. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
9. What is Edo City?
10. What anomaly is seen on satellite imagery as the satellite expert delivers his brief regarding the explosion aboard the Divine Star?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Tsuboi's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and he turns on Suma the instant Suma becomes a potential liability. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino, Hideki Suma, and Ichori Tsuboi. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Hideki Suma, Raymond Jordan, Dirk Pitt, Stacy Fox, and Ichiro Tsuboi.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Dirk Pitt changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Pitt's character when he is first introduced in the story, after Loren has been abducted, when Pitt is captured on Ajima Island, and when Pitt sets out on his final mission. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,739 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)