|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many automobiles are aboard the drifting ship?
2. What was the original time frame for the rescuers' secret project that is now compromised by the need to rescue the oceanographic team?
3. How many pounds overweight is the Dennings' Demons when it takes off?
4. How long does it take Pitt and Plunkett to reach the mountain summit they are headed for?
5. What is the name of the Commander aboard the nuclear submarine sent to collect data and debris from the explosion site?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Yasukuni shrine?
2. What is Edo City?
3. What fleeting thought does Dennings have as he watches the nuclear bomb being loaded onto his aircraft?
4. What is the mission of the British survey vessel in the Western Pacific?
5. When Jim Hanamura is late reporting in, Pitt is concerned. Why is Hanamura late checking in?
6. As Pitt and Giordino accompany Admiral Sandecker to Washington, why does Pitt grow increasing angry with the Admiral?
7. What anomaly is seen on satellite imagery as the satellite expert delivers his brief regarding the explosion aboard the Divine Star?
8. As Pitt and Fox descend in the elevator to the subterranean, soundproofed room at Headquarters, why do Pitt's suspicions of Fox grow?
9. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
10. Why is the pod less buoyant than expected, so it does not reach the ocean surface?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the death, and how the character's death affects the overall plot. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Craig Plunkett and Raul Salazar.
a) How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b) What is revealed about each character as they are trapped aboard Old Gert awaiting either death or rescue?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dirk Pitt and Craig Plunkett.
a) How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b) How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c) Looking forward, how might being trapped on Old Gert have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not?
Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)