|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem do warning lights indicate that Pitt and Plunkett have aboard Big John?
2. What do the crew members hear that makes them think they are hallucinating?
3. According to the meeting that takes place in Suma's office after the bugged painting has been installed, how long will it be before every car is in place?
4. What is Conrow Guyot?
5. How many times is Jim Hanamura shot when he is fleeing from Suma's men?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jim Hanamura is late reporting in, Pitt is concerned. Why is Hanamura late checking in?
2. When Dennings first sees the nuclear bomb, what does he think it looks like?
3. Why is the salvage operation of the Divine Star put on hold?
4. Why is the pod less buoyant than expected, so it does not reach the ocean surface?
5. What is the mission of the British survey vessel in the Western Pacific?
6. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
7. Describe what the cruise ship looks like after the explosion occurs.
8. What anomaly is seen on satellite imagery as the satellite expert delivers his brief regarding the explosion aboard the Divine Star?
9. Why does Steen not inform Captain Korvold about the dangers aboard the Divine Star?
10. Why is Old Gert not completely destroyed by the explosion as the two ships on the surface were?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the three main desires of Hideki Suma - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Suma's reasoning behind the demand, what Suma hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by the United States.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Tsuboi's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and he turns on Suma the instant Suma becomes a potential liability. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino, Hideki Suma, and Ichori Tsuboi. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Pitt and Giordino can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways these two men's similarities facilitate their understanding of each other and deepens their relationship.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)