|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the pilot who successfully drops a nuclear bomb on Japan?
2. When first spotted, about how far below the ocean's surface are Pitt and Plunkett?
3. Who is aboard the second transport sub to leave Old Gert?
4. What is the name of the Commander aboard the nuclear submarine sent to collect data and debris from the explosion site?
5. Who has been recruited by Suma to take delivery of specific cars from the incoming ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Steen not inform Captain Korvold about the dangers aboard the Divine Star?
2. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
3. During the meeting at Headquarters, what does Pitt learn about the Soggy Acres project?
4. What is the Yasukuni shrine?
5. What does an entry in the abandoned ship's log alert the boarding party to?
6. Why is Suma relatively unconcerned that the Divine Star blew up?
7. What is unique about the identity of the person Pitt races against at the track while Loren is being abducted?
8. What anomaly is seen on satellite imagery as the satellite expert delivers his brief regarding the explosion aboard the Divine Star?
9. After the first two transport subs have left Old Gert, what do the remaining people aboard Old Gert do?
10. What is the purpose of the congressional subcommittee that Loren Smith serves on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Dirk Pitt changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Pitt's character when he is first introduced in the story, after Loren has been abducted, when Pitt is captured on Ajima Island, and when Pitt sets out on his final mission. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Hideki Suma is a supremely confident man. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Suma helped by his utter confidence? How is Suma hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the political argument regarding the taxation of Japanese companies doing business on American soil from the perspective of both the Americans and the Japanese. Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the positions taken by Loren Smith and Hideki Suma.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)