|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of airplane is the Dennings' Demons?
2. Who is aboard the first transport sub to leave Old Gert?
3. What was the original time frame for the rescuers' secret project that is now compromised by the need to rescue the oceanographic team?
4. What is the name of the senator serving with Smith on the congressional subcommittee?
5. Who calls Pitt at home and declares his confidence that the nuclear bombs will be found within a month?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the identity of the person Pitt races against at the track while Loren is being abducted?
2. After the first two transport subs have left Old Gert, what do the remaining people aboard Old Gert do?
3. As Pitt and Fox descend in the elevator to the subterranean, soundproofed room at Headquarters, why do Pitt's suspicions of Fox grow?
4. What fleeting thought does Dennings have as he watches the nuclear bomb being loaded onto his aircraft?
5. What is the purpose of the congressional subcommittee that Loren Smith serves on?
6. As Chapter 7 opens, the Old Gert's crew is barely alive. Why is carbon dioxide rapidly building up?
7. What emotions does Dennings experience knowing that he and his crew have been selected to carry the nuclear device to Japan?
8. As Pitt and Giordino accompany Admiral Sandecker to Washington, why does Pitt grow increasing angry with the Admiral?
9. During the meeting at Headquarters, what does Pitt learn about the Soggy Acres project?
10. When Jim Hanamura is late reporting in, Pitt is concerned. Why is Hanamura late checking in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "Dragon." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the struggles the characters face, Suma's evil plot, the overarching political climate, and the determination of Pitt to save the world?
Essay Topic 2
Roy Orita wears different masks in the story. Both a patriot and a traitor, Orita is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Orita. How would his plan for helping the Japanese rise to power have been affected had he not been a successful double agent? Why is it necessary for Orita to wear different masks? Could he have been successful simply working for the Japanese government without being a double agent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Dirk Pitt's life.
a) Identify three characters or group who try to kill Pitt. Describe the situation and how Pitt escapes.
b) Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Pitt, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)