Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that happens upon the drifting ship and sends a boarding party over?
2. How long does it take Pitt and Plunkett to reach the mountain summit they are headed for?
3. Who calls Pitt at home and declares his confidence that the nuclear bombs will be found within a month?
4. How many ships like the Divine Star are headed to the United States?
5. What area is NOT mentioned as one to which the bomb cars are being sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens because of the nuclear explosion that forces the immediate release of the oceanographic team?
2. Name three things that Tsuboi wants to see happen.
3. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
4. Why is Pitt not surprised when Jordan tries to sneak into his home and surprise Pitt?
5. What is the central concept driving Suma's plan to wreak havoc in the world and allow Japan to assume control?
6. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
7. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
8. On Ajima Island, why is Kamatori being berated by Suma?
9. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
10. Why do the robots not attack the three MAIT members when they enter Suma's control room?
Suma's grand scheme does not use the nuclear devices hidden in the automobiles to destroy life. The simultaneous explosions have another purpose. Describe the result Suma hopes to achieve with the simultaneous nuclear explosions. Is this scenario likely in today's world? Why or why not?
There is no doubt that Pitt has been greatly affected by the abduction of Loren Smith. Discuss how Loren's abduction affects not only Pitt's worldview, but also his determination to pursue Loren's pursuers. How does Loren's abduction affect Pitt's mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
Compare and contrast Dirk Pitt and Craig Plunkett.
a) How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b) How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c) Looking forward, how might being trapped on Old Gert have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not?
Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)