|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long can the British survey vessel's submersible support a crew of three people?
2. How many Japanese men are sent to abduct Loren Smith?
3. When the Big John stops rising, how far away is the ocean surface?
4. How long does it take Pitt and Plunkett to reach the mountain summit they are headed for?
5. What is the name of the British survey vessel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the salvage operation of the Divine Star put on hold?
2. What is the Yasukuni shrine?
3. Describe what the first transport sub expected to find when it reached the ocean surface.
4. Upon hearing that the Senator has disappeared, what conclusion do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino reach?
5. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
6. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
7. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
8. Why is Giordino so upset that Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
9. What is the purpose of the congressional subcommittee that Loren Smith serves on?
10. What is the mission of the British survey vessel in the Western Pacific?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Dirk Pitt's life.
a) Identify three characters or group who try to kill Pitt. Describe the situation and how Pitt escapes.
b) Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Pitt, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political argument regarding the taxation of Japanese companies doing business on American soil from the perspective of both the Americans and the Japanese. Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the positions taken by Loren Smith and Hideki Suma.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a) Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b) Why do these characters rely on deception?
c) What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors? Would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)