|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the nuclear bomb created?
2. What was the original time frame for the rescuers' secret project that is now compromised by the need to rescue the oceanographic team?
3. Who does Jim Hanamura entrust to deliver the blueprints of Suma's hideout to the American Embassy?
4. Who is aboard the first transport sub to leave Old Gert?
5. When first spotted, about how far below the ocean's surface are Pitt and Plunkett?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Yasukuni shrine?
2. As Chapter 7 opens, the Old Gert's crew is barely alive. Why is carbon dioxide rapidly building up?
3. Describe what the first transport sub expected to find when it reached the ocean surface.
4. When Dennings first sees the nuclear bomb, what does he think it looks like?
5. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
6. Why is the pod less buoyant than expected, so it does not reach the ocean surface?
7. As Pitt and Fox descend in the elevator to the subterranean, soundproofed room at Headquarters, why do Pitt's suspicions of Fox grow?
8. After the first two transport subs have left Old Gert, what do the remaining people aboard Old Gert do?
9. Why is Giordino so upset that Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
10. Name three things that Tsuboi wants to see happen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk Pitt and Craig Plunkett.
a) How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b) How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c) Looking forward, how might being trapped on Old Gert have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not?
Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Raymond Jordan and Hideki Suma.
a) How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b) Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of fairness - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the three main desires of Hideki Suma - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Suma's reasoning behind the demand, what Suma hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by the United States.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)