|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the crew members hear that makes them think they are hallucinating?
2. How many miles from an unnamed island does the Dennings' Demon crash land?
3. What type of plane shoots at the unsuspecting Dennings' Demons?
4. In Chapter 31, what is the name of the farmer who discovers dozens of old turbo aircraft in a hidden bunker?
5. After leaving the meeting room at Headquarters, who does Pitt call and invite to a meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What additional steps must the ground crew take in order to load the nuclear bomb onto the Dennings' Demons?
2. Why is Giordino so upset that Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
3. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
4. Why is Old Gert not completely destroyed by the explosion as the two ships on the surface were?
5. Describe what the cruise ship looks like after the explosion occurs.
6. What fleeting thought does Dennings have as he watches the nuclear bomb being loaded onto his aircraft?
7. During the meeting at Headquarters, what does Pitt learn about the Soggy Acres project?
8. When Jim Hanamura is late reporting in, Pitt is concerned. Why is Hanamura late checking in?
9. Upon hearing that the Senator has disappeared, what conclusion do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino reach?
10. Why does the crew of the ship that happens upon the drifting vessel send a boarding party over to the apparently abandoned ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Raymond Jordan and Hideki Suma.
a) How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b) Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of fairness - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Dirk Pitt's life.
a) Identify three characters or group who try to kill Pitt. Describe the situation and how Pitt escapes.
b) Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Pitt, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Hideki Suma is a supremely confident man. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Suma helped by his utter confidence? How is Suma hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)