Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that happens upon the drifting ship and sends a boarding party over?
2. How long does it take Pitt and Plunkett to reach the mountain summit they are headed for?
3. Who calls Pitt at home and declares his confidence that the nuclear bombs will be found within a month?
4. How many ships like the Divine Star are headed to the United States?
5. What area is NOT mentioned as one to which the bomb cars are being sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens because of the nuclear explosion that forces the immediate release of the oceanographic team?
2. Name three things that Tsuboi wants to see happen.
3. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
4. Why is Pitt not surprised when Jordan tries to sneak into his home and surprise Pitt?
5. What is the central concept driving Suma's plan to wreak havoc in the world and allow Japan to assume control?
6. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
7. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
8. On Ajima Island, why is Kamatori being berated by Suma?
9. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
10. Why do the robots not attack the three MAIT members when they enter Suma's control room?
Essay Topic 1
Hideki Suma is a supremely confident man. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Suma helped by his utter confidence? How is Suma hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Al Giordino has accompanied Dirk Pitt on mission after dangerous mission throughout the course of the story. However, as the final mission looms, Dirk Pitt refuses to let Giordino accompany him. Why does Pitt refuse to let Giordino accompany him? What makes this mission different from their other missions? Do you agree with Pitt's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "Dragon." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the struggles the characters face, Suma's evil plot, the overarching political climate, and the determination of Pitt to save the world?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)