|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is aboard the second transport sub to leave Old Gert?
2. What song do the men in the nuclear submarine's sonar room hear playing through the ocean?
3. What is the name of the British survey vessel's submersible?
4. In the subterranean room at Headquarters, who first approaches Pitt and tells him that they will be working together?
5. To whom does Giordino tell the news when he realizes Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the pod less buoyant than expected, so it does not reach the ocean surface?
2. During the meeting at Headquarters, what does Pitt learn about the Soggy Acres project?
3. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
4. What does an entry in the abandoned ship's log alert the boarding party to?
5. What anomaly is seen on satellite imagery as the satellite expert delivers his brief regarding the explosion aboard the Divine Star?
6. Why does Craig Plunkett not simply shut off Old Gert's systems and let the crew members die as their oxygen supply dwindles down?
7. Why is Giordino so upset that Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
8. What is the purpose of the congressional subcommittee that Loren Smith serves on?
9. After the first two transport subs have left Old Gert, what do the remaining people aboard Old Gert do?
10. What happens because of the nuclear explosion that forces the immediate release of the oceanographic team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Raymond Jordan and Hideki Suma.
a) How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b) Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of fairness - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dirk Pitt and Craig Plunkett.
a) How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b) How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c) Looking forward, how might being trapped on Old Gert have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not?
Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The Japanese use several different methods to try to force the Americans to meet their demands.
a) Identify three tactics used by the Japanese to force the Americans' hands.
b) For each tactic identified, explain why the Japanese chose this method of persuasion.
c) Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and success or failure.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)