Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that happens upon the drifting ship and sends a boarding party over?
2. How long does it take Pitt and Plunkett to reach the mountain summit they are headed for?
3. Who calls Pitt at home and declares his confidence that the nuclear bombs will be found within a month?
4. How many ships like the Divine Star are headed to the United States?
5. What area is NOT mentioned as one to which the bomb cars are being sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens because of the nuclear explosion that forces the immediate release of the oceanographic team?
2. Name three things that Tsuboi wants to see happen.
3. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
4. Why is Pitt not surprised when Jordan tries to sneak into his home and surprise Pitt?
5. What is the central concept driving Suma's plan to wreak havoc in the world and allow Japan to assume control?
6. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
7. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
8. On Ajima Island, why is Kamatori being berated by Suma?
9. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
10. Why do the robots not attack the three MAIT members when they enter Suma's control room?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the three main desires of Hideki Suma - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Suma's reasoning behind the demand, what Suma hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by the United States.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Pitt has been greatly affected by the abduction of Loren Smith. Discuss how Loren's abduction affects not only Pitt's worldview, but also his determination to pursue Loren's pursuers. How does Loren's abduction affect Pitt's mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the political argument regarding the taxation of Japanese companies doing business on American soil from the perspective of both the Americans and the Japanese. Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the positions taken by Loren Smith and Hideki Suma.
This section contains 1,676 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)