|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Conrow Guyot?
2. What is the name of the senator serving with Smith on the congressional subcommittee?
3. What is the name of the pilot who successfully drops a nuclear bomb on Japan?
4. Who is NOT present when the abduction of Loren Smith is attempted?
5. Where was the nuclear bomb created?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Edo City?
2. When Dennings first sees the nuclear bomb, what does he think it looks like?
3. Describe what the cruise ship looks like after the explosion occurs.
4. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
5. Why does Steen not inform Captain Korvold about the dangers aboard the Divine Star?
6. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
7. Upon hearing that the Senator has disappeared, what conclusion do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino reach?
8. Why does Steen not want the Captain to send another boarding party to the Divine Star?
9. What is unique about the identity of the person Pitt races against at the track while Loren is being abducted?
10. What is the mission of the British survey vessel in the Western Pacific?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "Dragon." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the struggles the characters face, Suma's evil plot, the overarching political climate, and the determination of Pitt to save the world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told concerning the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a) Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b) Why do these characters rely on deception?
c) What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors? Would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)