|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While speculating about Loren's abduction, who else does Pitt learn has disappeared?
2. The abductors are carrying briefcases. What is in their briefcases?
3. In Chapter 31, what is the name of the farmer who discovers dozens of old turbo aircraft in a hidden bunker?
4. How many passengers aboard the Invincible survive the explosion's shock wave?
5. What state does Loren Smith represent in Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does an entry in the abandoned ship's log alert the boarding party to?
2. What is the purpose of the congressional subcommittee that Loren Smith serves on?
3. What fleeting thought does Dennings have as he watches the nuclear bomb being loaded onto his aircraft?
4. After the first two transport subs have left Old Gert, what do the remaining people aboard Old Gert do?
5. When Dennings first sees the nuclear bomb, what does he think it looks like?
6. Why is the pod less buoyant than expected, so it does not reach the ocean surface?
7. Why does the crew of the ship that happens upon the drifting vessel send a boarding party over to the apparently abandoned ship?
8. What is unique about the identity of the person Pitt races against at the track while Loren is being abducted?
9. What additional steps must the ground crew take in order to load the nuclear bomb onto the Dennings' Demons?
10. When Jim Hanamura is late reporting in, Pitt is concerned. Why is Hanamura late checking in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the three main desires of Hideki Suma - the reasons behind his grand scheme. For each demand, tell Suma's reasoning behind the demand, what Suma hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Dirk Pitt changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Pitt's character when he is first introduced in the story, after Loren has been abducted, when Pitt is captured on Ajima Island, and when Pitt sets out on his final mission. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that Pitt has been greatly affected by the abduction of Loren Smith. Discuss how Loren's abduction affects not only Pitt's worldview, but also his determination to pursue Loren's pursuers. How does Loren's abduction affect Pitt's mental state, his ability to reason, his ability to trust, and his ability to hope?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)