|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under how many feet of water does the plane finally come to rest?
2. Who is NOT present when the abduction of Loren Smith is attempted?
3. Where was the nuclear bomb created?
4. Who is aboard the repaired submersible that tries to rescue Pitt and Plunkett?
5. Who was NOT among the people to survive the explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Within minutes of boarding the abandoned ship, what symptoms do the boarding party members begin to experience?
2. What happens because of the nuclear explosion that forces the immediate release of the oceanographic team?
3. Why do the robots not attack the three MAIT members when they enter Suma's control room?
4. Describe what the cruise ship looks like after the explosion occurs.
5. On Ajima Island, why is Kamatori being berated by Suma?
6. What are Raymond Jordan's intentions concerning Hideki Suma?
7. Why are Suma's technicians not alarmed when they find a decommissioned robot?
8. Why is Pitt not surprised when Jordan tries to sneak into his home and surprise Pitt?
9. Why is Old Gert not completely destroyed by the explosion as the two ships on the surface were?
10. What was the tensest moment of Pitt's mission to put the nuclear bomb into place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Dirk Pitt changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Pitt's character when he is first introduced in the story, after Loren has been abducted, when Pitt is captured on Ajima Island, and when Pitt sets out on his final mission. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pitt and Giordino can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways these two men's similarities facilitate their understanding of each other and deepens their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
The Japanese use several different methods to try to force the Americans to meet their demands.
a) Identify three tactics used by the Japanese to force the Americans' hands.
b) For each tactic identified, explain why the Japanese chose this method of persuasion.
c) Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and success or failure.
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)