|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of airplane is the Dennings' Demons?
2. Where was the nuclear bomb created?
3. What does Pitt find after running to the vehicle that he chased from the racetrack after Loren was abducted?
4. After learning that both the Congresswoman and Senator have been abducted, who do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino also learn has been abducted?
5. How many cars are discovered to be missing from the inventory lists at the car company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the salvage operation of the Divine Star put on hold?
2. When the excavators finally reach the tunnel and locate where they expected to find the treasure, what do they find?
3. Upon hearing that the Senator has disappeared, what conclusion do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino reach?
4. What emotions does Dennings experience knowing that he and his crew have been selected to carry the nuclear device to Japan?
5. Why do the men in the repaired submersible cut the habitation pod loose from the framework of Big John?
6. Why is Giordino so upset that Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
7. Why is Old Gert not completely destroyed by the explosion as the two ships on the surface were?
8. What additional steps must the ground crew take in order to load the nuclear bomb onto the Dennings' Demons?
9. What is unique about the identity of the person Pitt races against at the track while Loren is being abducted?
10. What anomaly is seen on satellite imagery as the satellite expert delivers his brief regarding the explosion aboard the Divine Star?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Japanese use several different methods to try to force the Americans to meet their demands.
a) Identify three tactics used by the Japanese to force the Americans' hands.
b) For each tactic identified, explain why the Japanese chose this method of persuasion.
c) Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and success or failure.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the death, and how the character's death affects the overall plot. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "Dragon." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the struggles the characters face, Suma's evil plot, the overarching political climate, and the determination of Pitt to save the world?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)