|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the meeting that takes place in Suma's office after the bugged painting has been installed, how long will it be before every car is in place?
2. Who is aboard the first transport sub to leave Old Gert?
3. To what port was the drifting ship originally headed?
4. To whom does Giordino tell the news when he realizes Pitt is trapped on Old Gert?
5. After learning that both the Congresswoman and Senator have been abducted, who do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino also learn has been abducted?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Pitt and Giordino accompany Admiral Sandecker to Washington, why does Pitt grow increasing angry with the Admiral?
2. Describe what the first transport sub expected to find when it reached the ocean surface.
3. Why does the crew of the ship that happens upon the drifting vessel send a boarding party over to the apparently abandoned ship?
4. What happens because of the nuclear explosion that forces the immediate release of the oceanographic team?
5. Describe what the cruise ship looks like after the explosion occurs.
6. What is Edo City?
7. When Jim Hanamura is late reporting in, Pitt is concerned. Why is Hanamura late checking in?
8. What anomaly is seen on satellite imagery as the satellite expert delivers his brief regarding the explosion aboard the Divine Star?
9. Why is Old Gert not completely destroyed by the explosion as the two ships on the surface were?
10. Upon hearing that the Senator has disappeared, what conclusion do Pitt, Sandecker, and Giordino reach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the political argument regarding the taxation of Japanese companies doing business on American soil from the perspective of both the Americans and the Japanese. Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the positions taken by Loren Smith and Hideki Suma.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Dirk Pitt changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Pitt's character when he is first introduced in the story, after Loren has been abducted, when Pitt is captured on Ajima Island, and when Pitt sets out on his final mission. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Suma's grand scheme does not use the nuclear devices hidden in the automobiles to destroy life. The simultaneous explosions have another purpose. Describe the result Suma hopes to achieve with the simultaneous nuclear explosions. Is this scenario likely in today's world? Why or why not?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)