|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hulan realize as she is saying goodbye to David?
2. What is Angela's occupation?
3. What is one reason Miller says is the cause for problems at the dam?
4. Why is David in a hurry to get to Bashan?
5. What does the ruyi prove?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Hulan and Michael go after lunch, and what does she hear? What does Michael do?
2. How does Michael act during dinner with Hulan, and what does he talk about?
3. With whom does David meet at Cosgrove's? What does David tell this person? What is this person's response?
4. Who is David surprised to find at the auction and what does he do with him?
5. With whom does David sit during the auction? What is explained to David? Who bids on the ruyi?
6. What does David show to Wu's widow? What do David and the widow do? What does she offer David?
7. What does David do as soon as he realizes Stuart is in danger?
8. Why is Tang angry at the end of the bidding for the ruyi? What does he do, and what does David realize about Tang? What does David do when Tang leaves the auction?
9. What does Hulan say to Angela when she visits her again, and what does Angela say to Hulan's questions about when she arrived in China?
10. What does Hulan learn from Hom about what he plans to do and why he plans to do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Dragon Bones.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Dragon Bones. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Dragon Bones. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Dragon Bones interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze David. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hulan. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Michael. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Most mystery novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in Dragon Bones. Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example--in spook houses at Halloween or by reading mystery/suspense novels that contain an element of fear?
3. Are there any things any of the characters are afraid of within their control to change? What? Why do you think the characters have not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)