|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meeting is Captain Hom going to attend?
2. What does Michael enjoy more than anything?
3. How does David deal with Tang?
4. Where has Ma gone?
5. Who is Bill Tang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Hulan and Michael go after lunch, and what does she hear? What does Michael do?
2. What does Hulan learn from Hom about what he plans to do and why he plans to do it?
3. What does Hulan do with Michael after she leaves Hom, and what does he tell her?
4. What does Hulan say to Angela when she visits her again, and what does Angela say to Hulan's questions about when she arrived in China?
5. What does Angela say about Brian's notebook? What does she think about his death? What does Hulan ask her to do?
6. What does the gate watcher at the compound tell Hulan?
7. Who is David surprised to find at the auction and what does he do with him?
8. With whom does David sit during the auction? What is explained to David? Who bids on the ruyi?
9. What does Hulan know about her and David after he leaves for Hong Kong and what does she resolve to do?
10. With what does Brian become obsessed, and what does he realize about the geographic layout of the land at Site 518?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dragon Bones involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Is the murder of Lily or Brian justifiable? Use examples from Dragon Bones and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Hom was murdered? Use examples from Dragon Bones and your own life to support your answer.
4. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dragon Bones and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dragon Bones is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss A Dragon Bones based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Dragon Bones is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dragon Bones a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)