|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David find in Stuart's home?
2. What does Fitzwilliams ask after being told of Lily's death?
3. Who was in China before Brian's death?
4. Why does Miller have a sexual relationship with Lily?
5. What does Michael enjoy more than anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hulan finally realize about the courtyard? What does she ask Angela to do?
2. With whom does David sit during the auction? What is explained to David? Who bids on the ruyi?
3. What does Hulan say to Angela when she visits her again, and what does Angela say to Hulan's questions about when she arrived in China?
4. With what does Brian become obsessed, and what does he realize about the geographic layout of the land at Site 518?
5. What does Hulan ask Stuart about after David leaves for Hong Kong, and what does he tell her about Lily and about himself and artifacts?
6. What does David show to Wu's widow? What do David and the widow do? What does she offer David?
7. What does Hulan learn from Hom about what he plans to do and why he plans to do it?
8. How does Stuart feel about the dam project and why does he think it is a good project?
9. With whom does David meet at Cosgrove's? What does David tell this person? What is this person's response?
10. What does David do as soon as he realizes Stuart is in danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss A Dragon Bones based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Dragon Bones is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dragon Bones a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dragon Bones, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dragon Bones. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Dragon Bones and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Dragon Bones is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)