|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Vie Minister Zai?
2. From whom does Hulan take control of the murder scene?
3. For whom does Hulan send?
4. What does Hulan do after Chaowen's death?
5. Who is Tang Wenting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the river in the prologue?
2. What does Hulan surprise David with when they return to their room in Chapter 7, what is the result of that surprise and what does Liu question with David?
3. Who does Ma first introduce David and Liu to and what does this man tell them?
4. What has happened to Lily when David and Liu find her in her bedroom?
5. What does Hulan do when the local security forces arrive at Lily's bedroom?
6. What does Hulan do after receiving her first assignment in Chapter 1?
7. What unofficial position does Hulan have in China and why?
8. What does Catherine explain to David and Liu about Yu and what symbols does the group at lunch discuss?
9. Where do David, Hulan, and Ma go in Chapter 6? What do they see there?
10. What do David and Liu do after packing in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dragon Bones, like most novels in the detective genre, involves police officers and police work. Discuss the following:
1. What are the characteristics of an effective police officer?
2. What additional characteristics does a police detective need?
3. Base upon the criteria in #1, 2 above, discuss the following characters and analyze whether you think they are effective police officers and/or detectives: Hulan, David, Hom, Zai, and Su.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Dragon Bones, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Dragon Bones. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
In any detective novel, there are clues that point both to the real criminal(s) versus those that are designed to mislead the readers in order to add suspense. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze 5 clues that are designed to let the astute reader figure out who is the criminal(s).
2. Trace and analyze 5 clues that are designed to mislead even the astute reader in figuring out who is the criminal(s).
3. Do you enjoy being mislead in a mystery/suspense novel? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)