|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do when Hulan interviews her?
2. About what organization does Hulan repeatedly ask?
3. What does Hulan stress to the Chinese workers as she informs them of Lily's murder?
4. Upon what do Hulan and David agree as they are talking at breakfast?
5. Who is Dr. Michael Quon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ma tell Liu about the missing relics in Chapter 6?
2. Who does Ma first introduce David and Liu to and what does this man tell them?
3. Who is Hulan required to visit in Chapter 2, and what does he tell her to do?
4. What does Wu's father think happened to his son?
5. What happens when Hulan tries to stop a woman from hurting her daughter in the square?
6. Who do Liu and David meet at lunch the first day in Bashan?
7. Where do David, Hulan, and Ma go in Chapter 6? What do they see there?
8. What was Hulan given permission to do in her deal with high powered Chinese officials five years prior to the opening of the novel?
9. What is Liu Hulan doing at the opening of Chapter 1?
10. What does Hulan surprise David with when they return to their room in Chapter 7, what is the result of that surprise and what does Liu question with David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dragon Bones belongs to the historical novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Dragon Bones, like most novels in the detective genre, involves police officers and police work. Discuss the following:
1. What are the characteristics of an effective police officer?
2. What additional characteristics does a police detective need?
3. Base upon the criteria in #1, 2 above, discuss the following characters and analyze whether you think they are effective police officers and/or detectives: Hulan, David, Hom, Zai, and Su.
Essay Topic 3
In any detective novel, there are clues that point both to the real criminal(s) versus those that are designed to mislead the readers in order to add suspense. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze 5 clues that are designed to let the astute reader figure out who is the criminal(s).
2. Trace and analyze 5 clues that are designed to mislead even the astute reader in figuring out who is the criminal(s).
3. Do you enjoy being mislead in a mystery/suspense novel? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)