|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hulan go to see regarding her new assignment?
2. What does the local farmer note about the body?
3. About what does Hulan lament?
4. Who is Brian McCarthy?
5. Where does David go while Hulan is interviewing the foreigners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hulan do when the local security forces arrive at Lily's bedroom?
2. What does Michael say when Hulan interviews him?
3. Where do David, Hulan, and Ma go in Chapter 6? What do they see there?
4. What has happened to Lily when David and Liu find her in her bedroom?
5. What does Brian's sister tell them about him, what does Lily say when she joins them in conversation?
6. Who is Hulan required to visit in Chapter 2, and what does he tell her to do?
7. What do David and Liu do after packing in Chapter 4?
8. What does Wu's father think happened to his son?
9. What does Ma say about the people who have died at Site 518 thus far?
10. What is Liu Hulan doing at the opening of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? Would you consider the example in the above paragraph foreshadowing? Why or why not? Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
2. Discuss another example of foreshadowing in Dragon Bones, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Dragon Bones and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Dragon Bones interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze David. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hulan. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Michael. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dragon Bones is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)