|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one important missing artifact that Ma discusses?
2. To what does the conversation shift when Hulan indicates she is investigating a murder?
3. What does Hulan do as they pass through Qutang Gorge?
4. What did Hulan once fail to do?
5. What does Lily not want to reveal in front of the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian's sister tell them about him, what does Lily say when she joins them in conversation?
2. What does Ma say about the people who have died at Site 518 thus far?
3. How does Hulan think Lily's death is related to Hulan?
4. Who does Hulan interview about Lily?
5. What does Wu's father think happened to his son?
6. What does Hulan surprise David with when they return to their room in Chapter 7, what is the result of that surprise and what does Liu question with David?
7. What does Ma tell Liu about the missing relics in Chapter 6?
8. What is David, Hulan's husband, doing while she is at the square? What does he do when he sees her on television?
9. What happens when Hulan tries to stop a woman from hurting her daughter in the square?
10. Who do Liu and David meet at lunch the first day in Bashan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Dragon Bones is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss A Dragon Bones based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Dragon Bones is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dragon Bones a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Most mystery novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in Dragon Bones. Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example--in spook houses at Halloween or by reading mystery/suspense novels that contain an element of fear?
3. Are there any things any of the characters are afraid of within their control to change? What? Why do you think the characters have not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)