|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say will be a great achievement?
2. What did Hulan once fail to do?
3. Who is Liu Hulan?
4. What is the relation of the local police captain to the bridge contractor?
5. What was the purpose of the Nine Tripods of Yu the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michael say when Hulan interviews him?
2. What does Hulan find out when she interviews Catherine about Lily's death?
3. Who do Liu and David meet at lunch the first day in Bashan?
4. What has happened to Lily when David and Liu find her in her bedroom?
5. What does Hulan do when the local security forces arrive at Lily's bedroom?
6. Who meets the couple at Bashan, and what does he tell them as he takes them to their lodgings?
7. What unofficial position does Hulan have in China and why?
8. Who does Ma first introduce David and Liu to and what does this man tell them?
9. What is Liu Hulan doing at the opening of Chapter 1?
10. What does Xiao Da say at the Society meeting and what happens to David and Hulan at the meeting? What does Hulan think is the reason she was sent to Site 518?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most mystery novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in Dragon Bones. Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example--in spook houses at Halloween or by reading mystery/suspense novels that contain an element of fear?
3. Are there any things any of the characters are afraid of within their control to change? What? Why do you think the characters have not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think Dragon Bones is successful as a detective novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Lisa See's books? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss A Dragon Bones based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Dragon Bones is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Dragon Bones a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)