|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Liu Hulan?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A factory worker.
(c) An Inspector with the Ministry of Public Security.
(d) A miner.
2. To what is Hulan being assigned?
(a) To Hunan province.
(b) To investigate the death of a foreigner.
(c) To investigate the All Patriotic Society.
(d) To Hong Kong criminal investigations.
3. Why will the land be inundated in the future?
(a) The Chinese are building a land at the Three Gorges.
(b) They are going to flood the land with just a few inches of water to make rice paddies.
(c) It is not going to be inundated, but rather become a desert.
(d) There will be a volcanic eruption some time soon.
4. Who is Brian's supervisor?
(a) Dr. Li.
(b) Dr. Wu.
(c) Dr. Yang.
(d) Dr. Ma.
5. To what does the conversation shift when Hulan indicates she is investigating a murder?
(a) Who wants the excavations to fail.
(b) Who hates whom.
(d) Site safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ma Hulan and others when they are discussing the death of Brian McCarthy?
2. What is the All Patriotic Society?
3. What does David decide to do?
4. What is Qutang Gorge?
5. For whom does Hulan send?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wu's father think happened to his son?
2. Where do David, Hulan, and Ma go in Chapter 6? What do they see there?
3. What does Hulan do when the local security forces arrive at Lily's bedroom?
4. What happens when Hulan tries to stop a woman from hurting her daughter in the square?
5. Who meets the couple at Bashan, and what does he tell them as he takes them to their lodgings?
6. What are David and Hulan told at their meeting with Zai?
7. Who is Hulan required to visit in Chapter 2, and what does he tell her to do?
8. What was Hulan expected to do as her part of the bargain in question #3?
9. What does Catherine explain to David and Liu about Yu and what symbols does the group at lunch discuss?
10. What does Hulan find out when she interviews Catherine about Lily's death?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)