|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say will be a great achievement?
(a) The Three Gorges Dam.
(b) The body reaching its burial spot intact.
(c) Stopping the oncoming lava flow.
(d) The narrator does not mention a great achievement.
2. What does David decide to do?
(a) Fly to Hong Kong to stop the auction.
(b) Fly to the States to tell Lily's parents of her death.
(c) Return to Beijing and his practice.
(d) Disassociate himself with Hulan.
3. How does Hulan surprise David in their guest house?
(a) She says she wants a divorce.
(b) She gives him a present.
(c) She tells him she is pregnant.
(d) She kisses him.
4. Who are the vultures?
(a) Five Chinese representatives from various museums.
(b) The heads of the various factions in the All Political Society.
(c) The raptors in this area.
(d) The Chinese Communist party representatives in this area.
5. Where does Hulan work?
(a) A small farm near Wuhan.
(b) A mine in Mongolia.
(c) A factory in Beijing.
(d) Tienanmen Square.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Brian McCarthy?
2. Who disappears from the middle of the courtyard and remarried during the Revolution?
3. What is the Chu Ching?
4. For whom does Hulan send?
5. Who is Dr. Michael Quon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hulan surprise David with when they return to their room in Chapter 7, what is the result of that surprise and what does Liu question with David?
2. Who does Hulan interview about Lily?
3. What is David, Hulan's husband, doing while she is at the square? What does he do when he sees her on television?
4. What do David and Liu do after packing in Chapter 4?
5. What was Hulan given permission to do in her deal with high powered Chinese officials five years prior to the opening of the novel?
6. What does Wu's father think happened to his son?
7. Where do David, Hulan, and Ma go in Chapter 6? What do they see there?
8. What happens when Hulan tries to stop a woman from hurting her daughter in the square?
9. What unofficial position does Hulan have in China and why?
10. Who does Ma first introduce David and Liu to and what does this man tell them?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)