|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Qutang Gorge?
(a) The second of the Three Gorges.
(b) A gorge about 50 miles east of the Three Gorges.
(c) The last of the Three Gorges.
(d) The first of the Three Gorges.
2. Where does David go while Hulan is interviewing the foreigners?
(a) To the guest house.
(b) To write up a report for the American embassy.
(c) To the site.
(d) To notify Lily's next of kin.
3. What does Hulan stress to the Chinese workers as she informs them of Lily's murder?
(a) The fact that the United States has capital punishment.
(b) Any Chinese worker found to be involved will be executed.
(c) Chinese relies upon foreigners and these murders will hurt all Chinese.
(d) Their duty to help foreigners as a sign of superiority.
4. Who is Yu the Great?
(a) The ruler of China at the time of the book.
(b) A magistrate who has the Chairman's ear.
(c) The ruler of Szechun at the time of the book.
(d) A figure of legend.
5. How was Lily mutilated?
(a) Her head is cut off.
(b) Her eyes are missing.
(c) Her feet are cut off.
(d) Her hands are cut off.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what did Chaowen die?
2. Who disappears from the middle of the courtyard and remarried during the Revolution?
3. Where is David on his way to?
4. What do Hulan and David do at Chongqing?
5. Upon what river is a dead man floating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are David and Hulan told at their meeting with Zai?
2. What does Ma say about the people who have died at Site 518 thus far?
3. Who does Hulan interview about Lily?
4. What does Catherine explain to David and Liu about Yu and what symbols does the group at lunch discuss?
5. What does Brian's sister tell them about him, what does Lily say when she joins them in conversation?
6. What does Ma tell Liu about the missing relics in Chapter 6?
7. What was Hulan given permission to do in her deal with high powered Chinese officials five years prior to the opening of the novel?
8. What unofficial position does Hulan have in China and why?
9. Who meets the couple at Bashan, and what does he tell them as he takes them to their lodgings?
10. Who does Ma first introduce David and Liu to and what does this man tell them?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)