|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael Quon admit to Hulan?
(a) He likes Lily but not her profession.
(b) He hates Lily.
(c) He was dating Lily in the States the year before.
(d) He had a fight with Lily's boss earlier that year.
2. What is Hulan's husband doing as she is in Tienanmen Square?
(a) Writing Hulan a letter.
(b) Thinking of his daughter and his marriage.
(c) Preparing to kill himself.
(d) Preparing to return to the States.
3. What does Tang Wenting say she is there to do?
(a) Kill Chairman Mao.
(b) Kill Hulan.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Punish her child.
4. Who is Lily Sinclair?
(a) David's girlfriend before he married Hulan.
(b) A worker for the Cosgrove's auction house.
(c) The head archeologist.
(d) A Chinese philologist.
5. What is the reason for the assignement of David and Hulan to the same case?
(a) To keep relations between the United States and China on good terms.
(b) To have an Eastern and Western perspective.
(c) To rekindle their marriage.
(d) They are just the best people for the job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Wu drown?
2. Whom was Hulan allowed to marry?
3. About what organization does Hulan repeatedly ask?
4. How does Hulan surprise David in their guest house?
5. Who is Xiao Da?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Lily when David and Liu find her in her bedroom?
2. What does Wu's father think happened to his son?
3. What unofficial position does Hulan have in China and why?
4. Who meets the couple at Bashan, and what does he tell them as he takes them to their lodgings?
5. What was Hulan expected to do as her part of the bargain in question #3?
6. What happens on the river in the prologue?
7. Who do Liu and David meet at lunch the first day in Bashan?
8. What is Liu Hulan doing at the opening of Chapter 1?
9. What does Xiao Da say at the Society meeting and what happens to David and Hulan at the meeting? What does Hulan think is the reason she was sent to Site 518?
10. How does Hulan think Lily's death is related to Hulan?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)