|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems obvious when Hulan finds Lily's body?
(a) Lily was packing her bags.
(b) Someone was going through Lily's belongings.
(c) Lily was killed elsewhere.
(d) Lily knew her killer.
2. Who is not at the jeep when Hulan and David arrive there?
(b) The driver.
3. Who is Dr. Zhongyan?
(a) Hulan's uncle.
(b) David's law partner.
(c) The leader of the local group of the All Patriotic Society.
(d) The leader of Site 518 excavation.
4. Who is Dr. Michael Quon?
(a) Amulti-talented expert in many fields.
(b) The leader of the group selling illegal artifacts.
(c) A man who is duped into buying illegal artifacts.
(d) David's brother-in-law.
5. What does Hulan do after Chaowen's death?
(a) Tries to kill herself.
(b) Tries to get pregnant again.
(c) Joins the Chinese Communist Party.
(d) Leaves her husband.
6. Why will the land be inundated in the future?
(a) The Chinese are building a land at the Three Gorges.
(b) There will be a volcanic eruption some time soon.
(c) They are going to flood the land with just a few inches of water to make rice paddies.
(d) It is not going to be inundated, but rather become a desert.
7. About what does Hulan lament?
(a) The death of the 50 miners.
(b) The death of the 50 female factory workers.
(c) The changes in the party structure.
(d) The failing of her marriage and death of her daughter.
8. Who are the vultures?
(a) The raptors in this area.
(b) Five Chinese representatives from various museums.
(c) The Chinese Communist party representatives in this area.
(d) The heads of the various factions in the All Political Society.
9. With what is Hulan's mother plagued?
(c) Multiple sclerosis.
10. To what does the conversation shift when Hulan indicates she is investigating a murder?
(b) Who hates whom.
(c) Site safety.
(d) Who wants the excavations to fail.
11. What is the reason for the assignement of David and Hulan to the same case?
(a) To rekindle their marriage.
(b) They are just the best people for the job.
(c) To have an Eastern and Western perspective.
(d) To keep relations between the United States and China on good terms.
12. What is the relation of the local police captain to the bridge contractor?
(a) Close friend.
13. Who is Xiao Da?
(a) The leader of the All Patriotic Society.
(b) The party leader in northern Hunan province.
(c) Liu Hulan's best friend.
(d) The Captain of the Red Square Guard.
14. With what civilization is Dr. Zhongyan concerned?
15. With what has Lily been swabbed?
(b) Yellow paint.
(c) Black paint.
(d) Her own blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what organization does Hulan repeatedly ask?
2. What is one important missing artifact that Ma discusses?
3. Who disappears from the middle of the courtyard and remarried during the Revolution?
4. For whom does Hulan send?
5. Who is Brian McCarthy?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)