|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ma Hulan and others when they are discussing the death of Brian McCarthy?
(a) To Brian's office.
(b) To interview a witness.
(c) To Brian's hut.
(d) To the beach where his belongings are found.
2. Who is Tang Wenting?
(a) Hulan's sister.
(b) A lieutenant in the All Patriotic Society.
(c) A Red Square guard.
(d) The new Tienanmen Square worker supervisor.
3. Who is Dr. Michael Quon?
(a) A man who is duped into buying illegal artifacts.
(b) Amulti-talented expert in many fields.
(c) David's brother-in-law.
(d) The leader of the group selling illegal artifacts.
4. What does Hulan stress to the Chinese workers as she informs them of Lily's murder?
(a) Their duty to help foreigners as a sign of superiority.
(b) The fact that the United States has capital punishment.
(c) Any Chinese worker found to be involved will be executed.
(d) Chinese relies upon foreigners and these murders will hurt all Chinese.
5. What is Dr. Paul Strong's area of expertise?
(c) Ancient pottery.
6. What will Stuart do if he comes across stolen items with forged papers?
(a) Turn them over to the Chinese authorities.
(b) Buy them and donate them to a Chinese museum.
(c) Refuse to have anything to do with them.
(d) Buy them.
7. Who is Lily Sinclair?
(a) A worker for the Cosgrove's auction house.
(b) David's girlfriend before he married Hulan.
(c) A Chinese philologist.
(d) The head archeologist.
8. What does Lily not want to reveal in front of the others?
(a) Her husband caught her in bed with McCarthy.
(b) Her relation to Brian McCarthy.
(c) She is sleeping with several men on the site.
(d) She is quitting the project.
9. What does the local farmer note about the body?
(a) It is a very young Chinese man.
(b) It is a white man.
(c) It is wrapped in a shroud.
(d) It is a Japanese.
10. Who are the vultures?
(a) The Chinese Communist party representatives in this area.
(b) The heads of the various factions in the All Political Society.
(c) Five Chinese representatives from various museums.
(d) The raptors in this area.
11. How does Hulan surprise David in their guest house?
(a) She gives him a present.
(b) She tells him she is pregnant.
(c) She kisses him.
(d) She says she wants a divorce.
12. What is the relation of the local police captain to the bridge contractor?
(d) Close friend.
13. What does the narrator say will be a great achievement?
(a) Stopping the oncoming lava flow.
(b) The Three Gorges Dam.
(c) The narrator does not mention a great achievement.
(d) The body reaching its burial spot intact.
14. What does the young boy who kicks the body think?
(a) It is his friend with whom the boy is swimming.
(b) It is a shark.
(c) It is a crocodile.
(d) It is just some debris.
15. According to Michael Quon, why is he at the site?
(a) As a representative of the Society for Chinese Nationalism.
(b) As a representative for the Society fot eh Advancement of Artifact Preservation.
(c) To supervise the finding of Chinese artifacts.
(d) To see it before it is innundated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hulan think she should support because of being educated in the United States?
2. What does David decide to do?
3. What is the All Patriotic Society?
4. Upon what river is a dead man floating?
5. What does Michael Quon admit to Hulan?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)