|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Yu the Great?
(a) A magistrate who has the Chairman's ear.
(b) A figure of legend.
(c) The ruler of China at the time of the book.
(d) The ruler of Szechun at the time of the book.
2. Who is Liu Hulan?
(a) A factory worker.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A miner.
(d) An Inspector with the Ministry of Public Security.
3. What does Stuart like to own?
(a) Chinese relics.
4. What does Hulan stress to the Chinese workers as she informs them of Lily's murder?
(a) Their duty to help foreigners as a sign of superiority.
(b) Chinese relies upon foreigners and these murders will hurt all Chinese.
(c) The fact that the United States has capital punishment.
(d) Any Chinese worker found to be involved will be executed.
5. What is the relation of the local police captain to the bridge contractor?
(b) Close friend.
6. Upon what river is a dead man floating?
7. How does Ma react to news of Lily's death?
8. What does the narrator say will be a great achievement?
(a) Stopping the oncoming lava flow.
(b) The Three Gorges Dam.
(c) The body reaching its burial spot intact.
(d) The narrator does not mention a great achievement.
9. What does Catherine say regarding Stuart?
(a) What Stuart would be purchasing at the Cosgrove's auction.
(b) He was packing his bags earlier that day.
(c) She saw him leaving Lily's room early that morning.
(d) She saw him with Lily late last night.
10. What does David decide to do?
(a) Fly to the States to tell Lily's parents of her death.
(b) Return to Beijing and his practice.
(c) Disassociate himself with Hulan.
(d) Fly to Hong Kong to stop the auction.
11. Who thinks the foreigners are to blame for the artifact thefts?
(a) All the vultures.
(b) No one.
12. Who is Vie Minister Zai?
(a) Hulan's uncle.
(b) A father figure to Hulan.
(c) Hulan's brother.
(d) Hulan's grandfather.
13. What is Hulan's husband doing as she is in Tienanmen Square?
(a) Writing Hulan a letter.
(b) Preparing to kill himself.
(c) Preparing to return to the States.
(d) Thinking of his daughter and his marriage.
14. What is the reason for the assignement of David and Hulan to the same case?
(a) To rekindle their marriage.
(b) They are just the best people for the job.
(c) To keep relations between the United States and China on good terms.
(d) To have an Eastern and Western perspective.
15. How does Hulan accidentally kill Tang Wenting?
(a) Hulan intended to kill Wenting.
(b) She struggles with Wenting for the knife and it cuts Wenting's femoral artery.
(c) She is shooting at some thieves and hits Wenting.
(d) Hulan shoots Wenting in the shoulder, but a bone fragment cuts the carotid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tang Wenting?
2. What did Hulan once fail to do?
3. From what did Chaowen die?
4. What is one important missing artifact that Ma discusses?
5. Who is Catherine?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)