|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what did Chaowen die?
(a) Car accident.
(d) Typhoid fever.
2. What is Hulan noted as being?
(a) A failed party member.
(b) A Yellow Princess.
(c) A Red Queen.
(d) A Red Princess.
3. What happens to the body as it floats down the river?
(a) It becomes more and more disfigured.
(b) It rotates on a regular basis.
(c) It starts glowing.
(d) It turns yellow.
4. What is Qutang Gorge?
(a) The last of the Three Gorges.
(b) A gorge about 50 miles east of the Three Gorges.
(c) The second of the Three Gorges.
(d) The first of the Three Gorges.
5. Who is Vie Minister Zai?
(a) Hulan's brother.
(b) Hulan's grandfather.
(c) A father figure to Hulan.
(d) Hulan's uncle.
6. Which modern ruler(s) of China possessed symbols of power?
(a) Just Xiao Da.
(b) Mao and Xiao Da.
(c) Just Mao.
7. What will Stuart do if he comes across stolen items with forged papers?
(a) Turn them over to the Chinese authorities.
(b) Buy them and donate them to a Chinese museum.
(c) Buy them.
(d) Refuse to have anything to do with them.
8. Who is Lily Sinclair?
(a) A worker for the Cosgrove's auction house.
(b) The head archeologist.
(c) A Chinese philologist.
(d) David's girlfriend before he married Hulan.
9. Who are the vultures?
(a) The raptors in this area.
(b) The Chinese Communist party representatives in this area.
(c) The heads of the various factions in the All Political Society.
(d) Five Chinese representatives from various museums.
10. What is one important missing artifact that Ma discusses?
(a) A ruyi.
(b) A vase.
(c) A sword.
(d) A pottery bowl.
11. Whom does Hulan interview first?
(a) Li Guo.
12. About what does Hulan lament?
(a) The changes in the party structure.
(b) The death of the 50 female factory workers.
(c) The failing of her marriage and death of her daughter.
(d) The death of the 50 miners.
13. What does Michael Quon admit to Hulan?
(a) He hates Lily.
(b) He was dating Lily in the States the year before.
(c) He likes Lily but not her profession.
(d) He had a fight with Lily's boss earlier that year.
14. Who is Xiao Da?
(a) The party leader in northern Hunan province.
(b) The leader of the All Patriotic Society.
(c) Liu Hulan's best friend.
(d) The Captain of the Red Square Guard.
15. What family once lived in the guest house?
(a) The Yu family.
(b) The Wu family.
(c) The Wang family.
(d) The Wong family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disappears from the middle of the courtyard and remarried during the Revolution?
2. What does the young boy who kicks the body think?
3. What does the narrator say will be a great achievement?
4. What is the reason for the assignement of David and Hulan to the same case?
5. What does Hulan stress to the Chinese workers as she informs them of Lily's murder?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)