|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hulan go to see regarding her new assignment?
(c) Wi Fang.
(d) We Lu.
2. What is the Chu Ching?
(a) China's historical text.
(b) A map dating from the Han dynasty.
(c) A map of some underground excavations.
(d) An artifact dating from the Ming dynasty.
3. What is the reason for the assignement of David and Hulan to the same case?
(a) They are just the best people for the job.
(b) To rekindle their marriage.
(c) To keep relations between the United States and China on good terms.
(d) To have an Eastern and Western perspective.
4. Who thinks the foreigners are to blame for the artifact thefts?
(c) No one.
(d) All the vultures.
5. Who are the vultures?
(a) The heads of the various factions in the All Political Society.
(b) Five Chinese representatives from various museums.
(c) The raptors in this area.
(d) The Chinese Communist party representatives in this area.
6. Why will the land be inundated in the future?
(a) They are going to flood the land with just a few inches of water to make rice paddies.
(b) It is not going to be inundated, but rather become a desert.
(c) The Chinese are building a land at the Three Gorges.
(d) There will be a volcanic eruption some time soon.
7. To what does the conversation shift when Hulan indicates she is investigating a murder?
(a) Site safety.
(c) Who wants the excavations to fail.
(d) Who hates whom.
8. What is one important missing artifact that Ma discusses?
(a) A vase.
(b) A sword.
(c) A ruyi.
(d) A pottery bowl.
9. Who is Brian McCarthy?
(a) A missing American entomologist.
(b) A missing British anthropologist.
(c) A missing British photographer.
(d) A missing American archaeologist.
10. What does Hulan think about that night before going to sleep?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Moving to the United States.
(c) The All Patriotic Society.
(d) Her husband returning to the United States.
11. Who is Dr. Zhongyan?
(a) The leader of the local group of the All Patriotic Society.
(b) Hulan's uncle.
(c) The leader of Site 518 excavation.
(d) David's law partner.
12. Where does Hulan work?
(a) A factory in Beijing.
(b) Tienanmen Square.
(c) A mine in Mongolia.
(d) A small farm near Wuhan.
13. From whom does Hulan take control of the murder scene?
(a) Lieutenant Wong.
(b) Sargent Ju.
(c) Captain Hom.
(d) Captain Wu.
14. What does Hulan do after Chaowen's death?
(a) Leaves her husband.
(b) Joins the Chinese Communist Party.
(c) Tries to kill herself.
(d) Tries to get pregnant again.
15. Who is Yu the Great?
(a) The ruler of China at the time of the book.
(b) A figure of legend.
(c) A magistrate who has the Chairman's ear.
(d) The ruler of Szechun at the time of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is Hulan being assigned?
2. What is the All Patriotic Society?
3. For whom does Hulan send?
4. What does Catherine do when Hulan interviews her?
5. What is one trait Brian McCarthy's sister says about him?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)