|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine say regarding Stuart?
(a) He was packing his bags earlier that day.
(b) She saw him leaving Lily's room early that morning.
(c) She saw him with Lily late last night.
(d) What Stuart would be purchasing at the Cosgrove's auction.
2. Who disappears from the middle of the courtyard and remarried during the Revolution?
(a) Master Wong.
(b) Master Wu.
(c) Master Yu.
(d) Master Wang.
3. To what does the conversation shift when Hulan indicates she is investigating a murder?
(a) Who wants the excavations to fail.
(b) Who hates whom.
(c) Site safety.
4. What is the reason for the assignement of David and Hulan to the same case?
(a) To keep relations between the United States and China on good terms.
(b) They are just the best people for the job.
(c) To have an Eastern and Western perspective.
(d) To rekindle their marriage.
5. Who thinks the foreigners are to blame for the artifact thefts?
(c) No one.
(d) All the vultures.
6. What is the All Patriotic Society?
(a) An illegal religious organization.
(b) A foreign religious faction that espouses Christianity.
(c) The group of workers who keep Tienanmen Square maintained.
(d) An organization Mao Tse Tung created.
7. What does Hulan think she should support because of being educated in the United States?
(a) Woman's rights.
(c) Religious freedom.
(d) Higher education for every Chinese person.
8. Where does Wu drown?
(a) A local whirlpool.
(b) The Yangtze River.
(c) The company swimming pool.
(d) The Three Gorges Dam.
9. What is Dr. Paul Strong's area of expertise?
(b) Ancient pottery.
10. What does Lily not want to reveal in front of the others?
(a) She is sleeping with several men on the site.
(b) She is quitting the project.
(c) Her husband caught her in bed with McCarthy.
(d) Her relation to Brian McCarthy.
11. Who is Vie Minister Zai?
(a) A father figure to Hulan.
(b) Hulan's grandfather.
(c) Hulan's uncle.
(d) Hulan's brother.
12. With whom does Hulan make a deal five years earlier?
(a) A group of high-powered political figures in the United States.
(b) A group of high-powered political figures in Japan.
(c) A group of high-powered political figures who rule China.
(d) A group of high-powered political figures in Korea.
13. What was the purpose of the Nine Tripods of Yu the Great?
(a) To triangulate a fix among the moon, sun and earth.
(b) To hold up various relics he created.
(c) To find the exact center of the earth.
(d) To create a visual map of Yu's empire.
14. With what civilization is Dr. Zhongyan concerned?
15. What does Hulan do after Chaowen's death?
(a) Leaves her husband.
(b) Joins the Chinese Communist Party.
(c) Tries to kill herself.
(d) Tries to get pregnant again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hulan's husband doing as she is in Tienanmen Square?
2. Who is noted to have control over floods in the Chinese past?
3. What does David decide to do?
4. What happens to the body as it floats down the river?
5. With what is Hulan's mother plagued?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)