Prologue, Chapter 1 - Chapter 3
• In the prologue a body is floating down the Yangtze River for miles and the farther it floats the more disfigured it becomes.
• A young boy kicks it thinking it is his friend then backs away in disgust. He tells no one.
• The body floats through the Three Gorges, and the narrator tells the history of the river and the changes the dam will bring.
• A local farmer cleans the shoreline and finds the body, noting it is a white man, a foreigner.
• Liu Hulan an Inspector with Public Security is thinking about the gathering of the All Patriotic society, an illegal religious organization.
• Five years prior Hulan had failed to save the lives of 150 women working at an American toy factory.
• She made a deal with the authorities that she could marry an American lawyer, David Stark, and have children.
• For her part...
This section contains 2,900 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)