|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Van Helsing use to make putty while visiting Lucy's tomb?
2. What happens to Renfield as a result of his injuries?
3. What do Holmwood and Morris think about Renfield after they meet him?
4. What does Lucy do with what she has with her when she meets Van Helsing, Seward, Holmwood, and Morris near her tomb?
5. With what object does Harker try to attack Dracula with when he appears after they have tried to destroy all of the wooden boxes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tools does Mina use to deduce where Dracula goes once he is back on land?
2. Why doesn't the vampire-hunting team want to break into Dracula's Piccadilly house?
3. How does Seward react to the idea that Lucy is a vampire after her death?
4. How does Seward try to draw Renfield out in conversation?
5. What does Mina conclude about how Dracula will be trying to get home?
6. How is the vampire Lucy killed?
7. Why does Van Helsing put a holy wafer on Mina's forehead after she has been bitten by Dracula?
8. What is Van Helsing's assessment of Harker's journals?
9. Why do Mina and Holmwood agree to share their diaries with Seward?
10. What is the first vow the vampire-hunting team makes to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dracula is supposedly based on a real historical figure named Vlad the Impaler. Find three similarities between this historical figure and the literary character and explain how and when they appear in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper that critically examines what happens to Lucy in the novel. Is her murder justified? Could her death even be considered a murder? Was it the only option? Was it an act of love or an act of despair -- or both? Would you have done the same thing to her? Would you have wanted your life to end the way hers did?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three instances of foreshadowing that happen within the first three chapters of the novel and describe which future event that each predicts/foreshadows.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)