|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harker begin researching during his stay with Harker?
2. What happened to the agent who took over Dracula's box?
3. After Dracula's ship departs, why does the team decide to keep Mina out of the loop about their plans?
4. Why does Van Helsing want Mina to visit after Lucy's death?
5. What creature begins to fill the chapel when the vampire-hunting team enters, looking for the wooden boxes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the reader assume has happened to Mina after she is found looking very pale after a thick mist entered her room?
2. What does Mina tell the vampire-hunting team she sees the first time she undergoes hypnosis?
3. Why is Mina left behind during the first mission of the vampire-hunting team?
4. Why do Mina and Holmwood agree to share their diaries with Seward?
5. What does Renfield say about how he specifically got his injuries from Dracula?
6. What does Van Helsing say needs to be done to Lucy in order for her to be set freed from being a vampire?
7. Why does Van Helsing put a holy wafer on Mina's forehead after she has been bitten by Dracula?
8. After Mina learns of her psychic connection to Dracula, why does she excuse herself from learning more about the vampire-hunting team's plans?
9. Why doesn't the vampire-hunting team want to break into Dracula's Piccadilly house?
10. How does Seward try to draw Renfield out in conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper that critically examines what happens to Lucy in the novel. Is her murder justified? Could her death even be considered a murder? Was it the only option? Was it an act of love or an act of despair -- or both? Would you have done the same thing to her? Would you have wanted your life to end the way hers did?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scene in Chapter 3 where Harker is nearly seduced by the three female vampires. What does this scene tell the reader about traditional gender roles or sexuality during the time that "Dracula" was written?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two seemingly minor characters in the novel (such as Renfield and Mr. Swales) and discuss how Stoker uses them in at least three ways to contribute to the novel.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)