|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the name of the house Dracula purchased for his London residency?
2. Why does Van Helsing want Mina to visit after Lucy's death?
3. How does the team travel en route to meet the ship Dracula is on once he has left London?
4. What urgent message does an attendant bring to Seward after he speaks to Renfield about Renfield's changing moods?
5. How does the vampire-hunting team manage to clear the chapel of the animals that have suddenly appeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Van Helsing's assessment of Harker's journals?
2. What does Mina tell the vampire-hunting team she sees the first time she undergoes hypnosis?
3. Who ultimately kills vampire Lucy?
4. After Mina learns of her psychic connection to Dracula, why does she excuse herself from learning more about the vampire-hunting team's plans?
5. How is the vampire Lucy killed?
6. What can the reader assume has happened to Mina after she is found looking very pale after a thick mist entered her room?
7. What does the mark on Mina's head from the holy wafer symbolize?
8. Why is Mina left behind during the first mission of the vampire-hunting team?
9. What prayer does Mina ask her husband to read aloud?
10. Why does Mina ask Seward for permission to visit Renfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mina is described as having a "man's brain" and a "woman's heart." Discuss the meaning of this description and how these qualities manifest themselves in at least three of her character's choices or actions throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
Complete a critical examination of the institution of marriage in the novel, making sure to address at least two ways that the marriages within the novel support the stereotypes and social expectations of the time and two ways that the marriages within the novel go against the stereotypes of the times.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper that critically examines what happens to Lucy in the novel. Is her murder justified? Could her death even be considered a murder? Was it the only option? Was it an act of love or an act of despair -- or both? Would you have done the same thing to her? Would you have wanted your life to end the way hers did?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)