|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Renfield amazes Holmwood and Morris the first time they meet him?
2. What is the first thing the vampire-hunting team notices when they enter the chapel while searching for the wooden boxes?
3. What happened to the agent who took over Dracula's box?
4. How does Holmwood plan to gain entry to Dracula's Piccadilly house?
5. What does Mina reveal under hypnosis about the whereabouts of Dracula's ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mark on Mina's head from the holy wafer symbolize?
2. After Mina learns of her psychic connection to Dracula, why does she excuse herself from learning more about the vampire-hunting team's plans?
3. What is the first vow the vampire-hunting team makes to each other?
4. Why do Mina and Holmwood agree to share their diaries with Seward?
5. What does Renfield say about how he specifically got his injuries from Dracula?
6. How does Seward try to draw Renfield out in conversation?
7. Why does Seward agree to share his diary with Mina?
8. Why does Van Helsing put a holy wafer on Mina's forehead after she has been bitten by Dracula?
9. What tools does Mina use to deduce where Dracula goes once he is back on land?
10. Why is Mina left behind during the first mission of the vampire-hunting team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The use of religious symbols -- such as crucifixes and holy wafers -- are present throughout the novel. Discuss the role of religion (and of Christianity in particular) in "Dracula".
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, a fair-haired female vampire accuses Dracula of being incapable of loving. Present an argument that supports or refutes this statement, making sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Dracula is supposedly based on a real historical figure named Vlad the Impaler. Find three similarities between this historical figure and the literary character and explain how and when they appear in the novel.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)