|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mina reveal under hypnosis about the whereabouts of Dracula's ship?
2. Which character does Mina bite before the team is preparing to depart to meet Dracula's coffin when it departs the ship?
3. What about Mina causes Van Helsing to be concerned while they are waiting for Dracula's ship to arrive?
4. By how many days does the team plan to precede the arrival of Dracula's ship?
5. What does Harker begin researching during his stay with Harker?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Mina learns of her psychic connection to Dracula, why does she excuse herself from learning more about the vampire-hunting team's plans?
2. What tools does Mina use to deduce where Dracula goes once he is back on land?
3. What does Van Helsing say needs to be done to Lucy in order for her to be set freed from being a vampire?
4. How does Seward react to the idea that Lucy is a vampire after her death?
5. Why do Mina and Holmwood agree to share their diaries with Seward?
6. How does Seward try to draw Renfield out in conversation?
7. Why doesn't the vampire-hunting team want to break into Dracula's Piccadilly house?
8. Why does Van Helsing put a holy wafer on Mina's forehead after she has been bitten by Dracula?
9. What does the mark on Mina's head from the holy wafer symbolize?
10. Why is Dracula's destruction of the property in Seward's office not a total loss to the vampire-hunting team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Dracula" is considered a literary classic for many reasons. Choose three elements of the text that you feel made it the classic that it is and explain why these components have ensured the longevity and popularity of the story.
Essay Topic 2
The tone of "Dracula" can often be described as dark, tense, and foreboding. Discuss what a tone like this does to the reader and three literary devices Stoker uses throughout the text to create such a consistent tone.
Essay Topic 3
Dracula is supposedly based on a real historical figure named Vlad the Impaler. Find three similarities between this historical figure and the literary character and explain how and when they appear in the novel.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)