|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the team learns that Dracula is back on land, how do Mina and Van Helsing plan to catch him?
2. What does Mina reveal under hypnosis about the whereabouts of Dracula's ship?
3. In what form is Seward's diary recorded?
4. Why does Seward deny Renfield's request after Holmwood and Morris have visited him?
5. What kind of injuries does Renfield have when Seward, Van Helsing, Holmwood, and Morris find him in the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Van Helsing's assessment of Harker's journals?
2. What does Mina tell the vampire-hunting team she sees the first time she undergoes hypnosis?
3. What does the mark on Mina's head from the holy wafer symbolize?
4. How does Van Helsing explain what a vampire is to Seward?
5. What is the first vow the vampire-hunting team makes to each other?
6. What arguments does Mina give for why she should come with the team when they leave to intercept Dracula's coffin once it has left London?
7. What prayer does Mina ask her husband to read aloud?
8. What does Renfield say about how he specifically got his injuries from Dracula?
9. What does Van Helsing say needs to be done to Lucy in order for her to be set freed from being a vampire?
10. Why do Mina and Holmwood agree to share their diaries with Seward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Stoker presents very strict, complicated ways of killing vampires -- and yet Dracula's own death doesn't seem to abide by these rules. Write an essay that addresses this complicated ending and what experience it leaves the reader with at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
"Dracula" is considered a literary classic for many reasons. Choose three elements of the text that you feel made it the classic that it is and explain why these components have ensured the longevity and popularity of the story.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, a fair-haired female vampire accuses Dracula of being incapable of loving. Present an argument that supports or refutes this statement, making sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)