|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the team travel en route to meet the ship Dracula is on once he has left London?
2. Where does the group head after they realize they will not meet Dracula's ship where they first planned to?
3. After Mina is attacked, what is the vampire-hunting team's new plan?
4. What does Renfield manage to tell the vampire-hunting team, despite his injuries?
5. Where does the team hope to intercept Dracula?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first vow the vampire-hunting team makes to each other?
2. What favors does Mina ask of the team before they depart to meet Dracula's ship after she has been bitten?
3. How does Van Helsing explain what a vampire is to Seward?
4. Why doesn't the vampire-hunting team want to break into Dracula's Piccadilly house?
5. Why does Seward agree to share his diary with Mina?
6. Why does Van Helsing put a holy wafer on Mina's forehead after she has been bitten by Dracula?
7. What is Van Helsing's assessment of Harker's journals?
8. Why is Dracula's destruction of the property in Seward's office not a total loss to the vampire-hunting team?
9. What does Van Helsing say needs to be done to Lucy in order for her to be set freed from being a vampire?
10. How does Seward try to draw Renfield out in conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Stoker presents very strict, complicated ways of killing vampires -- and yet Dracula's own death doesn't seem to abide by these rules. Write an essay that addresses this complicated ending and what experience it leaves the reader with at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper that critically examines what happens to Lucy in the novel. Is her murder justified? Could her death even be considered a murder? Was it the only option? Was it an act of love or an act of despair -- or both? Would you have done the same thing to her? Would you have wanted your life to end the way hers did?
Essay Topic 3
"Dracula" is considered a literary classic for many reasons. Choose three elements of the text that you feel made it the classic that it is and explain why these components have ensured the longevity and popularity of the story.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)