|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What urgent message does an attendant bring to Seward after he speaks to Renfield about Renfield's changing moods?
2. What strange phenomenon came into Mina's room while the vampire-hunters were out on their first mission?
3. What does Van Helsing use to make putty while visiting Lucy's tomb?
4. What happens to Renfield as a result of his injuries?
5. What does Mina do with Seward's diary entries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Mina give for why she should come with the team when they leave to intercept Dracula's coffin once it has left London?
2. What favors does Mina ask of the team before they depart to meet Dracula's ship after she has been bitten?
3. How does Seward react to the idea that Lucy is a vampire after her death?
4. What can the reader assume has happened to Mina after she is found looking very pale after a thick mist entered her room?
5. Why do Mina and Holmwood agree to share their diaries with Seward?
6. Why does Van Helsing put a holy wafer on Mina's forehead after she has been bitten by Dracula?
7. What prayer does Mina ask her husband to read aloud?
8. What does Renfield say about how he specifically got his injuries from Dracula?
9. Who ultimately kills vampire Lucy?
10. What does Mina tell the vampire-hunting team she sees the first time she undergoes hypnosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Stoker presents very strict, complicated ways of killing vampires -- and yet Dracula's own death doesn't seem to abide by these rules. Write an essay that addresses this complicated ending and what experience it leaves the reader with at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Pick two seemingly minor characters in the novel (such as Renfield and Mr. Swales) and discuss how Stoker uses them in at least three ways to contribute to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene in Chapter 3 where Harker is nearly seduced by the three female vampires. What does this scene tell the reader about traditional gender roles or sexuality during the time that "Dracula" was written?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)