|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Louie do when he hears his sentence?
2. What kind of blood does Piri say they all have?
3. Where does Piri throw the picture of his father's mistress?
4. What kind of drug does Piri start using?
5. Who pulls Piri off his brother, Jose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the prison guard, Casey, react to Piri and Little fighting?
2. Describe Jose and James' physical appearance.
3. What story does Brew tell Piri?
4. How does Piri get off heroin?
5. Why does Brew think the term "boy" is acceptable?
6. Describe the fight between Piri and his father in Section 7.
7. How does Piri become addicted to heroin?
8. What are Brew and Piri's opinion of Gerald?
9. What do Piri and his family say to each other the next morning?
10. What work does Piri find in Section 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 2
What major events had a profound affect on Piri's life? How did they change him?
Essay Topic 3
What insight does Piri give about the Great Depression in the Thirties? How do Piri's parents cope with the Great Depression? In what way does the Great Depression destroy, or almost destroy, the lives of people close to Piri? What did American society learn from the Great Depression in the Thirties?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)