|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Billy and Danny from?
2. What kind of cafe does Piri enter in Mobile?
3. What do the prisoners call Ricardo?
4. Which of Piri's friends does he have a fight with?
5. In what city does Piri go with two octoroons to have sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brew think the term "boy" is acceptable?
2. What does Piri's father tell him in at breakfast in Section 5?
3. What work does Piri find in Section 7?
4. Describe the system the gang uses to rob bars and stores.
5. What is Piri's sentence for shooting the policeman and for the robbery?
6. Describe the argument between Piri and his brother, Jose.
7. What are Brew and Piri's opinion of Gerald?
8. What are Piri and Brew's plans in Section 5?
9. What story does Brew tell Piri?
10. Describe Piri's routine at Sing Sing prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline Piri's prison routine How do the students think this routine benefited Piri? How did Piri make the most of his days?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the color of his skin such an issue to Piri? How much of the difficulties Piri had with the color was due to himself rather than society?
Essay Topic 3
What did Piri experience in Harlem and how did those experiences shape his character? Would Piri have entered a life of crime if he had grown up in another area of the country?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)