|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of blood does Piri say they all have?
2. What color hair do both James and Jose have?
3. Where does the girl rub up against Piri?
4. What kind of drug does Piri start using?
5. Who does Piri wish could see inside him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Piri's sentence for shooting the policeman and for the robbery?
2. How does Piri become addicted to heroin?
3. How do Brew and Piri ensure a job for themselves on a ship?
4. Describe the fight between Piri and his father in Section 7.
5. Why does Rocky want to fight with Piri?
6. Describe Piri's routine at Sing Sing prison?
7. What are Piri and Brew's plans in Section 5?
8. Describe Jose and James' physical appearance.
9. What story does Brew tell Piri?
10. Why must Piri and Brew sit at the back of the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems have mixed relationships caused in the past? Why were people so against mixed relationships? Is part of the attraction between Piri and Betty the antagonism they know their relationship will cause?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important for Piri to have a good reputation? What do the students think Piri's life in New York would have been like if he did not have a good reputation? Was joining a gang or group is the only way to get a good reputation as a teenager in New York?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)