|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color eyes do both James and Jose have?
2. What does Piri say before he leaves his parole hearing?
3. Who does Piri hear is in hospital?
4. Why does Piri not want to work with Danny and Billy?
5. What does Piri say he avoids in Comstock State Prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Piri feel about Trina marrying another man?
2. Describe the fight between Piri and his father in Section 7.
3. How does Piri get off heroin?
4. Why must Piri and Brew sit at the back of the bus?
5. What problems does Gerald say he has being part Negro?
6. What work does Piri find in Section 7?
7. What does Piri think the girl who rubbed against him on the train said to her friends?
8. Describe the argument between Piri and his brother, Jose.
9. What tragedy occurs when Piri returns to New York?
10. What is Piri's sentence for shooting the policeman and for the robbery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Piri experience in Harlem and how did those experiences shape his character? Would Piri have entered a life of crime if he had grown up in another area of the country?
Essay Topic 2
Why has gang culture become such a big part of life in the poorer areas of America? Why does Piri feel he needs to be part of a gang?
Essay Topic 3
What insight does Piri give about the Great Depression in the Thirties? How do Piri's parents cope with the Great Depression? In what way does the Great Depression destroy, or almost destroy, the lives of people close to Piri? What did American society learn from the Great Depression in the Thirties?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)