|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the A in ABC stand for?
2. What kind of drug does Piri start using?
3. What color hair do both James and Jose have?
4. What do Piri and Brew want to join in Norfolk?
5. Where does Trina go to in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Brew and Piri ensure a job for themselves on a ship?
2. What tragedy occurs when Piri returns to New York?
3. How does Piri feel about Trina marrying another man?
4. Describe Piri's routine at Sing Sing prison?
5. Describe the system the gang uses to rob bars and stores.
6. Why does Brew think the term "boy" is acceptable?
7. Describe Jose and James' physical appearance.
8. What is Piri's sentence for shooting the policeman and for the robbery?
9. What are Piri and Brew's plans in Section 5?
10. What does Piri's father tell him in at breakfast in Section 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline Piri's prison routine How do the students think this routine benefited Piri? How did Piri make the most of his days?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Piri's relationship with his father.
1) In what way did Piri's relationship with his father have a major impact on the decisions he made in his life?
2) How does Piri's relationship with his father deteriorate through the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)