|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alayce say there is nothing worse than being?
2. Why did Little not keep hitting Piri in the mid section?
3. What color eyes do both James and Jose have?
4. What does Piri tell his father he has been pretending to be?
5. In what city does Piri go with two octoroons to have sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Piri and Brew's plans in Section 5?
2. What story does Brew tell Piri?
3. What do Piri and his family say to each other the next morning?
4. What are Brew and Piri's opinion of Gerald?
5. Describe Jose and James' physical appearance.
6. What does Piri's father tell him in at breakfast in Section 5?
7. What does Piri think the girl who rubbed against him on the train said to her friends?
8. Describe Piri's routine at Sing Sing prison?
9. What problems does Gerald say he has being part Negro?
10. How does Piri get off heroin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Piri's relationship with his father.
1) In what way did Piri's relationship with his father have a major impact on the decisions he made in his life?
2) How does Piri's relationship with his father deteriorate through the book?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine how it helped Piri to focus on improving himself as a person while in prison:
1) Prison routine
2) Denial of parole
Essay Topic 3
Why was the color of his skin such an issue to Piri? How much of the difficulties Piri had with the color was due to himself rather than society?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)