|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Piri's real name?
2. Who does Piri say he hates?
3. What part of his body does Piri injure in this section?
4. Who takes Piri to the hospital?
5. What item of Piri's clothing does the teacher grab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between Piri and Rocky in the opening section.
2. Describe Piri's upbringing.
3. How does Piri ensure that he becomes part of the TNT gang?
4. What happens to Piri at the hospital?
5. Why does Piri think Crutch has a good way of looking at racism?
6. Why does Piri decide to return home instead of running away?
7. How does racism bother Piri in the fourth section?
8. What happens when Piri goes for a job interview in Section 4?
9. Describe the way of life in Harlem.
10. What problems does Piri face when he has to move to a new neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine how it helped Piri to focus on improving himself as a person while in prison:
1) Prison routine
2) Denial of parole
Essay Topic 2
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
Essay Topic 3
Why was the color of his skin such an issue to Piri? How much of the difficulties Piri had with the color was due to himself rather than society?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)