|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Betty and Piri have sex?
2. What is Piri's real name?
3. What is the name of the leader of the TNT gang?
4. Who unzips Piri's pants in this chapter?
5. What is the name of TNT's rival gang?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Piri react to what he hears Marcia and her friends saying?
2. Describe the way of life in Harlem.
3. Describe Piri's time with Pane and his sister, Lorry.
4. Why does Piri think his father does not like him as much as his other children?
5. How does Piri ensure that he becomes part of the TNT gang?
6. How does Piri injure his hand?
7. Why does Piri decide to return home instead of running away?
8. What problems does the family face in the opening section?
9. Describe the fight between Piri and Rocky in the opening section.
10. What problems does Piri face when he has to move to a new neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems have mixed relationships caused in the past? Why were people so against mixed relationships? Is part of the attraction between Piri and Betty the antagonism they know their relationship will cause?
Essay Topic 2
Why has gang culture become such a big part of life in the poorer areas of America? Why does Piri feel he needs to be part of a gang?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss with the students first person point of view. Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the book do the students think are not so reliable and why? With the students discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using the first person.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)