|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Piri ask his father to get him?
2. What is the name of the stud that approaches Piri and his friends?
3. What part of Piri's body did Rocky injure?
4. What is Piri reading with his friends in this section?
5. Where had Piri and Angelo planned to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Washington help Piri in this section?
2. Why do Piri and his gang decide to go with Alfredo?
3. Describe the fight between Piri and Rocky in the opening section.
4. Describe Piri's time with Pane and his sister, Lorry.
5. Describe the way of life in Harlem.
6. How do Piri and his mother react differently to Paulie's death?
7. Describe Piri's job as a shoeshine boy.
8. How does Piri ensure that he becomes part of the TNT gang?
9. Why does Piri think Crutch has a good way of looking at racism?
10. What problems does the family face in the opening section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems have mixed relationships caused in the past? Why were people so against mixed relationships? Is part of the attraction between Piri and Betty the antagonism they know their relationship will cause?
Essay Topic 2
Outline Piri's prison routine How do the students think this routine benefited Piri? How did Piri make the most of his days?
Essay Topic 3
What did Piri experience in Harlem and how did those experiences shape his character? Would Piri have entered a life of crime if he had grown up in another area of the country?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)