|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy Piri fights?
2. Who chases after Piri?
3. Which member of Piri's family dies in this chapter?
4. What is the name of the girl Piri falls in love with?
5. Where does Piri think his father will be when he arrives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Piri's parents decide to move to a suburb in Long Island?
2. What problems does Piri face when he has to move to a new neighborhood?
3. What happens at the faggots' apartment?
4. Describe Piri's time with Pane and his sister, Lorry.
5. How does Piri injure his hand?
6. Why does Marcia claim she cannot dance with Piri?
7. What problems does the family face in the opening section?
8. Why does Piri think Crutch has a good way of looking at racism?
9. What problems does Piri face when the family moves again?
10. How do Piri and his mother react differently to Paulie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems have mixed relationships caused in the past? Why were people so against mixed relationships? Is part of the attraction between Piri and Betty the antagonism they know their relationship will cause?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Piri's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Piri's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 3
What insight does Piri give about the Great Depression in the Thirties? How do Piri's parents cope with the Great Depression? In what way does the Great Depression destroy, or almost destroy, the lives of people close to Piri? What did American society learn from the Great Depression in the Thirties?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)