|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What countries slang and swear words does the author discuss?
2. What does the narrator summarize in this chapter?
3. From what does the narrator say the tramps are cut off?
4. Where do the group of men in this chapter live?
5. For how long is Bozo in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
2. In what way does the young man affect the narrator in chapter 29?
3. How is Paddy different from Boris?
4. Describe the narrator's experience at the church in chapter 26.
5. Describe the character of Paddy.
6. How does the narrator describe the deputy and his wife?
7. What are the narrator's views on England as he travels there by boat?
8. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
9. What ideas does the narrator have to improve the tramp's lives?
10. How does Bozo earn his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Down and Out in Paris and London focuses on poverty.
1) Why was poverty such an issue in 1930's Europe?
2) What problems did Orwell highlight concerning poverty?
3) What problems concerning poverty in Europe could Orwell focus on today?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the two cities of Paris and London.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two cities?
2) Why were Paris and London seen as such a haven for writers and artists in the 1930's?
3) Was the poverty represented in these two cities unique to London and Paris or representative of all of Europe at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Orwell's writing style. How would you describe Orwell's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Orwell's style give to the story?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)