|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that lodging providers should be required to install?
2. In what city did Bozo have an accident?
3. How many times a week do the church serve tea to tramps?
4. What does the narrator find uncomfortable in this chapter?
5. What illness is the doctor for signs of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator believe he has learned from his experiences?
2. Describe the character of Paddy.
3. What shocks the narrator in chapter 35?
4. How is Bozo more interesting than other homeless people he has met in the book?
5. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
6. What does the narrator discover about England in chapter 25?
7. What are the narrator's views on England as he travels there by boat?
8. What reason does the narrator give for the existence of tramps?
9. How does the narrator describe the deputy and his wife?
10. What ideas does the narrator have to improve the tramp's lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Orwell's writing style. How would you describe Orwell's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Orwell's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the narrator's new job much harder than his work at the hotel? How does the work affect the narrator both mentally and physically?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the following statement. "Orwell's portrayal of poverty is too romanticized and told too much from a privileged position to have had any major impact on society at that time." Use examples from the novel to either support or argue against the statement.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)