|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator refuse to subscribe?
2. What kind of street meeting does the narrator see in this chapter?
3. For how long is the narrator staying at the spike?
4. What do the deputy and his wife make at any time of the day?
5. Where does the narrator say is the best lodgings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
2. In what way does the young man affect the narrator in chapter 29?
3. How does the narrator describe the deputy and his wife?
4. What happens to Paddy and Bozo in the final chapter?
5. Describe the narrator's experience at the church in chapter 26.
6. What are spikes?
7. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
8. How is Bozo more interesting than other homeless people he has met in the book?
9. Why does Paddy want to bury his five pence?
10. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Orwell's writing style. How would you describe Orwell's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Orwell's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does the dining and kitchen in Hotel X symbolize the difference between the working and upper classes? What do the students think are the main difference between the classes? In such an environment is it possible for the working classes to rise into roles currently filled by the upper classes?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Orwell use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)