|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bozo consider to be a free show?
2. How often does Bozo draw new pictures?
3. What does the narrator say he will he never think again about tramps?
4. What is the name of the narrator's new friend?
5. What kind of shelter does the narrator stay in in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's first night in London?
2. Describe the character of Paddy.
3. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
4. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
5. How does the narrator describe the deputy and his wife?
6. How is Bozo more interesting than other homeless people he has met in the book?
7. Describe the Salvation Army shelter.
8. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
9. What reason does the carpenter give for throwing away all the food?
10. What does the narrator believe he has learned from his experiences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Boris and the Jew.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why does Boris live with the Jew when he finds it so degrading to do so?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the narrator is so nostalgic about going to London? How do the students think the narrator feels when proves his nostalgia was misplaced? Is this often the case with nostalgia?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the narrator's new job much harder than his work at the hotel? How does the work affect the narrator both mentally and physically?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)