|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of status does the narrator say that tramps need to attain?
2. What do the narrator and his acquaintance have to do before they receive food from the church?
3. What is the name give to the lead tramp?
4. How much money does Paddy want to bury?
5. What does the narrator pawn in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's experience at the church in chapter 26.
2. What stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
3. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
4. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
5. What reason does the carpenter give for throwing away all the food?
6. How is Paddy different from Boris?
7. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
8. How is Bozo more interesting than other homeless people he has met in the book?
9. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
10. How does Bozo earn his money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the narrator's new job much harder than his work at the hotel? How does the work affect the narrator both mentally and physically?
Essay Topic 2
Down and Out in Paris and London focuses on poverty.
1) Why was poverty such an issue in 1930's Europe?
2) What problems did Orwell highlight concerning poverty?
3) What problems concerning poverty in Europe could Orwell focus on today?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)