|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Bozo draw new pictures?
2. What does Bozo sell to get money?
3. What did Bozo forget to do before he sold his razor?
4. Where does the tramp major invite the narrator to work?
5. What do the tramps do during the sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
2. What shocks the narrator in chapter 35?
3. What kind of people live in the lodging house?
4. Describe the sleeping conditions of a spike.
5. How is Paddy different from Boris?
6. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
7. In what way does the young man affect the narrator in chapter 29?
8. What ideas does the narrator have to improve the tramp's lives?
9. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
10. What reason does the narrator give for the existence of tramps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the narrator's new job much harder than his work at the hotel? How does the work affect the narrator both mentally and physically?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the narrator is so nostalgic about going to London? How do the students think the narrator feels when proves his nostalgia was misplaced? Is this often the case with nostalgia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the following statement. "Orwell's portrayal of poverty is too romanticized and told too much from a privileged position to have had any major impact on society at that time." Use examples from the novel to either support or argue against the statement.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)