|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the spike the narrator stays at in this chapter?
2. What kind of street meeting does the narrator see in this chapter?
3. What do the tramps have to hand over before they enter a spike?
4. What is the name of the spike the narrator stays in in this chapter?
5. What does the narrator list in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize chapter 37.
2. What are the narrator's views on England as he travels there by boat?
3. What kind of people live in the lodging house?
4. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
5. What reason does the narrator give for the existence of tramps?
6. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
7. How is Bozo more interesting than other homeless people he has met in the book?
8. How does Bozo earn his money?
9. How is Paddy different from Boris?
10. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Orwell's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Down and Out in Paris and London is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Down and Out in Paris and London and discuss how you think it was influenced by the novel. Discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Orwell use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)