|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the tramps have to do first thing in the morning?
2. Which of the following is an example of the work Bozo and his friends do?
3. What is the name give to the lead tramp?
4. For how long is the narrator staying at the spike?
5. What countries slang and swear words does the author discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator discover about England in chapter 25?
2. Describe the Salvation Army shelter.
3. Describe the narrator's first night in London?
4. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
5. What stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
6. How does Bozo earn his money?
7. Why does Paddy want to bury his five pence?
8. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
9. Why does the narrator use Croydon as an example of a good lodging house?
10. What ideas does the narrator have to improve the tramp's lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Boris and the Jew.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why does Boris live with the Jew when he finds it so degrading to do so?
Essay Topic 2
Down and Out in Paris and London is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Down and Out in Paris and London and discuss how you think it was influenced by the novel. Discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
How does the narrator represent working class life? In what ways does the book display both the good and bad sides of working class life?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)