|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following animals raid the food in the yard?
2. What does the narrator do to earn money?
3. Who does the narrator say are the slaves of the modern world?
4. About what game do the narrator and the patron talk?
5. For how many days does the narrator loaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the working conditions at the Auberge.
2. Why do the staff at the Auberge hate each other?
3. Describe the narrator's job at the hotel.
4. Describe the story Valenti tells in chapter 15.
5. What illusion does the narrator say the success of the restaurant destroys in chapter 21?
6. What decision does Boris make in chapter 7?
7. In what way is a plongeur no better than a slave?
8. Describe the story Charlie tells in the second chapter?
9. Why does Boris fall into despair in chapter 6?
10. Why does the narrator believe that people are kept in poverty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1930's America.
1) Why did so many writers and artists move to Europe during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' characteristics a product of their time? Was Europe was going through a transitional phase in the thirties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with thirties Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the following statement. "Orwell's portrayal of poverty is too romanticized and told too much from a privileged position to have had any major impact on society at that time." Use examples from the novel to either support or argue against the statement.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the two cities of Paris and London.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two cities?
2) Why were Paris and London seen as such a haven for writers and artists in the 1930's?
3) Was the poverty represented in these two cities unique to London and Paris or representative of all of Europe at that time?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)