|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes the narrator outside his window?
2. Who is second most important person at the hotel?
3. In what city does the story take place?
4. How long does it take the narrator to fall asleep again?
5. Who writes to the narrator about the job opening?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the narrator's life get better in chapter 17?
2. How does the narrator spend his last days in Paris?
3. How does the narrator get money in chapter 4?
4. Describe the Russian society in chapter 8.
5. Describe the story Valenti tells in chapter 15.
6. Why is the narrator berated for wearing a mustache in chapter 13?
7. How does Roucolle lose all of his money?
8. In what way is a plongeur no better than a slave?
9. Describe the story Charlie tells in the second chapter?
10. What does the narrator say are his best and worst days working at the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrator represent working class life? In what ways does the book display both the good and bad sides of working class life?
Essay Topic 2
Down and Out in Paris and London is a semi-autobiographical novel, adhering to the rule, writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Orwell knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Orwell does not portray a character or setting so well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
How did the conditions of such places as the spikes strip the tramps of their humanity? Did people genuinely felt the tramps were less than human? How did the tramps feel about being helped by people who saw them as nothing? Did it make their situation even the more humiliating?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)