|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do when he witnesses a murder?
2. Which is of the following is not likely to be a resident in the neighborhood?
3. On what day without food did Valenti go mad?
4. What does Boris call the man with whom he shares a room?
5. How much money is the narrator living on a day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is poverty affecting the narrator's life?
2. What does the narrator say are his best and worst days working at the hotel?
3. Why do Boris and the narrator quit their jobs in chapter 19?
4. What illusion does the narrator say the success of the restaurant destroys in chapter 21?
5. How does the narrator get money in chapter 4?
6. Describe the narrator's routine as a plongeur.
7. How does Charlie save the day in chapter 18?
8. In what way is Boris in bad shape in chapter 5?
9. Why do the staff at the Auberge hate each other?
10. How does the narrator express how tired he is in chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the two cities of Paris and London.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two cities?
2) Why were Paris and London seen as such a haven for writers and artists in the 1930's?
3) Was the poverty represented in these two cities unique to London and Paris or representative of all of Europe at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the narrator is so nostalgic about going to London? How do the students think the narrator feels when proves his nostalgia was misplaced? Is this often the case with nostalgia?
Essay Topic 3
Down and Out in Paris and London is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Down and Out in Paris and London and discuss how you think it was influenced by the novel. Discuss there similarities in terms of
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)