|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the restaurant count its success?
2. In how many weeks will the restaurant open?
3. Who writes to the narrator about the job opening?
4. Why is a plongeur's work in vain?
5. What does the narrator say goes out of the window when people are hungry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the staff at the Auberge hate each other?
2. How does Charlie save the day in chapter 18?
3. In what way is a plongeur no better than a slave?
4. How do Boris and the narrator pass the time while they wait for the restaurant to open?
5. How is poverty affecting the narrator's life?
6. Describe Boris and the narrator's interview at the Auberge.
7. How does the narrator spend his last days in Paris?
8. Describe the narrator's Saturday nights.
9. Describe the story Charlie tells in the second chapter?
10. Describe the story Charlie tells in chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the following statement. "Orwell's portrayal of poverty is too romanticized and told too much from a privileged position to have had any major impact on society at that time." Use examples from the novel to either support or argue against the statement.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Boris and the Jew.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why does Boris live with the Jew when he finds it so degrading to do so?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Orwell's dialogue contribute to the following areas
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)