|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did Valenti go without eating?
2. Who is second most important person at the hotel?
3. Where does the restaurant store their meat?
4. What two words does the narrator associate with a plongeur's work?
5. What does the narrator say goes out of the window when people are hungry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe waiters in chapter 14?
2. Describe the story Valenti tells in chapter 15.
3. Describe the ghetto where the narrator lives.
4. Describe the Russian society in chapter 8.
5. How does the narrator spend his last days in Paris?
6. How does the narrator get money in chapter 4?
7. How does Charlie save the day in chapter 18?
8. In what way does the narrator claim the restaurant is successful in chapter 21?
9. Describe the story Charlie tells in chapter 18?
10. What illusion does the narrator say the success of the restaurant destroys in chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the following statement. "Orwell's portrayal of poverty is too romanticized and told too much from a privileged position to have had any major impact on society at that time." Use examples from the novel to either support or argue against the statement.
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the narrator's new job much harder than his work at the hotel? How does the work affect the narrator both mentally and physically?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the two cities of Paris and London.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two cities?
2) Why were Paris and London seen as such a haven for writers and artists in the 1930's?
3) Was the poverty represented in these two cities unique to London and Paris or representative of all of Europe at that time?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)