|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the manager say is the secret of a successful restaurant?
2. What is the nationality of the man who robs the narrator?
3. How long does it take the narrator to fall asleep again?
4. At what time do the staff have their break?
5. In what does the narrator say he washes the dishes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the narrator's life get better in chapter 17?
2. Why does Boris fall into despair in chapter 6?
3. What does the narrator say are his best and worst days working at the hotel?
4. Describe the narrator's job at the hotel.
5. Describe the story Charlie tells in the second chapter?
6. Why do Boris and the narrator quit their jobs in chapter 19?
7. Describe the working conditions at the Auberge.
8. How does Roucolle lose all of his money?
9. Describe the narrator's routine as a plongeur.
10. Describe Boris and the narrator's interview at the Auberge.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Down and Out in Paris and London is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Down and Out in Paris and London and discuss how you think it was influenced by the novel. Discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the narrator's new job much harder than his work at the hotel? How does the work affect the narrator both mentally and physically?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Boris and the Jew.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why does Boris live with the Jew when he finds it so degrading to do so?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)