|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and Boris do to their cheeks to make themselves look respectable?
2. What does the narrator say he thought the French knew when they saw it?
3. What is the name of the waiter who tells a story in this chapter?
4. How many other people does the Italian rob?
5. What is the name of the quarter in which the narrator lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say are his best and worst days working at the hotel?
2. Describe the narrator's Saturday nights.
3. Why does the narrator believe that people are kept in poverty?
4. Why do the staff at the Auberge hate each other?
5. Describe the working conditions at the Auberge.
6. How do Boris and the narrator pass the time while they wait for the restaurant to open?
7. Describe the narrator's job at the hotel.
8. What illusion does the narrator say the success of the restaurant destroys in chapter 21?
9. How is poverty affecting the narrator's life?
10. How does the narrator describe waiters in chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Orwell use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Besides from the main character examine the way Orwell uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator represent working class life? In what ways does the book display both the good and bad sides of working class life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Boris and the Jew.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why does Boris live with the Jew when he finds it so degrading to do so?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)