|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
(a) Bad luck stories
(b) Love stories
(c) Folk tales
(d) Ghost stories
2. Which item of clothing does the narrator not pawn?
(a) His overcoat
(b) His top hat
(c) His jeans
(d) His best suit
3. For what is Paddy put in prison?
4. How much is the old age pension per week?
(a) 10 shillings
(b) 50 shilings
(c) 5 shillings
(d) 1 pound
5. For how long is Bozo in prison?
(a) 14 days
(b) 3 days
(c) 10 days
(d) 5 days
Short Answer Questions
1. When will the narrator's new employers arrive home?
2. Who does the narrator say is at blame for the existence of tramps?
3. What illness is the doctor for signs of?
4. What of the following is work Bozo and his friends don't do?
5. What does the narrator pawn in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator believe he has learned from his experiences?
2. In what way does the young man affect the narrator in chapter 29?
3. How does Bozo earn his money?
4. Describe the character of Paddy.
5. What ideas does the narrator have to improve the tramp's lives?
6. How is Bozo more interesting than other homeless people he has met in the book?
7. Why does Paddy want to bury his five pence?
8. What are spikes?
9. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
10. How does the narrator describe the deputy and his wife?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)