|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say uneducated men need to stay sane?
(a) A family
(c) Physical work
2. What does the narrator hear a young man ranting about getting?
(a) A car
(b) A wife
(c) A job
(d) A truck
3. What do the deputy and his wife make at any time of the day?
4. What is likely to happen to Paddy's money if he takes it into the spike?
(a) He will give it away
(b) It will be used in a game of cards
(c) It will be stolen or confiscated
(d) He will spend it
5. Paddy asks if ____________ lived before Jesus Christ.
(a) Julius Caesar
(c) Buster Mottram
(d) James Joyce
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator refuse to subscribe?
2. What do the tramps do during the sermon?
3. What does the narrator say would make people like begging more?
4. How does the narrator describe Paddy's ignorance?
5. How many nights is a homeless person allowed to stay at a spike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize chapter 37.
2. How is Paddy different from Boris?
3. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
4. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
5. Why does the narrator use Croydon as an example of a good lodging house?
6. What reason does the carpenter give for throwing away all the food?
7. What does the narrator discover about England in chapter 25?
8. Describe the narrator's first night in London?
9. Describe the sleeping conditions of a spike.
10. Describe the narrator's experience at the church in chapter 26.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)