|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of status does the narrator say that tramps need to attain?
(a) Human status
(b) Wealthy status
(c) Working status
(d) Pauper status
2. How often does Bozo draw new pictures?
(a) Twice a week
(c) Once a month
(d) Every other day
3. Where does the narrator hide his money?
(a) Under his pillow
(b) In his sock
(c) In his shoe
(d) In his glasses case
4. What do the tramps have to hand over before they enter a spike?
(b) Money and tobacco
(c) Jewerly and drugs
(d) Shoes and socks
5. How much money does Paddy want to bury?
(a) 10 pence
(b) 50 pence
(c) 5 pence
(d) 20 pence
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say is the best lodgings?
2. What kind of stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
3. Paddy asks if ____________ lived before Jesus Christ.
4. What do the tramps do during the sermon?
5. What does the narrator say has destroyed manhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Paddy different from Boris?
2. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
3. Summarize chapter 37.
4. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
5. What does the narrator discover about England in chapter 25?
6. Describe the character of Paddy.
7. What shocks the narrator in chapter 35?
8. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
9. What are spikes?
10. Describe the sleeping conditions of a spike.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)