|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Paddy put in prison?
2. What do the narrator and his acquaintance have to do before they receive food from the church?
(a) Debate religion with the vicar
(b) Vandalize a rival church
(c) Listen to a sermon
(d) Sing and dance
3. What does Bozo do to earn money?
(a) He writes poetry
(b) He sings and dances
(c) He sell cigarettes
(d) He is a pavement artist
4. What does the narrator summarize in this chapter?
(a) The British justice system
(b) Vagrant sleeping conditions
(c) Vagrant eating habits
(d) The benefits of married life
5. How many nights is a homeless person allowed to stay at a spike?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the deputy and his wife make at any time of the day?
2. What does the narrator say will help the tramps be healthy?
3. What does the former Eton man do during the night and while he's asleep?
4. How does the narrator describe Paddy's ignorance?
5. How old is the former Eton boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Paddy different from Boris?
2. What are the narrator's views on England as he travels there by boat?
3. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
4. What kind of people live in the lodging house?
5. What shocks the narrator in chapter 35?
6. Describe the narrator's experience at the church in chapter 26.
7. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
8. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
9. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
10. What does the narrator believe he has learned from his experiences?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)