|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator summarize in this chapter?
(a) The British justice system
(b) Vagrant sleeping conditions
(c) Vagrant eating habits
(d) The benefits of married life
2. What did Bozo forget to do before he sold his razor?
(a) Lend it to the narrator
(b) Sharpen it
(c) Make it blunt
3. What does the narrator never expect a tramp to be when he gives them a penny?
(b) Employed in the morning
(c) Drug addicts
4. What kind of food does the narrator say leads to malnutrition?
(a) Cheese on toast
(b) Steak and kidney pie
(c) Bread and margarine
(d) Beef steak
5. What is likely to happen to Paddy's money if he takes it into the spike?
(a) He will spend it
(b) It will be stolen or confiscated
(c) He will give it away
(d) It will be used in a game of cards
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator talk about in this chapter?
2. What is the name of the narrator's new friend?
3. Name one of the slang words Orwell lists in this chapter.
4. How big are the bedrooms in the spike?
5. What do the narrator and his acquaintance have to do before they receive food from the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Paddy and Bozo in the final chapter?
2. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
3. What are the narrator's views on England as he travels there by boat?
4. What reason does the narrator give for the existence of tramps?
5. How is Bozo more interesting than other homeless people he has met in the book?
6. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
7. Describe the sleeping conditions of a spike.
8. What kind of people live in the lodging house?
9. In what way does the young man affect the narrator in chapter 29?
10. What are spikes?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)