|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the tramp major invite the narrator to work?
(a) The garden
(b) The laundry
(c) The kitchen
(d) The big issue magazine
2. What is a chanter?
(a) A street singer
(b) A public speaker
(c) A preacher
(d) A pretty girl
3. To what does the narrator compare the spikes?
(b) A large dormitory
4. What do the narrator and Paddy visit in this chapter?
(a) A political meeting
(b) A temple
(c) A sacred stone
(d) A church
5. To what does the narrator refuse to subscribe?
(a) The salvation army
(c) The big issue magazine
(d) The Times newspaper
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he will he never think again about tramps?
2. What country did the robber run away to avoid a death sentence?
3. What kind of status does the narrator say that tramps need to attain?
4. How does the narrator describe Paddy's ignorance?
5. When can Boo not work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paddy want to bury his five pence?
2. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
3. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
4. What happens to Paddy and Bozo in the final chapter?
5. Describe the character of Paddy.
6. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
7. What reason does the carpenter give for throwing away all the food?
8. Why does the narrator use Croydon as an example of a good lodging house?
9. What kind of people live in the lodging house?
10. What does the narrator discover about England in chapter 25?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)