|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a chanter?
(a) A street singer
(b) A preacher
(c) A public speaker
(d) A pretty girl
2. For how long is the narrator staying at the spike?
(a) A week
(b) One night
(c) A weekend
(d) Five days
3. What does the narrator say that lodging providers should be required to install?
(d) A lounge area
4. What does Bozo consider to be a free show?
(a) The stars
(c) Church services
(d) His art work
5. What does Bozo sell to get money?
(a) His socks
(b) His diamond ring
(c) His shoes
(d) His razor
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the tramps do during the sermon?
2. Where does the tramp major invite the narrator to work?
3. When will the narrator's new employers arrive home?
4. What kind of stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
5. On the what do the tramps sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the deputy and his wife?
2. How does Bozo win the narrator's admiration in chapter 33?
3. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
4. In what way does the young man affect the narrator in chapter 29?
5. What does the narrator discover about England in chapter 25?
6. How is Paddy different from Boris?
7. Describe the character of Paddy.
8. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
9. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
10. Describe the Salvation Army shelter.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)