|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator call Bozo?
(a) A loner
(b) An outcat
(c) A screever
(d) A loafer
2. What does the narrator summarize in this chapter?
(a) The British justice system
(b) Vagrant sleeping conditions
(c) Vagrant eating habits
(d) The benefits of married life
3. What does the narrator hear a young man ranting about getting?
(a) A wife
(b) A car
(c) A truck
(d) A job
4. Where is the cheapest lodgings in London?
(b) The Embankment
(c) Charing Cross
(d) Leicester Square
5. Which of the following is an example of the work Bozo and his friends do?
(b) Selling matches
(c) Cricket scorer
(d) A marriage consultant
Short Answer Questions
1. When will the narrator's new employers arrive home?
2. Who does the narrator say is at blame for the existence of tramps?
3. What did Bozo forget to do before he sold his razor?
4. What kind of status does the narrator say that tramps need to attain?
5. How big are the bedrooms in the spike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Paddy.
2. What reason does the narrator give for the existence of tramps?
3. Summarize chapter 37.
4. What reason does the carpenter give for throwing away all the food?
5. Describe the narrator's first night in London?
6. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
7. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
8. In what way does the young man affect the narrator in chapter 29?
9. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
10. What stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)