|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the narrator compare the spikes?
(c) A large dormitory
2. What are the tramps embarrassed by in this chapter?
(a) Their smell
(b) A nun
(c) Their lack of education
(d) Prayer talk
3. What does the narrator say is a large part of Paddy's character?
(b) Self pity
(c) Self hatred
4. What do the narrator and Paddy visit in this chapter?
(a) A sacred stone
(b) A church
(c) A temple
(d) A political meeting
5. What does the narrator say is illegal?
(a) Fighting among tramps
(c) Pavement art
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the narrator say is one of England's virtues?
2. Where is the cheapest lodgings in London?
3. For how long is Bozo in prison?
4. Why does Paddy want to bury his money?
5. What can the narrator see the man is from his face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does the carpenter give for throwing away all the food?
2. What does the narrator believe he has learned from his experiences?
3. Describe the character of Paddy.
4. What are spikes?
5. Describe the Salvation Army shelter.
6. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
7. What kind of people live in the lodging house?
8. Describe the sleeping conditions of a spike.
9. What stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
10. Describe the narrator's experience at the church in chapter 26.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)