|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Name one of the slang words Orwell lists in this chapter.
2. What countries slang and swear words does the author discuss?
3. How many times a week do the church serve tea to tramps?
(a) Four times
(b) Three times
4. What does the former Eton man do during the night and while he's asleep?
(b) Wets the bed
(d) Punches the wall
5. For how long is the narrator staying at the spike?
(a) A week
(b) Five days
(c) A weekend
(d) One night
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the narrator have left the next morning?
2. When will the narrator's new employers arrive home?
3. Where does the narrator hide his money?
4. What do the tramps do during the sermon?
5. What do the tramps have to hand over before they enter a spike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paddy want to bury his five pence?
2. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
3. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
4. What does the narrator believe he has learned from his experiences?
5. Describe the Salvation Army shelter.
6. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
7. What are spikes?
8. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
9. How does Bozo earn his money?
10. Describe the sleeping conditions of a spike.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)