|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator pawn in this chapter?
(a) His gold chain
(b) His clothes
(c) His books
(d) His wedding ring
2. On the what do the tramps sleep?
(a) A bed
(b) The floor
(c) An armchair
(d) A mattress
3. What kind of food does the narrator say leads to malnutrition?
(a) Steak and kidney pie
(b) Beef steak
(c) Bread and margarine
(d) Cheese on toast
4. When can Boo not work?
(a) When it rains
(b) When it is too hot
(c) In the evenings
5. How old is Paddy?
Short Answer Questions
1. How big are the bedrooms in the spike?
2. Where does the tramp major invite the narrator to work?
3. Where do the group of men in this chapter live?
4. Where does the narrator say the red faced man learned his prayer talk?
5. How old is the former Eton boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the tramps behave in the church in chapter 33?
2. How does the narrator describe the deputy and his wife?
3. What reason does the narrator give for the existence of tramps?
4. Describe the Salvation Army shelter.
5. What are the narrator's views on England as he travels there by boat?
6. How do the people in the lodging house earn their money?
7. Why does the narrator use Croydon as an example of a good lodging house?
8. What are spikes?
9. Describe the sleeping conditions of a spike.
10. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)