|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find uncomfortable in this chapter?
(a) Talking to Bozo
(b) Mixing with blacks and Indians
(c) Flirting with female tramps
(d) Listening to the tramps' political opinions.
2. What does the narrator say is illegal?
(b) Fighting among tramps
(d) Pavement art
3. What does the narrator say he will he never think again about tramps?
(a) They are drunken scoundrels
(b) They are at fault for being homeless
(c) They have somewhere to go
(d) They are a source of humor
4. How is Paddy eventually killed?
(a) He jumps off a bridge
(b) He is murdered
(c) He is run over
(d) He starves
5. Where does the tramp major invite the narrator to work?
(a) The kitchen
(b) The laundry
(c) The big issue magazine
(d) The garden
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that lodging providers should be required to install?
2. Name one of the slang words Orwell lists in this chapter.
3. How big are the bedrooms in the spike?
4. What does the narrator list in this chapter?
5. What is a chanter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator discover about England in chapter 25?
2. Describe the character of Paddy.
3. What shocks the narrator in chapter 35?
4. How is Paddy different from Boris?
5. What reason does the narrator give for the existence of tramps?
6. What does the narrator believe he has learned from his experiences?
7. What is the narrator's theory about British swear words?
8. What happens in the morning at the spike in chapter 27?
9. Why do you think the author includes this apparently irrelevant chapter in the book?
10. What reason does the carpenter give for throwing away all the food?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)