|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of how much money does the doorman cheat the narrator?
(a) 100 francs
(b) 50 francs
(c) 114 francs
(d) 200 francs
2. How many francs a week does the narrator have to spend on drink?
3. What do the narrator think the rich imagine to be at stake if the poor are not kept in poverty?
(a) Their liberty
(b) Their children
(c) Their money
(d) Their jobs
4. Which part of Boris' body is badly hurt?
(a) His head
(b) His hand
(c) His leg
(d) His back
5. To what kind of people is the fear of the mob attributed?
(a) Intelligent people
(b) The middle classes
(c) The working classes
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people does the charity in Charlie's story feed?
2. Where does the narrator try to catch a fish?
3. At what time in the afternoon does someone get fired?
4. How much does the narrator earn per month at the restaurant?
5. How many hours do the staff work in the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Charlie tells in the second chapter?
2. In what way is a plongeur no better than a slave?
3. In what way is Boris in bad shape in chapter 5?
4. Describe the story Valenti tells in chapter 15.
5. Why does the narrator believe that people are kept in poverty?
6. How does the narrator spend his last days in Paris?
7. How does the narrator describe waiters in chapter 14?
8. Describe the working conditions at the Auberge.
9. How do Boris and the narrator pass the time while they wait for the restaurant to open?
10. Why do Boris and the narrator quit their jobs in chapter 19?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)