|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say is at blame for the existence of tramps?
(b) The labor government
2. Who do the tramps jeer at during the service?
(a) A government official
(b) The narrator
(c) The preacher's mother
(d) The preacher
3. What do the narrator and his acquaintance have to do before they receive food from the church?
(a) Vandalize a rival church
(b) Listen to a sermon
(c) Debate religion with the vicar
(d) Sing and dance
4. For what is Paddy put in prison?
5. What kind of stories does the narrator hear at the Cromley spike?
(a) Folk tales
(b) Ghost stories
(c) Love stories
(d) Bad luck stories
6. For how long is the narrator staying at the spike?
(a) One night
(b) Five days
(c) A weekend
(d) A week
7. What are the tramps embarrassed by in this chapter?
(a) Prayer talk
(b) Their lack of education
(c) A nun
(d) Their smell
8. How many nights is a homeless person allowed to stay at a spike?
9. What is likely to happen to Paddy's money if he takes it into the spike?
(a) It will be used in a game of cards
(b) He will spend it
(c) He will give it away
(d) It will be stolen or confiscated
10. What is a chanter?
(a) A street singer
(b) A preacher
(c) A pretty girl
(d) A public speaker
11. What is the name of Paddy's friend?
12. How much is the old age pension per week?
(a) 1 pound
(b) 10 shillings
(c) 5 shillings
(d) 50 shilings
13. Which item of clothing does the narrator not pawn?
(a) His best suit
(b) His overcoat
(c) His top hat
(d) His jeans
14. What did Bozo forget to do before he sold his razor?
(a) Lend it to the narrator
(b) Sharpen it
(c) Make it blunt
15. What does the narrator say that society misunderstands?
(a) The nature of children
(b) The nature of man
(c) The need for food
(d) A tramp's life
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an example of the work Bozo and his friends do?
2. What does the narrator talk about in this chapter?
3. What does the narrator list in this chapter?
4. Where does the tramp major invite the narrator to work?
5. Where does the narrator spend most of his time in this chapter?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)