|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the former Eton boy?
2. How much is the old age pension per week?
(a) 10 shillings
(b) 1 pound
(c) 50 shilings
(d) 5 shillings
3. Which of the following does the narrator say is one of England's virtues?
(a) The weather
(b) Mint sauce
(c) The beaches
4. What is the name of Paddy's friend?
5. What is the name of the narrator's new friend?
6. What does the narrator say will help the tramps be healthy?
(a) The army
(b) Bread and margarine
(d) Homegrown vegetables
7. Where does the narrator say is the best lodgings?
(c) Hyde Park
(d) Tufnell Park
8. When will the narrator's new employers arrive home?
(a) In 6 months
(b) In a month
(c) In two weeks
(d) In a week
9. What countries slang and swear words does the author discuss?
10. To what does the narrator compare the spikes?
(d) A large dormitory
11. Where do the group of men in this chapter live?
(a) An underground cellar
(b) A brothel
(c) On a boat
(d) Under a bridge
12. Where do the tramps hide their money?
(a) In their underpants
(b) In their socks
(c) In their shoes
(d) Up their sleeves
13. Who do the tramps jeer at during the service?
(a) The preacher's mother
(b) The preacher
(c) The narrator
(d) A government official
14. What does the narrator list in this chapter?
(a) Slang words
(b) Difficult to prounce words
(c) Swear words
(d) Things he needs to do
15. What does the narrator say that society misunderstands?
(a) The nature of children
(b) The nature of man
(c) A tramp's life
(d) The need for food
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of street meeting does the narrator see in this chapter?
2. What does the narrator say that lodging providers should be required to install?
3. How many times a week do the church serve tea to tramps?
4. What do the narrator and his acquaintance have to do before they receive food from the church?
5. Name one of the slang words Orwell lists in this chapter.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)