Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Compare the two cities of Paris and London.
1) What are the similarities and differences between the two cities?
2) Why were Paris and London seen as such a haven for writers and artists in the 1930's?
3) Was the poverty represented in these two cities unique to London and Paris or representative of all of Europe at that time?
Discuss the values of 1930's America.
1) Why did so many writers and artists move to Europe during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' characteristics a product of their time? Was Europe was going through a transitional phase in the thirties? What...
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)