Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
* The narrator sets the scene. He lives in a ghetto in Paris among prostitutes, bricklayers and students.
* A landlady screams at a tenant for squashing bugs on his bedroom wall
* The narrator introduces the reader to Charlie. Charlie is from a wealthy family who has decided to live with the poor. However, he still receives money from his family.
* Charlie tells a story about a prostitute he claims to have raped. He thinks this is the definition of true love.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
* The narrator tells the reader how he has lived in the Coq d'Or quarter for a year and a half. He earns his money teaching English but is beginning to suffer poverty.
* The narrator loses all his English lessons and begins to fall into serious poverty.
* The narrator introduces his Russian friend Boris. He hopes Boris can find him a job.
Chapter 5 | Chapter 6
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)