|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jim Tile gets off work and returns to his house, which of his prisoners decides to answer Jim's questions?
2. How long does it take Weeb to truck in the second load of bass from Alabama?
3. Who enrolls in the Dickie Lockhart Memorial Bass Tournament posing as brothers?
4. When Skink and Garcia return from Garcia's fishing lesson on the lake, who is waiting for the two men at Skink's cabin?
5. How long does the second batch of bass to be stocked in Lunker Lakes live for?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Weeb realizes that two of the contestants in his fishing tournament are minorities, why is Weeb upset?
2. Why do the police officers not enter Decker's trailer in Miami when Decker is inside the trailer, but is being held prisoner?
3. Why does Thomas Curl intend to kill R.J. Decker?
4. When Lanie is being questioned by Tile and Decker, she admits lying to the police. Why does Lanie lie to the police?
5. What "proof" do the police have that point to Decker as Dickie's killer?
6. According to the hydrologist, why are the fish in Lunker Lakes all dying?
7. After returning to Miami, what does Decker want to tell Dennis Gault?
8. Why do Tile and Garcia decide to arrange for a police escort to Lunker Lakes on the morning of the Lockhart tournament?
9. Why does Deacon Johnson have trouble in Florida obtaining a child for Weeb's next human healing?
10. After Decker is awakened in his Miami trailer by the telephone ringing, what does he expect that his visitor will be bringing to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Dennis Gault's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and he turns on anyone who tries to get in his way. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of R.J. Decker, Clinton Tyree, Jim Tile, Charles Weeb, and Catherine. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
Reverend Weeb wears different masks in the story. Both a Christian leader and a cheat, Weeb is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of the reverend. How would his plan for establishing Lunker Lakes have been affected had he not been a successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Weeb to wear different masks? Could he have been successful in launching Lunker Lakes without being deceptive? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)