|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas Curl name the dog head attached to his arm?
2. How much does Decker's accuser claim that Dickie paid Decker as hush money?
3. Who stays with Skink at Skink's cabin while Skink is recovering from his wounds?
4. What word in Decker's supposed blackmail note makes Al Garcia question the note's legitimacy?
5. How many men come upon Skink and beat him up while Skink is waiting for Decker and his companion to return?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lanie is being questioned by Tile and Decker, she admits lying to the police. Why does Lanie lie to the police?
2. Why do Tile and Garcia decide to arrange for a police escort to Lunker Lakes on the morning of the Lockhart tournament?
3. Describe the injuries that Jim Tile inflicts on one of his attackers when the attacker points a gun at Tile.
4. At the New Orleans bass fishing tournament, what does the angler with the biggest fish receive?
5. Why does Deacon Johnson have trouble in Florida obtaining a child for Weeb's next human healing?
6. When Decker and Skink are leaving town and realize they are being followed, Decker pulls over to talk to the person following them. What does Decker realize about his pursuer?
7. Why do the police officers not enter Decker's trailer in Miami when Decker is inside the trailer, but is being held prisoner?
8. Describe Charles Weeb's boyhood, as revealed in his official church biography.
9. After returning to Miami, what does Decker want to tell Dennis Gault?
10. When Weeb realizes that two of the contestants in his fishing tournament are minorities, why is Weeb upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regards to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "Double Whammy". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Decker and Skink to set things right?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)