|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Knowing that the police are looking for Decker, where do Decker and Skink ditch Decker's Plymouth?
2. How many siblings does Charles Weeb actually have?
3. According to Jim Tile's source, where can Tile find Thomas Curl?
4. After the weigh-in at the bass fishing tournament in New Orleans, Decker returns to his hotel room. Who is waiting for Decker in his hotel room?
5. When first starting out as a televangelist, how did Charles Weeb gain his first followers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Weeb refuses to cancel the fishing tournament even though the lake will not support bass. Why does Weeb refuse to cancel the tournament?
2. When Weeb realizes that two of the contestants in his fishing tournament are minorities, why is Weeb upset?
3. Describe Charles Weeb's boyhood, as revealed in his official church biography.
4. When Lanie is being questioned by Tile and Decker, she admits lying to the police. Why does Lanie lie to the police?
5. Why do the police officers not enter Decker's trailer in Miami when Decker is inside the trailer, but is being held prisoner?
6. Why does Thomas Curl intend to kill R.J. Decker?
7. Describe the injuries that Jim Tile inflicts on one of his attackers when the attacker points a gun at Tile.
8. Why does Deacon Johnson have trouble in Florida obtaining a child for Weeb's next human healing?
9. What does Lanie share with the police in her statement?
10. At the New Orleans bass fishing tournament, what does the angler with the heaviest stringer receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Dennis Gault's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself and he turns on anyone who tries to get in his way. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of R.J. Decker, Clinton Tyree, Jim Tile, Charles Weeb, and Catherine. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Reverend Weeb wears different masks in the story. Both a Christian leader and a cheat, Weeb is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of the reverend. How would his plan for establishing Lunker Lakes have been affected had he not been a successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Weeb to wear different masks? Could he have been successful in launching Lunker Lakes without being deceptive? Why or why not?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)