|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Harney Sentinel, what is the official cause of Pickney's death?
2. What is the name of the cemetery in which Bobby Clinch is laid to rest?
3. How many units is Weeb planning to build for his new Christian city?
4. As Skink and Decker sit in their boat waiting for the cheating fishermen to retrieve the marked fish, Decker asks if Skink is wanted for something. How does Skink respond?
5. As Skink is being driven to the Orlando airport, he tells his driver the name of the man driving the pickup truck from Morgan Slough. Who is driving the pickup truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Decker leave his first profession out of high school and accept a job at a local newspaper?
2. What surprises Skink when he spies Bobby on the day that Bobby dies?
3. Why does Ott Pickney become the Davey Dillo mascot for the high school?
4. Years earlier, when Dennis Gault offered money to an undercover federal officer to kill Dickie Lockhart, why wasn't Dennis arrested?
5. Why does Decker accept the case regarding cheating at the fishing tournaments?
6. At the beginning of the story, while he's filming the next episode of his fishing show, why is Dickie Lockhart frustrated?
7. Why does the local pathologist who examines Bobby Clinch's body not do a thorough autopsy?
8. Why are the fishing guides in Harney paid up to $200 per day for their services?
9. Describe Clinton Tyree's political ideology during his run for office in the 1970s.
10. Why does Bobby Clinch like to drive in the fog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "Double Whammy". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Decker and Skink to set things right?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have - or should have - been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Reverend Weeb and Clinton Tyree.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. What is revealed about each character as their back stories are explained? Discuss how money affects both of these characters.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)