|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jim Tile born?
2. At the airport in Orlando, what does the flight attendant refuse to let Skink board the plane with?
3. How long after her divorce from Decker did Catherine wait before marrying James?
4. According to Bobby's wife, what is Bobby's most annoying habit?
5. As Skink is being driven to the Orlando airport, he tells his driver the name of the man driving the pickup truck from Morgan Slough. Who is driving the pickup truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Weeb's mind, what is the difference between a canal and a lake?
2. Why does no one notice Skink when he sees Bobby Clinch on the day that Bobby dies?
3. What does Dennis Gault hope to gain by pulling out of the next few fishing tournaments?
4. Why does Decker not bother to hide his expensive camera equipment in his trailer home?
5. When Decker first sees the state trooper after arriving back in Harney, Decker notices something different about this trooper. What makes this trooper different from the others?
6. Why does Bobby Clinch like to drive in the fog?
7. Describe Clinton Tyree's political ideology during his run for office in the 1970s.
8. Why does Decker leave his first profession out of high school and accept a job at a local newspaper?
9. Why does Ott Pickney become the Davey Dillo mascot for the high school?
10. As Tile, Decker, and Skink are driving away from the slough after finding Pickney's body, why does Tile have Decker and Skink duck down when an oncoming car gets close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regards to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Decker's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Decker. Describe the situation and how Decker escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Decker, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the three main demands of Dickie Lockhart when he confronts Charles Weeb in Weeb's New Orleans hotel room. For each demand, tell Lockhart's reasoning behind the demand, what Lockhart hoped to accomplish through the demand, and the likelihood of the demand actually being met by Weeb.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)