|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does DOUBLE STANDARDS take place?
2. What advice does Jim give Lauren about Nick?
3. Lauren states that she would like to be both president and ____________________ at Sinco.
4. What does Lauren continue to be ignorant of regarding Nick?
5. At what company does Lauren not think she will be offered a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lauren decide to take the job offer at Sinco?
2. When does Nick begin to try to seduce Lauren?
3. What offer does Philip make regarding living arrangements for Lauren?
4. What is the premise of DOUBLE STANDARDS?
5. What does Nick reveal to Lauren about his childhood?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Lauren's use of Philip's condo?
7. How are Nick and Lauren's feelings at opposite ends of the spectrum after they spend the night together?
8. What are Nick's intentions for inviting Lauren to go with him to a party at Harbor Springs on the weekend?
9. What decision does Lauren make about spying for Philip and how does she sabotage her job interview at Sinco?
10. How can Lauren be ignorant about Nick's real position after seeing his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in business in the late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do the have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 19th-century women did not have?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book DOUBLE STANDARDS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lauren. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)