|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lauren begin to run to her car?
2. Which member of the Whitworth family had been particularly cruel to Lauren?
3. For when does Nick make a date with Lauren?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Lauren thinks about Nick at the end of Chapter 10?
5. Who does Laura mention that she has recently met?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nick react to Lauren's virginity?
2. How does Lauren meet Nick?
3. How does Lauren view Nick at this point in the story?
4. Describe the interaction between Laura and Nick at the construction site.
5. How does Laura's behavior reveal that she is unaware of Nick's role at the company?
6. When does Nick begin to try to seduce Lauren?
7. What offer does Philip make regarding living arrangements for Lauren?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing when bringing up Nick's advice for Lauren to have many sex partners.
9. How does Lauren know that Nick has put in a good word for her at Sinco regarding a job?
10. What does Lauren finally realize about Nick and his treatment of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does McNaught use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book DOUBLE STANDARDS? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)