|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lauren go after leaving Nick?
2. What truth does Lauren learn about Nick?
3. What do Lauren and Nick spend the day doing in Chapter 7?
4. Who does Philip ask Lauren not to tell about the condo?
5. For when does Nick make a date with Lauren?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Nick begin to try to seduce Lauren?
2. How does the author show that Nick might be truly interested in Lauren?
3. Why is Lauren pleasantly surprised by her time at the Whitworth home?
4. What does Lauren recall about the Whitworths as she drives to their home for dinner?
5. How are Nick and Lauren's feelings at opposite ends of the spectrum after they spend the night together?
6. What offer does Philip make regarding living arrangements for Lauren?
7. Why does Lauren decide to take the job offer at Sinco?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing when bringing up Nick's advice for Lauren to have many sex partners.
9. How do Lauren's actions show her core character?
10. What are Nick's intentions for inviting Lauren to go with him to a party at Harbor Springs on the weekend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the book. Why does McNaught use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
DOUBLE STANDARDS is a classic story of a character remaining true to her code. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain McNaught's use of humor in the story. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)