|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of DOUBLE STANDARDS?
2. How does Lauren learn about Nick's true identity?
3. Why does Nick tell Lauren she needs to leave the next morning?
4. Where do Nick and Lauren drive to on the weekend?
5. How did Nick's mother feel about her life as a housewife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lauren find unusual about Philip's condo when she moves in?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing when bringing up Nick's advice for Lauren to have many sex partners.
3. How does Laura's behavior reveal that she is unaware of Nick's role at the company?
4. How does the author show that Nick might be truly interested in Lauren?
5. How is Lauren's depth of character revealed related to Philip's request that she spy for him in spite of her personal feelings about the Whitworths?
6. What does Nick reveal to Lauren about his childhood?
7. How does Lauren know that Nick has put in a good word for her at Sinco regarding a job?
8. Why is Lauren pleasantly surprised by her time at the Whitworth home?
9. What offer does Philip make regarding living arrangements for Lauren?
10. What does Lauren finally realize about Nick and his treatment of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lauren. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book DOUBLE STANDARDS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)