|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was apprehended for trying to get Walter out of Mr. Sanchetti's car?
2. Walter thinks Phyllis will be all right if ___________________________.
3. What information does Keyes share with Walter?
4. What does Keyes think is the best way to catch the perpetrator of a crime like this?
5. What does Keyes tell Walter probably saved his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sachetti come to be at the site of Walter's shooting that night?
2. What is Walter's main concern after he tells Keyes about killing Nirdlinger?
3. What transpires when Keyes returns to Walter's hospital room later that night?
4. What shock does Walter get on his second day at sea?
5. Why does Walter's secretary, Nettie, call him at home that morning?
6. What does Phyllis do after the insurance company denies liability for the accident claim?
7. What are the terms of the deal that Keyes presents to Walter?
8. What reinforces Lola's love for Sachetti?
9. What happens on the night that Walter plans to kill Phyllis?
10. What is the symbolism of the moon at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phyllis is the epitome of a femme fatale. Explain what this means and cite examples that validate this description of Phyllis.
Essay Topic 2
Walter is a pretty cold character until he meets Lola. Explain the irony of Walter's falling in love with Lola.
Essay Topic 3
Is the relationship between Walter and Lola credible? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)