|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Phyllis take next?
2. Walter thinks Phyllis will be all right if ___________________________.
3. What business does Walter have as an offshoot of the insurance business?
4. What do both Walter and Phyllis agree on?
5. What is Walter's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reinforces Lola's love for Sachetti?
2. What is it that finally makes Walter admit to murdering Nirdlinger?
3. Describe Lola's demeanor when she visits Walter at his office a week later.
4. How did Sachetti come to be at the site of Walter's shooting that night?
5. What transpires when Keyes returns to Walter's hospital room later that night?
6. What is Keyes' position on the accident?
7. What happens after Walter wakes up in the hospital?
8. What are the details of Walter's plan to kill Phyllis?
9. What precipitates Walter's plan to kill Phyllis?
10. How does Walter's wish to marry Lola show his suspended state of reality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story is built on a thread of tension for dramatic effect. Cite three examples from the book in which the author puts the characters in almost unbearably tense situations.
Essay Topic 2
Is the relationship between Walter and Lola credible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does it never occur to Walter that Phyllis is thinking of a way to kill him just as he is thinking of killing her? What is it about Walter's personality that allows for this flawed lack of judgment? Explain.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)