|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lola's mother when she died?
2. Walter thinks that he has been made a ___________ by Phyllis.
3. How did Mr. Sanchetti get to Griffith Park?
4. Who had been Lola's mother's companion at the time of her death?
5. What does Keyes think about the beneficiary in an accident case like this one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lola tell Walter about Sachetti that makes him suspicious?
2. What shock does Walter get on his second day at sea?
3. What reinforces Lola's love for Sachetti?
4. What precipitates Walter's plan to kill Phyllis?
5. How does Lola react when Walter advises her about not testifying about Phyllis?
6. What surprising information does Walter get from reading the newspaper account of his accident?
7. Why does Walter's secretary, Nettie, call him at home that morning?
8. What does Keyes tell Walter to get him to start thinking about confessing to Nirdlinger's murder?
9. What are the preliminary investigative results about the case?
10. Describe Lola's demeanor when she visits Walter at his office a week later.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the point of view in this novel. From whose perspective is the story told? Cite some examples that validate your position.
Essay Topic 2
Is the relationship between Walter and Lola credible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Walter have a change of heart regarding Phyllis? What enters into the relationship that makes her repugnant to him? Explain.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)