|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lola living now?
2. What is Walter aware of when he wakes from the anesthesia?
3. Who does not believe that Nirdlinger committed suicide?
4. Who was apprehended for trying to get Walter out of Mr. Sanchetti's car?
5. What consumes Walter's thoughts after Keyes leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Keyes tell Walter to get him to start thinking about confessing to Nirdlinger's murder?
2. What is the symbolism of the moon at the end of the story?
3. What are the preliminary investigative results about the case?
4. How did Sachetti come to be at the site of Walter's shooting that night?
5. What is Keyes' position on the accident?
6. How does Walter's wish to marry Lola show his suspended state of reality?
7. What surprising information does Walter get from reading the newspaper account of his accident?
8. What does Lola tell Walter about Sachetti that makes him suspicious?
9. Describe Lola's demeanor when she visits Walter at his office a week later.
10. What is Walter's main concern after he tells Keyes about killing Nirdlinger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Walter's using the crutch to kill Mr. Nirdlinger. What does this choice show about Walter? Why did the author choose the crutch when there are so many other options available to Walter?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Phyllis' personal history. What else is in her background that shows an evil character? Why does she behave the way she does?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Keyes. What is his role in Walter's life? What is his role in the book overall?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)