|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lola tell Walter?
(a) She knows about Walter's role in the murder
(b) She never loved her father
(c) She has the same feeling she had when her mother died
(d) She is moving out of town
2. What does Walter do with the information Lola shared with him?
(a) Tells Phyllis
(b) Tells the police
(c) Tells Keyes immediately
(d) Keeps it to himself
3. How does Phyllis contact Walter during this time?
(a) Calls from pay phones
(b) Coded letters
4. What does Walter do the following morning?
(a) Goes back to sleep until noon
(b) Checks the paper for news of Nirdlinger's death
(c) Has a leisurely breakfast
(d) Calls in sick
5. What does Lola confess to Walter one night?
(a) She loves Walter
(b) She killed her mother
(c) She still has feelings for Mr. Sachetti
(d) She has informed on Phyllis
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keyes think about the beneficiary in an accident case like this one?
2. What does Walter say is the only reason he has confessed to Nirdlinger's murder?
3. What does Lola glean from a conversation she hears between Phyllis and Mr. Sanchetti?
4. Who rules the death an accident?
5. What does Walter think will happen at Mazatlan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that finally makes Walter admit to murdering Nirdlinger?
2. What is the news about the murder in the paper the next morning?
3. Why does Walter's secretary, Nettie, call him at home that morning?
4. What surprising information does Walter get from reading the newspaper account of his accident?
5. What happens after Walter wakes up in the hospital?
6. What does Lola tell Walter about Sachetti that makes him suspicious?
7. What is Keyes' position on the accident?
8. What is the symbolism of the moon at the end of the story?
9. What happens on the night that Walter plans to kill Phyllis?
10. What transpires when Keyes returns to Walter's hospital room later that night?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)