|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the woman arrested for shooting Walter?
2. What does Walter tell Keyes when he fears for Lola's safety?
(a) That Lola killed her mother
(b) That he killed Nirdlinger
(c) That Lola was going to implicate Phyllis in her father's murder
(d) That Lola planned the whole thing
3. What does Phyllis say is printed in the ship's paper?
(a) News of Lola and Mr. Sachetti's marriage
(b) Walter and Lola's engagement picture
(c) The ship's itinerary
(d) News of Walter's trip
4. What does Keyes tell Walter probably saved his life?
(a) A vagrant in the park
(b) A wadded up theater program in his pocket
(c) A group of kids
(d) A passing policeman
5. Walter thinks that he has been made a ___________ by Phyllis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had been Lola's mother's companion at the time of her death?
2. What will Keyes give to Walter?
3. What consumes Walter's thoughts after Keyes leaves?
4. Who accompanies Keyes when he visits Walter later that night?
5. What advice does Walter give Phyllis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lola tell Walter about Sachetti that makes him suspicious?
2. How does Walter find out who Keyes thinks is Phyllis' accomplice?
3. What happens after Walter wakes up in the hospital?
4. How does Walter's wish to marry Lola show his suspended state of reality?
5. What suspicious information does Lola give to Walter?
6. What is the symbolism of the moon at the end of the story?
7. What does Keyes tell Walter to get him to start thinking about confessing to Nirdlinger's murder?
8. What are the terms of the deal that Keyes presents to Walter?
9. Why does Walter's secretary, Nettie, call him at home that morning?
10. How did Sachetti come to be at the site of Walter's shooting that night?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)