|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter tell Keyes when he fears for Lola's safety?
(a) That he killed Nirdlinger
(b) That Lola planned the whole thing
(c) That Lola was going to implicate Phyllis in her father's murder
(d) That Lola killed her mother
2. What are Walter's true feelings about Phyllis now?
(a) He loves her but knows she does not love him
(b) He hopes she moves away and lets him alone
(c) He can't stand to even hear her voice
(d) He is still in love with her and can't wait until they can be together
3. What does Walter do with the item kept in the file?
(a) Buries it
(b) Burns it
(c) Throws it away
(d) Makes a copy of it
4. Who does not believe that Nirdlinger committed suicide?
5. What does Keyes want Walter to give him which needs to be signed by a notary public?
(a) His will
(b) His auto title
(c) His Power of Attorney
(d) A full confession
6. What does Keyes say will happen to Lola?
(a) She will go free because of her age
(b) She will go to prison for the rest of her life
(c) The police will work her over and she'll spill the secret
(d) She'll spend the night in jail and be released tomorrow
7. What else are the investigators waiting on?
(a) Phyllis' statement
(b) Walter's statement
(c) Lola's statement
(d) A coroner's report
8. What does Walter do the following morning?
(a) Calls in sick
(b) Checks the paper for news of Nirdlinger's death
(c) Has a leisurely breakfast
(d) Goes back to sleep until noon
9. Who is Walter shocked to see on board?
10. What does Walter do after getting his ticket from Keyes?
(a) Has his mail forwarded
(b) Goes home to pack a few clothes
(c) Closes up his office
(d) Goes directly to the pier and boards the ship
11. How does Lola plan to get the truth out of Phyllis?
(a) Let the police eavesdrop
(b) Tell her that Mr. Sanchetti loves Lola
(c) Record her confession
(d) Make a scene in the courtroom
12. What does Lola glean from a conversation she hears between Phyllis and Mr. Sanchetti?
(a) Mr. Sanchetti still loves Lola
(b) Mr. Sanchetti was not involved in the murder
(c) Mr. Sanchetti is going to marry Phyllis
(d) Mr. Sanchetti killed her father
13. Who is Walter dating during this time?
14. What does Walter see while he waits for Phyllis in a grove?
(a) Police patrolling
(b) Some vagrants
(c) A flash of light
(d) Lovers in an embrace
15. What confuses Walter about Phyllis?
(a) Why she ever married Nirdlinger in the first place
(b) How she can be so sweet in light of all the horrible things she has done
(c) Why she chose him to do the murder
(d) Why she thought the murder would work
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lola living now?
2. What does Lola ask Walter?
3. What does Walter do with the information Lola shared with him?
4. What did Mr. Sanchetti witness at Griffith Park?
5. What does Walter think will happen at Mazatlan?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)