|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dorothy do to all the work she created while in Paris?
2. What did Dorothy discover when she was 43?
3. How did Dorothy try to commit suicide after she realized how far behind her novel, "Sonnets to a Suicide", is?
4. Dorothy had enough of the filth of living with roommates and moved where?
5. Who did Alan replace in Dorothy's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significant event happened to Dorothy's relationship with Robert Benchley in 1937?
2. What about Dorothy and Alan's relationship changed after Alan went to basic training?
3. Dorothy involved her time and money in several "causes." What causes did she get involved in and what did society think about her involvement?
4. What about working in Hollywood did Dorothy find relieving?
5. In 1967, Marcella Cisney proposed to Dorothy the production of "A Dorothy Parker Portfolio", Dorothy gave her full support. How did this production give Dorothy the last say in her life?
6. What happened in Dorothy's career that was difficult for her?
7. While in Europe, Dorothy interviewed Ernest Hemingway after "A Farewell to Arms" was published. During the interview, Hemingway was very restrictive of the questions she was allowed to ask. What did his restrictions cause Dorothy to do? Why did Hemingway make the restrictions?
8. What did Dorothy seek more than anything during the later years of her life?
9. What cause did Dorothy focus her efforts on and how?
10. What realizations did Dorothy come to after Benchley's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorothy's draw to canines was a lifelong need. What about having dogs was so important to Dorothy? What need did she try to fulfill by having at least one dog as a companion at all times?
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy's life was one of high society parties, drinking and promiscuity, yet Dorothy had no sense of how to manage her money. How did these two aspects of her life not connect? Did Dorothy's lack of domestication play a role in her lack of responsibility? What did she feel will make up for her lack of responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of mental state did Dorothy's living conditions after her second split with Alan exemplify? How was this indicative of her overall mental health? Why would a person as intelligent as Dorothy let herself live in such squalor?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)