|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fulfilled Dorothy's maternal need?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her animals.
(c) Alan Campbell.
(d) Her family.
2. What happened across the country in 1933?
(a) The stock market crashed.
(b) Socialist ideas were widespread.
(c) World War I ended.
(d) Prohibition was repealed.
3. How many columns did Dorothy end up writing for Esquire?
4. In her will, who did Dorothy leave all her assets to?
(a) Reverend Martin Luther King.
(b) The NRA.
(c) The Screen Writers Guild.
(d) The Communist Party.
5. Dorothy and Alan did something shocking three months after she returned from Mexico. What was that?
(a) They returned to California.
(b) They returned to Mexico.
(c) They sold the house in Pennsylvania.
(d) They remarried.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what group did Dorothy get elected to the board of in 1938?
2. In 1967 Marcella Cisney asked Dorothy's permission to do what?
3. Who did Dorothy want to differentiate herself with?
4. Who, of Dorothy's friends, was she most saddened to be distanced from?
5. What job did Alan scheme to get for Dorothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in Europe, Dorothy interviewed Ernest Hemingway after "A Farewell to Arms" was published. During the interview, Hemingway was very restrictive of the questions she was allowed to ask. What did his restrictions cause Dorothy to do? Why did Hemingway make the restrictions?
2. While traveling to Europe after her dog, Robinson, passed, who did Dorothy connect with? What other event happened while Dorothy and Mary were in transit? Why did she feel a connection to this woman and what did she end up doing that greatly affected Dorthy?
3. What events led to the marriage between Dorothy and Alan?
4. What about Dorothy and Alan's reconciliation was significant?
5. Dorothy involved her time and money in several "causes." What causes did she get involved in and what did society think about her involvement?
6. What was Dorothy and Alan's reason for leaving California?
7. What did John Garrett do that effected Dorothy in such profound way? How did his actions effect Dorothy?
8. What did Dorothy seek more than anything during the later years of her life?
9. Dorothy was happy with Alan, but what about her life wasn't fulfilling?
10. What realizations did Dorothy come to after Benchley's death?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)