|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who inspired Dorothy to pick up her fiction writing again?
(a) Sheilah Graham.
(b) Robert Benchley.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Alan Campbell.
2. What changed Dorothy's plans?
(a) The Murphey's invited her to Rome.
(b) Benchley invited her to Venice.
(c) The Murpheys invited her to the Swiss Alps.
(d) Benchley invited her to Bath.
3. Who, of Dorothy's friends, was she most saddened to be distanced from?
(a) John Garrett.
(b) Robert Benchley.
(c) Lillian Hellman.
(d) Robert Sherwood.
4. On what day did Dorothy pass away?
(a) June 7th.
(b) June 17th.
(c) June 21st.
(d) June 6th.
5. Why didn't Dorothy want to go to the Yaddo, a 400-acre retreat for artists?
(a) Her family wasn't allowed to visit.
(b) She couldn't bring her dog.
(c) She wasn't allowed to drink there.
(d) Her friends weren't allowed to visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. When her relationship with John McCain ended, how did Dorothy try to kill herself?
2. What award did Dorothy receive in 1958?
3. Who did Dorothy meet at the National Institute of Arts and Letters banquet?
4. What family did Dorothy visit while in Antibes?
5. How many times was Valencia bombed while Dorothy and Alan were in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did John Garrett do that effected Dorothy in such profound way? How did his actions effect Dorothy?
2. Dorothy involved her time and money in several "causes." What causes did she get involved in and what did society think about her involvement?
3. What events led to the marriage between Dorothy and Alan?
4. What realizations did Dorothy come to after Benchley's death?
5. What significant event happened to Dorothy's relationship with Robert Benchley in 1937?
6. What was Dorothy and Alan's reason for leaving California?
7. What was so controversial about Dorothy's pregnancy? What was unique about her reaction to her miscarriage?
8. While traveling to Europe after her dog, Robinson, passed, who did Dorothy connect with? What other event happened while Dorothy and Mary were in transit? Why did she feel a connection to this woman and what did she end up doing that greatly affected Dorthy?
9. In 1967, Marcella Cisney proposed to Dorothy the production of "A Dorothy Parker Portfolio", Dorothy gave her full support. How did this production give Dorothy the last say in her life?
10. While in Europe, Dorothy interviewed Ernest Hemingway after "A Farewell to Arms" was published. During the interview, Hemingway was very restrictive of the questions she was allowed to ask. What did his restrictions cause Dorothy to do? Why did Hemingway make the restrictions?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)