|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word described Lillian Hellman very well?
2. Who did Dorothy meet at the National Institute of Arts and Letters banquet?
(a) Arnold Gingrich.
(b) Elizabeth Ames.
(c) Leah Salisbury.
(d) Marilyn Monroe.
3. What did Dorothy do to all the work she created while in Paris?
(a) It got lost in a housefire.
(b) She tore it up.
(c) She lost it all when her satchel was stolen.
(d) She saved it to submit when she got back to the city.
4. Who, of Dorothy's friends, was she most saddened to be distanced from?
(a) Robert Sherwood.
(b) Lillian Hellman.
(c) Robert Benchley.
(d) John Garrett.
5. What family did Dorothy visit while in Antibes?
(a) The Hemingways.
(b) The Murpheys.
(c) The Fitzgeralds.
(d) The Oppenheimers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dorothy discover when she was 43?
2. How old did Dorothy turn in 1933?
3. When her relationship with John McCain ended, how did Dorothy try to kill herself?
4. What movie earned Dorothy an Academy Award Nomination?
5. What happened across the country in 1933?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dorothy involved her time and money in several "causes." What causes did she get involved in and what did society think about her involvement?
2. What about Dorothy and Alan's reconciliation was significant?
3. What about Norma Place was strange to Dorothy? How did it make her uncomfortable?
4. What significant event happened to Dorothy's relationship with Robert Benchley in 1937?
5. What was Dorothy and Alan's reason for leaving California?
6. Dorothy was happy with Alan, but what about her life wasn't fulfilling?
7. After Dorothy's second miscarriage, how did she cope?
8. What cause did Dorothy focus her efforts on and how?
9. Dorothy was advised to write a will, though her assets were modest. Who did Dorothy leave her estate to? What all did her estate include?
10. What brought Dorothy to California for again? How did she feel about going back?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)