|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her will, who did Dorothy leave all her assets to?
(a) The Screen Writers Guild.
(b) Reverend Martin Luther King.
(c) The NRA.
(d) The Communist Party.
2. What word described Lillian Hellman very well?
3. How long was Dorothy's obituary in the New York Times?
(a) Ten pages.
(b) Twenty paragraphs.
(c) Two pages.
(d) Two paragraphs.
4. In 1946, what did Dorothy do about her relationship with Alan?
(a) She announced her intent to divorce him.
(b) She had an affair with even younger men to spite him.
(c) She reconciled with him.
(d) She moved overseas to be with him.
5. What happened across the country in 1933?
(a) The stock market crashed.
(b) World War I ended.
(c) Prohibition was repealed.
(d) Socialist ideas were widespread.
6. Who did Alan replace in Dorothy's life?
(a) Her Mother.
(b) Robert Sherwood.
(c) Robert Benchley.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
7. What award did Dorothy receive in 1958?
(a) The Nobel Peace Prize.
(b) The Marjorie Peabody Waite Award.
(c) The Academy Award.
(d) The Esquire Award.
8. What was the second cause Dorothy becomes involved in during 1936?
(a) Actor's rights.
(b) Writer's rights.
(c) Producer's rights.
(d) Children's rights.
9. Where did Dorothy go twice a week to get drunk while in Paris?
(a) A bordello in town.
(c) A bar by the Seine.
(d) Moulin Rouge.
10. To survive, financially, what did Dorthy do?
(a) She took on roommates.
(b) She moved to her sister's house.
(c) She published work she was ashamed of.
(d) She wrote a book of comedy.
11. Who, of Dorothy's friends, was she most saddened to be distanced from?
(a) Lillian Hellman.
(b) Robert Benchley.
(c) John Garrett.
(d) Robert Sherwood.
12. Why did most of the writers from the East Coast end up in Hollywood?
(a) The weather.
(b) The salaries were exorbitant.
(c) The beach.
(d) The working conditions were better.
13. Who did Dorothy want to differentiate herself with?
(a) Other Round Tablers.
(b) Other women.
(c) Other writers.
(d) Other socialites.
14. In 1937, what did Dorothy and Alan do?
(a) Have Alan's mother move in with them.
(b) Bid farewell to California.
(c) Sell their house in Pennsylvania.
(d) Wrote their own movie script.
15. When did Dorothy and Alan get married?
(a) June 8, 1934.
(b) June 18, 1934.
(c) June 28, 1934.
(d) July 8, 1934.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Dorothy want to go to the Yaddo, a 400-acre retreat for artists?
2. What family did Dorothy visit while in Antibes?
3. How did Dorothy try to commit suicide after she realized how far behind her novel, "Sonnets to a Suicide", is?
4. What cause did Dorothy feel the need to get involved in?
5. What did Dorothy do to all the work she created while in Paris?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)