|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saved George Kaufman, the writer of the incriminating play, from Dorothy's wrath?
(a) Dorothy was in rehab at the time of its opening.
(b) Dorothy was shielded from the reviews.
(c) The 1600-mile "buffer zone."
(d) Alan took her on vacation.
2. Who did Dorothy turn to when Alan left?
(a) The Benchley's.
(b) The Murphys.
(c) Her family.
(d) The Fitzgeralds.
3. After receiving a telegram from John Garrett, what did Dorothy consider?
(a) Suicide by jumping off the balcony.
(b) Accepting his marriage proposal.
(c) Going home to New York.
(d) Suicide by drowning in the Seine.
4. What did the studios give to Dorothy and Alan that suit them perfectly?
(a) Scripts that required no work.
(b) Scripts that were doomed to fail.
(c) Scripts that were considered inappropriate.
(d) Scripts that no one else could make work.
5. Who, of Dorothy's friends, was she most saddened to be distanced from?
(a) Robert Sherwood.
(b) Robert Benchley.
(c) Lillian Hellman.
(d) John Garrett.
6. How many times was Valencia bombed while Dorothy and Alan were in Spain?
7. How old was Dorothy when she took the teaching job?
(a) Over 70.
(b) Almost 70.
(c) Almost 75.
(d) Almost 72.
8. What word described Lillian Hellman very well?
9. What did Alan do the day he passed away?
(a) He made a large dinner.
(b) He let the dog loose.
(c) He picked up his dry cleaning.
(d) He shopped for a wardrobe for Dorothy.
10. How old did Dorothy turn in 1933?
11. Who inspired Dorothy to pick up her fiction writing again?
(a) Alan Campbell.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Robert Benchley.
(d) Sheilah Graham.
12. What was the name of the incriminating play that featured a character similar to Dorothy that debuted in 1934?
(a) An Alcoholic Woman.
(b) Merrily We Roll Along.
(c) A Wisecracking Woman.
(d) Sing We Now.
13. What was the house called that Alan and Dorothy purchase?
(a) River House.
(b) Revolutionary House.
(c) Fox House.
(d) Meadow House.
14. What did Dorothy die of?
(a) Heart attack.
(b) She fell after drinking too much.
(d) Cereberal hemorrhage.
15. What was Robinson attacked by?
(a) A pack of larger dogs.
(b) Another small dog.
(c) A large dog.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did most of the writers from the East Coast end up in Hollywood?
2. How long was Dorothy's obituary in the New York Times?
3. What movie earned Dorothy an Academy Award Nomination?
4. Where did Alan take Dorothy on their honeymoon?
5. Who fulfilled Dorothy's maternal need?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)