|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dorothy think about her position at Vogue?
(a) She thought it was a stepping stone.
(b) She thought it was a thankless and tedious job.
(c) She loved the position, and didn't ever want to leave.
(d) She felt indifferent towards the position.
2. Who was the "unfortunate soul" that fell in love with Dorothy?
(a) Robert Benchley.
(b) Elmer Rice.
(c) Seward Collins.
(d) Robert Sherwood.
3. What style of writing did Dorothy start to exhibit after 1923?
(b) The Iceberg Theory.
4. What crucial adult responsibility was Dorothy ignorant about?
(a) She didn't know how to shop for groceries.
(b) She didn't know how to drive a car.
(c) She had no money sense.
(d) She didn't know how to do laundry.
5. What was the nickname of the editor of Vanity Fair Magazine?
(a) He had no nickname.
(c) "Big Cheese."
6. Who was Dorothy teamed with professionally that turned into a short, but unsuccessful affair?
(a) Robert Sherwood.
(b) Elmer Rice.
(c) Charles MacArthur.
(d) George Kaufman
7. What historically significant event happened the same week Dorothy was fired?
(a) The Great Depression started.
(b) Prohibition started.
(c) Prohibition ended.
(d) Women's rights were voted in.
8. Dorothy was introduced to Alvan Barach at a party. What type of medicine does he practice?
9. Who did Robert Benchley meet while in Paris for the summer of 1925?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Frank Lloyd Wright.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
10. How did Dorothy absolve herself of the bad choices she made with men?
(a) She completely withdrew from the Round Tablers.
(b) She swore off men.
(c) She became involved in as many causes as she could.
(d) She swore off alcohol.
11. Where was Eddie reassigned to for the service?
12. What did Dorothy's grandparents do for work when they moved to Alabama?
(a) They sold food and groceries.
(b) They sold upscale and fancy wares.
(c) They made collectibles.
(d) They sold used furniture.
13. What ship did Dorothy's aunt and uncle ride during 1912?
(a) The Virginian Pilot.
(b) The Brittania.
(c) The Titanic.
(d) The Olympic.
14. Why did Dorothy fear Eddie's family wouldn't like her?
(a) Because she had no mother.
(b) Because she had a loose tounge.
(c) Because she had such a strong personality.
(d) Because she was Jewish.
15. While living at the Algonquin, Dorothy forgot to pay one critical bill -- what was that bill?
(a) Her food bill.
(b) Her room bill.
(c) Her electricity bill.
(d) Her water bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dorothy's play opened, how was Dorothy described?
2. Where did Dorothy go when she stopped going to school?
3. When was Dorothy fired from Vanity Fair?
4. Whose speakeasy did Dorothy and Benchley frequent?
5. What was the name of the drug Dorothy discovered that gave her a terrific effect when combined with scotch?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)