|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wallace feel while the boys were teasing him about the garden?
2. For how many terms did Wallace slack in his schoolwork?
3. Wallace told Redmond that schoolboys have limited what?
4. What was the name of the composer's son who praised the quality of Wallace's lie?
5. What kind of creature hopped onto Wallace's shoulder as he toured the garden for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Wallace going when he sees the door in the wall for the third time?
2. How does the door in the wall betray Wallace in the end?
3. What happens when the woman in the purple robe shows Wallace the book she is carrying?
4. Why does his decision to not enter the garden the second time weigh on Wallace the next day?
5. What are the mixed feelings Wallace has as the older boys at school make fun of the garden?
6. What does Wallace feel as soon as he enters the garden behind the wall for the first time?
7. What role has the door in the wall played in Wallace's career?
8. During dinner, how does Wallace describe to Redmond that he has come to feel about the door?
9. What are the disappointments in Wallace's life?
10. What is the secret that Wallace reveals to Redmond during the dinner they have together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall tone of the story? Is the tone consistent throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss each of the following themes: the price of missed opportunities; the value of success; and the detriments of living with regret.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the young girl and the playmates Wallace finds in the garden. What do they represent that is missing from Wallace's life?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)