|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of position would Wallace likely have had if he had lived?
2. Who does Wallace walk around the garden with the first time?
3. What was the name of the school that Redmond and Wallace attended together?
4. Wallace said that after the older boys teased him at school he would cry at night, but by day he was ______________.
5. What did the children in the garden say when Wallace left them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wallace think would happen if he entered the green door as he passed it with Gurker and Ralphs?
2. Why does his decision to not enter the garden the second time weigh on Wallace the next day?
3. What is Wallace's first thought when he sees the door in the wall for the second time?
4. How does Wallace leave the garden the first time he visited?
5. Why does Redmond think Wallace went to the place where he died?
6. Who did Wallace tell about the garden, and why?
7. How does Redmond discover that Wallace has died?
8. How does Redmond remember his friend looking on the last night he saw him?
9. Why does Wallace think he made the right decision to NOT stop and enter the door the third time he sees it?
10. What happens the second time Wallace comes upon the door in the wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overlying theme of the novel. Is The Door in the Wall a cautionary tale? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does The Door in the Wall fit into the science fiction genre? What elements of the story in particular incorporate the science fiction genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effect the garden began to have on Wallace's life at a young age. What is the irony in the effect that his enchanted garden had on him?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)