|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wallace grieve for most in his life?
(a) His mother.
(b) The garden.
(c) His father.
(d) The past.
2. When Wallace saw the door in the wall for the third time, he was riding in what?
(a) A train.
(b) A cab.
(c) A bus.
(d) A trolley.
3. What should Wallace have been excited to be working on lately?
(a) His memoir.
(b) New profitable accounts.
(c) His future wedding.
(d) New political developments.
4. What is the hoarding on the high road that Redmond refers to in Part 4?
(a) A frenzied crowd.
(b) A sadness.
(c) A fence.
(d) A ghost.
5. How many times did Wallace see the door in the wall when he was a young man?
6. At the end of the story, Redmond's mind is darkened with what?
(a) Questions and riddles.
(b) Doubts and questions.
(c) Emptiness and pain.
(d) Riddles and regrets.
7. In the end, Wallace walked out of _________ into darkness.
8. Redmond says some will read his story and think him to be what?
9. At the dinner, Wallace tells Redmond his soul is full of what?
10. How many times does Wallace see the door in the last year of his life?
11. Seeing the door in the wall for the third time gave Wallace a sense of ______________ things.
12. What was the name of the co-worker Wallace was with when he saw the door from the car window one night?
13. Where was Wallace going the day he saw the door for the fourth time?
(a) Seeing a girl.
(b) Scholarship interview.
(c) Job interview.
(d) Important dinner.
14. What was Wallace thinking of himself when he saw the door in the wall for third time?
(a) Worldly scholar.
(b) Captain of industry.
(c) Lost boy.
(d) Man of the world.
15. Where was Wallace going when he saw the door in the wall for the third time?
(b) Campden Hill.
(c) Earl's Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is Wallace's body found?
2. For how long has Wallace been unable to focus on his work because of his preoccupation with seeing the door?
3. What does Wallace tell Redmond is destroying him?
4. Who did Wallace wish he had stopped for just a moment and waved to in the garden?
5. Redmond is convinced that Wallace had a what?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)