|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
(b) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
(c) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
(d) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
2. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
(a) Because they are so hard to find.
(b) Because the pieces made from them are usually very large.
(c) Because they last longer than many other pieces of art.
(d) Because they are more difficult to work with than other media.
3. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) 1 in 100.
(b) 1 in 25.
(c) 1 in 70.
(d) 1 in 80.
4. What does the author say about vision-inducing devices and effects at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) They have played a greater role in religion than in fine art.
(b) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in fine arts.
(c) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in religion.
(d) They have played a greater role in fine art than in popular entertainment.
5. What substance is produced when adrenalin decomposes?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
3. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
4. Which of these is NOT a specialist who the author feels should be consulted by an aspiring mystic?
5. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
2. What types of art have the most transportative properties, according to the author?
3. According to the author, what is the role of psychics and mystics in the modern Western world, and why?
4. How did movies evolve, according to the information presented in Appendix 3?
5. What does the author say in "Heaven and Hell" about gemstones?
6. What is unique about La Tour's style of painting?
7. What does the author mean when he states that La Tour was religious?
8. What did Gericault use as models for his work, "Raft of the Medusa"?
9. What does the author begin to ponder after seeing a book of Sandro Botticelli's paintings in the World's Biggest Drug Store?
10. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)