|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a magic lantern show?
(a) A laser light display.
(b) A projection created with cut-glass and candlelight.
(c) An early fireworks display.
(d) The nineteenth-century equivalent of a movie.
2. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
(a) The second essay has a darker, more sinister tone than the first.
(b) The second was written before the author's experimentation with drugs.
(c) The second was originally a journal entry, and the author didn't intend to publish it.
(d) The second doesn't recount any specific experience.
3. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
(a) It was something which could be enjoyed by people of all ages and classes.
(b) It was able to transport people and give them wondrous experiences.
(c) The set and visual components are just as important, perhaps more so, than the words.
(d) The actors' talent was more important to the success of the performance than the script.
4. What is the name of the plant in which the substance being tested is found?
5. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) Stresses the importance and divinity of something simply existing.
(b) Allows La Tour to make the background of his paintings dark, and therefore less detailed.
(c) Makes them different from other painter's works, even when the subjects are similar.
(d) Creates a unique way to light and shade the subjects.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
2. The author feels that all human beings are naturally what?
3. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
4. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
5. According to the author, what are the two reasons for the manner in which visionaries are received?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)