|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a magic lantern show?
(a) A laser light display.
(b) The nineteenth-century equivalent of a movie.
(c) An early fireworks display.
(d) A projection created with cut-glass and candlelight.
2. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
(a) His reputation didn't change, but his fans were more loyal than ever.
(b) He became even more famous and well-known.
(c) He was forgotten, and his works were attributed to other artists.
(d) He was forced to change his style to remain popular.
3. Which is NOT a type of progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
4. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
(a) Because they don't have anything precious to give, but flowers are always available.
(b) Because they don't really understand the significance of doing so.
(c) Because they are a living sacrifice but not associated with feelings of guilt and shame the way other sacrifices are.
(d) Because they feel, on some level, that they are giving back something which is indigenous to Heaven.
5. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) Stresses the importance and divinity of something simply existing.
(b) Creates a unique way to light and shade the subjects.
(c) Allows La Tour to make the background of his paintings dark, and therefore less detailed.
(d) Makes them different from other painter's works, even when the subjects are similar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
2. What is the political purpose of regalia and pageantry, according to the author?
3. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
4. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
5. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)