|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
(b) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
(c) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
(d) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
2. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
(a) Their visions were induced by a different means.
(b) They believed in the Devil and were afraid of damnation.
(c) They had shorter life spans.
(d) They lived in more dangerous environments.
3. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
(a) Inhalation of carbon dioxide.
4. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
(a) Adrenalin and histamines.
(b) Endorphins and serotonin.
(c) Serotonin and adrenalin.
(d) Histamines and endorphins.
5. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
(a) The limbic system.
(b) The nervous system.
(c) The cardiovascular system.
(d) The gastrointestinal system.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
2. Which is NOT an object or work of art that the author references in comparison to the subjects of La Tour's paintings?
3. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
4. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
5. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)