|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about Nature "at the middle distance"?
(a) We are so familiar with it that we think we know everything about it.
(b) It is not the best distance from which to view Nature's details.
(c) It is the only way humans are conditioned to view Nature.
(d) It is the best way to see natural creatures in their habitat.
2. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
(a) Visions can be induced, while dreams only happen randomly.
(b) Dreams can be had while awake or asleep, while visions only occur when one is awake.
(c) Visions are often similar to religious experiences, but dreams usually aren't.
(d) Color is rare in dreams, but is always present in visions.
3. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
(a) During the reign of Elizabeth I.
(b) During the Renaissance.
(c) During the Industrial Revolution.
(d) In the mid-18th century.
4. What does the author say about Millais' "Ophelia" in Appendix 5?
(a) It would be much better if the painter had made better use of color and shading.
(b) It is a bad picture, but its point of view is interesting.
(c) The painter misinterpreted the Shakespearean scene he was attempting to portray.
(d) Its subject matter was too grim for it to be a good painting.
5. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
(a) An opera.
(b) A fireworks display.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) A religious ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
2. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
3. What is the main quality of the drug being tested?
4. What film does the author reference as an example of the distorted documentary?
5. What was the subject of most of Vuillard's paintings?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)