|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
2. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
(a) They sometimes died because they went out searching for food when the weather was still inclement and wintry.
(b) By spring, they were suffering from scurvy and pellagra.
(c) They lost a great deal of weight during the winter.
(d) They often had cravings for foods that weren't available to them, which made them irritable.
3. What is NOT a side-effect experienced by under-nourished individuals, according to the author in Appendix 2?
4. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) None of these places.
(b) In Heaven.
(c) On Earth.
(d) In Hell.
5. What is the difference between the two techniques the author describes in Appendix 1?
(a) One is completely non-toxic, while the other has some lasting side effects.
(b) One involves chemicals, while the other makes use of physics.
(c) One is costly, while the other is inexpensive.
(d) One is well-researched, while the other is relatively unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
2. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
3. According to the author, what are the two reasons for the manner in which visionaries are received?
4. How is the subject of a great work of nature art portrayed, according to the author?
5. What event was, according to the author, an example of ancient pageantry which was enriched and improved by technological advances?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)