|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the "visionary arts" that the author mentions at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) Religious ritual.
(d) Theatrical spectacle.
2. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
(b) A vision of Heaven.
(c) A vision of Hell.
(d) A Japanese landscape.
3. What was the style of the new Art of Versailles, according to the author?
4. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
(b) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
(c) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
(d) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
5. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
(a) To prepare themselves for judgment after death.
(b) To achieve a better understanding of themselves and the teachings of their religion.
(c) To achieve a natural high, created by feelings of religious exultation.
(d) To get a reprieve from feelings of guilt or inadequacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
2. What is self-flagellation?
3. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
4. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
5. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)