|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first painter mentioned in Appendix IV was the appointed artist to the king of what nation?
2. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
(a) Women performing daily tasks.
(b) An object seen by the light of a single candle.
(c) Landscapes and nature.
(d) Still-life images of fruit and flowers.
3. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
(a) His reputation didn't change, but his fans were more loyal than ever.
(b) He was forced to change his style to remain popular.
(c) He was forgotten, and his works were attributed to other artists.
(d) He became even more famous and well-known.
4. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
(a) Belts with nails driven through them.
(b) Cat-o-nine-tails made from iron or steel.
(c) Flogs made from strips of leather or horsehair.
(d) Whips made of knotted leather or iron wire.
5. What does the author say at the end of Appendix 4 about the relationship between an artist's character and their work?
(a) Artists must suffer to produce great work.
(b) There is no correlation between the two.
(c) Only men of great character can create great works of art.
(d) You can judge a man's character by looking at his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
2. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
3. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
4. According to the author, in what year did the rediscovery of La Tour begin?
5. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)