|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what is theatrical spectacle?
(a) A way of communicating morals and values to lower-class citizens.
(b) A means by which those without access to high culture can enjoy pageantry.
(c) Pageantry without religious or political overtones.
(d) A transporting and enlightening form of pageantry.
2. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) "Old Man in a Boat."
3. What "divine tautology" is expressed by the subjects of great nature art, according to the author?
(a) "To be or not to be."
(b) "I am that I am."
(c) "I think, therefore I am."
(d) "I am whatever you think I am."
4. What affects one's ability to have visionary experiences, according to the author, if one is using the first method mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The person's disposition before use.
(b) The duration of use.
(c) The amount of substance that is allowed to reach the brain.
(d) The number of times a person has used.
5. What is the art form which is most likely to transport those who experience it?
(d) Stained glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "new Art of Versailles" was deliberately cultivated, according to the author, during the reign of which king?
2. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
3. What is the main quality of the drug being tested?
4. Which of Van Gogh's paintings does the author use as an example of Western landscape art?
5. According to the author, what theme is illustrated by the close-up landscapes of Chinese and Japanese art?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)