|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
(a) They can only be experienced in large groups.
(b) They are experienced differently by each individual, so no one understands how another experiences them.
(c) They are ephemeral, and earlier masterpieces have been lost to us.
(d) They require a great deal of time, effort and expense to put on.
2. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
(a) Artificial lighting.
(c) Mass production of clothing and jewelry.
(d) Widespread literacy.
3. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
(a) The role of visionaries and mystics in the modern Western world.
(b) The personality traits common to most visionaries and mystics.
(c) The uncommon accuracy with which most visionaries are able to recall their visions.
(d) The availability and safety of various vision-inducing techniques.
4. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
(a) Meditation and sensory deprivation.
(b) Fasting and meditation.
(c) Hypnosis and fasting.
(d) Fasting and sensory deprivation.
5. What substance is produced when adrenalin decomposes?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
2. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
3. In what year does the experiment take place?
4. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
5. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)