|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
(a) Dreams can be had while awake or asleep, while visions only occur when one is awake.
(b) Visions can be induced, while dreams only happen randomly.
(c) Visions are often similar to religious experiences, but dreams usually aren't.
(d) Color is rare in dreams, but is always present in visions.
2. How does the author describe La Tour as a person?
(a) Humble, wise, and meek.
(b) Generous and hard-working.
(c) Hard, avaricious, and proud.
(d) Gruff but kind.
3. What is Heaven, according to the author?
(a) A place of rest and repose, where no one is doing anything.
(b) A fallacy, created by those who misinterpreted visionary experiences.
(c) A vantage point for viewing divinity.
(d) A concept invented by humanity because of our desperate need for hope.
4. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
(a) They are treated with reverence and respect.
(b) They are seen as lunatics or swindlers.
(c) They are regarded with suspicion, but are generally believed if they produce enough evidence.
(d) They are treated like normal people who had an extraordinary experience.
5. What researcher performed experiments with touching parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
2. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
3. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
4. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
5. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)