|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is self-flagellation?
(a) The act of piercing one's skin.
(b) The act of whipping oneself.
(c) The act of cutting oneself.
(d) The act of burning oneself.
2. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A vision of Heaven.
(b) A Japanese landscape.
(c) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
(d) A vision of Hell.
3. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
(b) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
(c) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
(d) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
4. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) God's immanence.
(b) Cautionary tales.
(c) Divine retribution.
(d) Visionary experiences.
5. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
(a) Mass production of clothing and jewelry.
(c) Widespread literacy.
(d) Artificial lighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
2. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
3. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
4. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
5. According to the author in Appendix 2, how would "proponents of a 'Nothing-But' philosophy" interpret mystical experiences?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)