|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a specialist who the author feels should be consulted by an aspiring mystic?
2. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about Nature "at the middle distance"?
(a) It is the best way to see natural creatures in their habitat.
(b) We are so familiar with it that we think we know everything about it.
(c) It is not the best distance from which to view Nature's details.
(d) It is the only way humans are conditioned to view Nature.
3. According to the author, what is an example of Vuillard giving the viewer "the best of both worlds" in his paintings?
(a) A painting of a house atop a hill, in a vast landscape.
(b) A painting of a wall with a garden view through a window.
(c) A painting of a corner of a room with a painted landscape on the wall.
(d) A painting of an artist painting a landscape.
4. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(b) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
(c) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(d) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
5. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
(a) Because they last longer than many other pieces of art.
(b) Because they are so hard to find.
(c) Because the pieces made from them are usually very large.
(d) Because they are more difficult to work with than other media.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the style of the new Art of Versailles, according to the author?
2. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
3. How does the author describe La Tour as a person?
4. Who is the first painter mentioned in Appendix IV?
5. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)