|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event was, according to the author, an example of ancient pageantry which was enriched and improved by technological advances?
(a) The inauguration of the first President, George Washington.
(b) The first motion picture.
(c) The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
(d) The first performance of "Romeo and Juliet" in a theater equipped with modern technology.
2. What happened to "pyrotechny" after the fall of Rome?
(a) It returned to being used exclusively for military purposes.
(b) Bigger and brighter displays were invented.
(c) It became used only in religious and national ceremonies.
(d) The technology was lost, and development had to begin from scratch.
3. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) On Earth.
(b) In Heaven.
(c) None of these places.
(d) In Hell.
4. According to the author, how did Carlyle see everything?
(a) As negatively significant.
(b) As a creative disaster.
(c) As his ultimate resting place.
(d) As dangerous.
5. What does Carlyle call "an incredible tradition"?
(a) Working for a living.
(d) Raising children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call humans, at the end of Appendix 8?
2. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
3. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
4. What does the author say at the end of Appendix 4 about the relationship between an artist's character and their work?
5. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)