|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
(a) As a giant arena battle.
(b) As a setpiece for dramatic art.
(c) As a disturbing panorama of ideas and wishes.
(d) As a series of visionary apocalypses.
2. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
(a) Women performing daily tasks.
(b) Still-life images of fruit and flowers.
(c) An object seen by the light of a single candle.
(d) Landscapes and nature.
3. What film does the author reference as an example of the distorted documentary?
(a) "The Revolt of Islam."
(b) "Queen Mab."
(c) "NY, NY."
(d) "The Living Desert."
4. What is the difference, according to the author, between the Japanese butcher bird painting and Hardy's thrush?
(a) The Western bird is surrounded by foliage, while the Eastern bird is not.
(b) Each bird is painted in a very different style due to the difference in culture.
(c) The Western bird wants to teach the viewer something, whereas the Eastern bird is content to simply be.
(d) There is no difference; they are very similar paintings in terms of their visionary qualities.
5. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
(a) They believed in the Devil and were afraid of damnation.
(b) They lived in more dangerous environments.
(c) Their visions were induced by a different means.
(d) They had shorter life spans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Holy Week such an effective spiritual practice, according to the author?
2. What is the main quality of the drug being tested?
3. Which is NOT a type of progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
4. What does the author say about vision-inducing devices and effects at the beginning of Appendix 3?
5. How does the author describe our ancestors' winter diets in Appendix 2?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)