|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what would Baudelaire have called the young boy in Gericault's portrait?
(a) "An apathetic cherub."
(b) "A budding Satan."
(c) "An absurd halfling."
(d) "A mockery of youth."
2. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) Visionary experiences.
(b) Cautionary tales.
(c) God's immanence.
(d) Divine retribution.
3. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
(a) It was a natural by-product of processing the plant in certain ways.
(b) Its chemical makeup is similar to adrenalin.
(c) It shouldn't be used by people with anxiety or panic disorders.
(d) It permanently alters the user's brain in some ways.
4. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) 1 in 25.
(b) 1 in 80.
(c) 1 in 70.
(d) 1 in 100.
5. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
(a) Most truly spiritual people don't believe in visionary experiences.
(b) A vision which is chemically-induced cannot be divine.
(c) All experiences are chemically-induced, including the divine ones, because that's just how our bodies work.
(d) They were sent by God, and the chemicals had nothing to do with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
2. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
3. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
4. What does the world inhabited by schizophrenics and other psychotics resemble, according to the author?
5. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)