|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
(a) Journals and letters written by Gericault himself.
(b) The desperate tenor of Gericault's paintings.
(c) The uneasiness the author felt when looking at Gericault's work.
(d) The accounts of Gericault's friends.
2. What poet does the author quote in Appendix 5?
3. According to the author, what is the setting of Gericault's painting "The Derby"?
(c) A small Spanish town.
(d) The Midwest.
4. What does the author say in response to Gericault's quote about his own paintings?
(a) That there were other painters who did what Gericault did, and did it better.
(b) Gericault is deluded into thinking that his art was transformative, when it really wasn't.
(c) More often, what the subject turned into was much less amiable than what Gericault claimed.
(d) That Gericault's style was not as original as Gericault seemed to think.
5. How are light and color typically experienced by mescalin users while they are under the influence of the drug?
(a) They appear in soft, rounded shapes, such as balls or orbs.
(b) They appear in natural patterns and tessellations.
(c) They appear in geometric shapes, such as buildings or mosaics.
(d) They appear as movement trails and waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
2. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
3. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
4. What researcher performed experiments with touching parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
5. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)