|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
(a) Spiritual enlightenment.
(b) "Massy keys of metals twain."
(c) The presence or absence of certain chemicals in the blood.
2. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
(a) To get a reprieve from feelings of guilt or inadequacy.
(b) To prepare themselves for judgment after death.
(c) To achieve a better understanding of themselves and the teachings of their religion.
(d) To achieve a natural high, created by feelings of religious exultation.
3. The substance being tested has been used by Native Americans of what region for hundreds of years?
(a) The Southwest.
(b) The Southeast.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The Northeast.
4. What is known about the substance being tested as of the year the experiment is performed?
(a) It is only safe to use in small doses.
(b) It alters one's mental state, but often induces anxiety or panic.
(c) It can alter the subject's mental state without any noticeable side effects.
(d) It can have serious or even fatal side effects, but only in a very small percentage of people who use it.
5. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
(a) From the Mind-at-large.
(b) From the user's memories.
(c) From the user's racial memory.
(d) From the user's imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
2. To what sort of life are schizophrenics condemned, according to the author?
3. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
4. Which of these is NOT a vision which the author thinks might be produced by prodding the brain with an electrode?
5. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)