|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
2. How does the author describe our ancestors' winter diets in Appendix 2?
(a) They ate mostly meat and grains, with some fruit and vegetables.
(b) They ate dried meat and fruit which they stored during the autumn harvest.
(c) They ate no fruit, no vegetables, and very little meat or dairy.
(d) They ate pretty much the same diet they ate during the rest of the year.
3. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
(b) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
(c) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(d) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
4. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
(a) The uneasiness the author felt when looking at Gericault's work.
(b) The desperate tenor of Gericault's paintings.
(c) Journals and letters written by Gericault himself.
(d) The accounts of Gericault's friends.
5. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
(d) Bodily mortification.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. What "divine tautology" is expressed by the subjects of great nature art, according to the author?
3. According to the author, what theme is illustrated by the close-up landscapes of Chinese and Japanese art?
4. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
5. What is the difference, according to the author, between the Japanese butcher bird painting and Hardy's thrush?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)