|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
(a) They sometimes died because they went out searching for food when the weather was still inclement and wintry.
(b) They often had cravings for foods that weren't available to them, which made them irritable.
(c) By spring, they were suffering from scurvy and pellagra.
(d) They lost a great deal of weight during the winter.
2. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
(a) An allergy to mescalin.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) The way that mescalin is broken down in the body.
(d) A negative outlook on life.
3. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) "Old Man in a Boat."
4. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
(b) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
(c) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(d) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
5. To what sort of life are schizophrenics condemned, according to the author?
(a) Frustration and anguish.
(b) Apathy and catatonia.
(c) Fury and isolation.
(d) Ineffectiveness and solitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the author attribute the concept of Hades, mentioned in Appendix 6?
2. Gericault's portrait of a young boy and study of a naked man are both displayed, according to the author, in what museum?
3. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. According to the author, what happens when Nature is seen up-close or from a different angle?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)