|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the art form which is most likely to transport those who experience it?
(b) Stained glass.
2. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
(a) The stories told to him by a psychotic friend.
(b) Descriptions given by ancient religions.
(c) Journal entries he wrote during his own psychotic break.
(d) His own experience with drugs.
3. What researcher performed experiments with touching parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
4. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
(a) Their visions were induced by a different means.
(b) They had shorter life spans.
(c) They lived in more dangerous environments.
(d) They believed in the Devil and were afraid of damnation.
5. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
(a) The personality traits common to most visionaries and mystics.
(b) The uncommon accuracy with which most visionaries are able to recall their visions.
(c) The role of visionaries and mystics in the modern Western world.
(d) The availability and safety of various vision-inducing techniques.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gericault use as a model for the people in "Raft of the Medusa"?
2. Who is the first painter mentioned in Appendix IV?
3. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about Nature "at the middle distance"?
4. According to the author, what theme is illustrated by the close-up landscapes of Chinese and Japanese art?
5. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)