|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
(b) Inhalation of carbon dioxide.
2. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
(a) To prepare themselves for judgment after death.
(b) To achieve a natural high, created by feelings of religious exultation.
(c) To get a reprieve from feelings of guilt or inadequacy.
(d) To achieve a better understanding of themselves and the teachings of their religion.
3. How do utilitarians feel about art?
(a) It is a necessary diversion for humanity.
(b) It is only worthwhile if it is beautiful and functional, as in the case of fine architecture.
(c) It is useful only when it is appreciated by most of society.
(d) It doesn't have much value.
4. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
(a) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
(b) Attention deficit disorder.
(d) Multiple personality disorder.
5. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
(a) Meditation and drugs.
(b) Drugs and hypnosis.
(c) Drugs and fasting.
(d) Fasting and meditation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between the two techniques the author describes in Appendix 1?
2. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
3. In what type of plant is the substance being tested commonly found?
4. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
5. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)