|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
(a) It offers another way for people to achieve the same results that they would get with drugs.
(b) It gets psychiatrists another step closer to understanding how hypnotism works.
(c) It demonstrates the suggestibility of humans.
(d) It shows the power that art has over the human mind.
2. How was the drug typically used up until the 1950s?
(a) To sedate those with psychiatric problems.
(c) Recreationally, and in religious ceremonies.
(d) In religious ceremonies.
3. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(b) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
(c) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
(d) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
4. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
(a) Multiple personality disorder.
(c) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
(d) Attention deficit disorder.
5. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
(b) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(c) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(d) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
2. What is the Dharma-body?
3. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
5. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)