|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
(b) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(c) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
(d) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
2. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
(a) From the user's memories.
(b) From the user's imagination.
(c) From the Mind-at-large.
(d) From the user's racial memory.
3. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
(a) Its specific effects on the brain are not well understood.
(b) No research has been performed to determine its long-term effects.
(c) There's a lot of variation in what people see while using this technique.
(d) It is used by very few people in comparison to mescalin.
4. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
(b) They never have the same vision twice.
(c) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
(d) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
5. According to the author, which form of art is most practically useful?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. What affects one's ability to have visionary experiences, according to the author, if one is using the first method mentioned in Appendix 1?
3. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. How was the drug typically used up until the 1950s?
5. What is known about the substance being tested as of the year the experiment is performed?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)