|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The substance being tested has been used by Native Americans of what region for hundreds of years?
(a) The Southeast.
(b) The Northeast.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The Southwest.
2. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
(b) They never have the same vision twice.
(c) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
(d) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
3. How was the drug typically used up until the 1950s?
(a) To sedate those with psychiatric problems.
(b) In religious ceremonies.
(d) Recreationally, and in religious ceremonies.
4. What researcher performed experiments with touching parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
5. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
(a) The subjects experienced a variety of emotions.
(b) Various parts of the subjects' bodies twitched.
(c) The subjects recalled detailed and distant memories.
(d) The subjects were able to learn new languages and skills more efficiently.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
2. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
3. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
4. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
5. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)