|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, which form of art is most practically useful?
2. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A vision of Hell.
(b) A vision of Heaven.
(c) A Japanese landscape.
(d) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
3. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
(a) Because the pieces made from them are usually very large.
(b) Because they last longer than many other pieces of art.
(c) Because they are so hard to find.
(d) Because they are more difficult to work with than other media.
4. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
5. What is Heaven, according to the author?
(a) A concept invented by humanity because of our desperate need for hope.
(b) A place of rest and repose, where no one is doing anything.
(c) A fallacy, created by those who misinterpreted visionary experiences.
(d) A vantage point for viewing divinity.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
2. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
3. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
4. What is the main quality of the drug being tested?
5. How do utilitarians feel about art?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)