Four Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
(a) They are ephemeral, and earlier masterpieces have been lost to us.
(b) They require a great deal of time, effort and expense to put on.
(c) They can only be experienced in large groups.
(d) They are experienced differently by each individual, so no one understands how another experiences them.
2. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
(b) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
(c) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
(d) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
3. According to the author, which cultures have the best art depicting nature scenes up close?
(a) Chinese and Japanese.
(b) Russian and European.
(c) South American and Mexican.
(d) European and American.
4. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
(a) The accounts of Gericault's friends.
(b) The desperate tenor of Gericault's paintings.
(c) The uneasiness the author felt when looking at Gericault's work.
(d) Journals and letters written by Gericault himself.
5. According to the author, what is the setting of Gericault's painting "The Derby"?
(b) A small Spanish town.
(d) The Midwest.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how did Gericault paint "The Raft of Medusa"?
2. Which of these is NOT a specialist who the author feels should be consulted by an aspiring mystic?
3. What substance is produced when adrenalin decomposes?
4. What La Tour painting was acquired by the Louvre in 1934?
5. What film does the author reference as an example of the distorted documentary?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)