|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called Goodwin while he was having dinner with Wolfe and Goodwin?
2. What color chair does Mrs. Bruner sit in?
3. How many copies of the book The FBI Nobody Knows did Mrs. Bruner send out?
4. How many juniper berries does Wolfe want Fritz to use in his recipe?
5. Where is Mrs. Bruner to go if she gets a message by phone or some other means from Goodwin or Wolfe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Goodwin walk after the meeting with Cramer at the hotel?
2. Why does Goodwin take Wolfe down to the basement on Thursday after lunch?
3. What did Goodwin say when he called Mrs. Althaus to get her to the phone?
4. What did David Althaus do for a living?
5. What does Fritz want Goodwin to tell him at breakfast on Wednesday morning?
6. What information was Goodwin able to learn about Mrs. Bruner before she came to see Wolfe in Chapter 1?
7. What does Goodwin tell Fritz that circumspect means?
8. What does Mrs. Bruner want Wolfe to do for her?
9. What opinions does Goodwin have about the information he obtained Wednesday when he reports to Wolfe?
10. What three alternatives does Wolfe say that he and Goodwin should consider regarding the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Goodwin feels obligated to help Cramer with the murder investigation. Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether the author makes it seem probable that someone could take on the FBI and win. Use examples from the novel to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Using either Wolfe's or Goodwin's arguments, argue whether to accept or not accept Mrs. Bruner's job.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)