|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goodwin charge to type up his notes?
2. How many minutes does Goodwin give Quayle when he agrees to be nice and speak politely?
3. Who is sitting in the red leather chair after Goodwin and the others have dinner?
4. Where does David Althaus work?
5. What color are the drapes that cover the windows in the apartment where Althaus lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Wolfe give for wanting to prove that the FBI murdered Morris Althaus?
2. What does Cohen say about getting a list of jobs that the FBI are working on in and around New York City?
3. Why does Wolfe consider helping Mrs. Bruner?
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Bruner want to sign the letter authorizing Wolfe to work for her?
5. What would Goodwin tell Wolfe if he decided to take Mrs. Bruner's job?
6. What does Goodwin see when he escorts Mrs. Bruner to her car?
7. Is Mrs. Althaus surprised to learn that it may have been the FBI who murdered her son?
8. What does Goodwin say would happen if they take on the FBI?
9. What message does Dr. Vollmer give to Goodwin on Thursday morning?
10. What do Goodwin and Dr. Vollmer agree that Dr. Vollmer should use as an excuse for why he stopped by on Thursday morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether Cramer was justified in thinking that an FBI agent shot Althaus. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Althaus quotes Leviticus and Aristotle, who present conflicting views concerning revenge. Discuss the conflict Mrs. Althaus faces when she considers punishment for the person who murdered her son. Use examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the author uses suspense in the novel to advance the plot.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)