* Mrs. Rachel Bruner sent a book criticizing the FBI to 10,000 important people.
* Now the FBI is investigating her and she wants it to stop.
* She offers eccentric New York detective Nero Wolfe a $100,000 retainer to stop the FBI from harassing her and her family.
* Wolfe agrees to consider the matter and let her know the next day whether he will take the case.
* Archie Goodwin, Wolfe's assistant, escorts Mrs. Bruner to her chauffeured car and discovers that she is indeed being tailed.
* Goodwin jots down the license plate number and calls a city employee who says it may take an hour to trace the plate number.
* Wolfe requests that Goodwin invite Lon Cohen to dinner.
* During dinner Goodwin discovers that the car tailing Mrs. Bruner was FBI.
* After dinner around nine o'clock, Wolfe, Cohen, and Goodwin head to the office for coffee and brandy.
* Cohen knows...
This section contains 3,637 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)