|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language has Kivrin studied?
2. Who does not recognize Dunworthy?
3. Where is Kivrin?
4. What does Kivrin realize shortly after waking and knowing she is back in time?
5. What does Kivrin plan to say about her "brother?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kivrin write in her Doomsday Book in Chapter 14?
2. What does Kivrin do to ensure she can find her pick up spot again and what is her first entry in her Doomsday Book?
3. With whom does Kivrin speak and what is he doing?
4. Why is Dunworthy out trying to find an open store?
5. What does Badri believe and how does Dunworthy calm Badri's fears?
6. Why is Kivrin having trouble understanding the people in the house and how does the situation improve?
7. What does a medic question Dunworthy about concerning the virus and what is his response?
8. Where does Dunworthy go after he's medically cleared, and what does he learn?
9. How does Colin explain his presence in the quarantine line?
10. Why does Badri come to find Dunworthy and where does Badri and Dunworthy go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often titles reveal much about one or more aspects of a novel. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think is the purpose of a title? How closely related to a major theme(s) of a book do you think a title should be? Or should it be?
2. How is the phrase "Doomsday Book" relevant to the action of the novel? What sort of emotional/psychological response does the title evoke? Why do you think Willis chose this title (if she does)? If you were perusing the library for a book to read and saw this title, would it pique your interest? Why or why not. Does it seem to be the best title for the book?
3. If you were the writer of The Doomsday Book and your editor says the title must be changed, what would you choose? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Kivrin learns that the twelve year old Rosmund has been betrothed to an older man, Sir Bloet and is soon to marry. Discuss the following:
1. What are Kivrin's reactions to the news about Rosemund's upcoming marriage? Are her reactions typical for the time in which she is visiting? Why or why not?
2. Why do you think Rosemund accepts the idea of marrying a man so much older than she is? Do you think at her age she even understands what marriage means in the sexual sense?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Doomsday Book, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements. Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)