|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not recognize Dunworthy?
2. What does Gawyn plan to do?
3. What does Kivrin find at the place where Gawyn found her?
4. What does Kivrin decide to do?
5. Where does Kivrin beg to return to?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Kivrin speak and what is he doing?
2. What does a medic question Dunworthy about concerning the virus and what is his response?
3. Why does Badri come to find Dunworthy and where does Badri and Dunworthy go?
4. Where is Gawyn going and why does Kivrin want to go also but can not?
5. Where and how is Kivrin when she wakes?
6. Where does Dunworthy go after he's medically cleared, and what does he learn?
7. What does Badri keep saying and where does Dunworthy take him?
8. What is the policy about sending historians to the medieval period and how is the department getting around the policy?
9. Why is Kivrin having trouble understanding the people in the house and how does the situation improve?
10. What does Kivrin do to ensure she can find her pick up spot again and what is her first entry in her Doomsday Book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book is more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character-driven or action-driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character-driven versus action-driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not?
5. What type of plot do you think the Doomsday Book is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Doomsday Book based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Doomsday Book is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Doomsday Book falls within the science fiction genre changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Kivrin is found and taken to be nursed at the home of an upper class family. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it says about the times and people that complete strangers are willing to take in a sick woman and care for her for days? Do you think they have any motives other than kindness? What would they be?
2. Kivrin seems to find a niche caring for the two daughters of Eliwys and seems to "join" the household. How likely is it that this sort of thing would happen in modern times? What do you think has changed from previous centuries that it is unlikely to happen in the 21st century America. Do you think it is a indication of a lack of compassion by "modern" humans? Or what?
3. Kivrin discovers her dress if finer and she is cleaner than anyone during this time. Does the family notice this fact? Does Kivrin attempt to blend in better by not bathing? Do you think even the highest nobles of the land (Kings, queens, dukes, etc...) were much cleaner than the family who takes Kivrin in? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)