|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not recognize Dunworthy?
2. What happens with Badri, Dunworth and Mary return to the lab?
3. What is wrong with Kivrin?
4. What is the priest speaking who is with Kivrin?
5. Where is Kivrin's wagon located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kivrin see when she wakes up and what does she think about it?
2. Where does Dunworthy go after he's medically cleared, and what does he learn?
3. Why is Kivrin having trouble understanding the people in the house and how does the situation improve?
4. What does Kivrin do to ensure she can find her pick up spot again and what is her first entry in her Doomsday Book?
5. What are some of the problems of quarantine with which Dunworthy has to handle?
6. Describe some of the preparations Kivrin makes for the trip back in time.
7. What does a medic question Dunworthy about concerning the virus and what is his response?
8. What is Kivrin trying to do in chapter 6 but having a hard time with?
9. Where do Dunworthy and Mary go and what are they waiting for?
10. What does Kivrin write in her Doomsday Book in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Doomsday Book, much of the setting is familiar to the reader, though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the 2054 world of Dunworthy and Kivrin that are either not a part of the language of 2010 or mean something different. Define the words as used in 2054 and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. How does the language of 1348 differ from that of 2010? Are there words you did not know from that time? What? How do you learn their meanings?
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the time of both 2054 and 1348. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in Doomsday Book? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understand from Doomsday Book? What are they?
Essay Topic 2
Kivrin is found and taken to be nursed at the home of an upper class family. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it says about the times and people that complete strangers are willing to take in a sick woman and care for her for days? Do you think they have any motives other than kindness? What would they be?
2. Kivrin seems to find a niche caring for the two daughters of Eliwys and seems to "join" the household. How likely is it that this sort of thing would happen in modern times? What do you think has changed from previous centuries that it is unlikely to happen in the 21st century America. Do you think it is a indication of a lack of compassion by "modern" humans? Or what?
3. Kivrin discovers her dress if finer and she is cleaner than anyone during this time. Does the family notice this fact? Does Kivrin attempt to blend in better by not bathing? Do you think even the highest nobles of the land (Kings, queens, dukes, etc...) were much cleaner than the family who takes Kivrin in? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Dunworthy's mind is constantly on Kivrin, and he continues to reassure himself that she's capable of handling whatever situation arises. He recalls his own test trip through the net to a period just thirty years in the past from that time. There'd been a young man there who pulled offered directions to reach the destination, which he'd got to with time to spare. Dunworthy tells himself that there are young men with a map and a piece of advice in every time period. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think based upon Dunworthy's own first time travel experience which is only 30 years in the past, that Dunworthy is logical in thinking that there will be someone in 1348 to help Kivrin get to where she needs to be?
2. If one assumes that Gawyn is Kivrin's "young man," analyze how helpful he in helping Kivrin find her pick up site. Cite specific examples.
3. Is Dunworthy correct in his reasoning about Kivrin? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)