|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else happens at the airport the day Lester and Henny arrive?
2. Who does Norman say he is looking for when he returns to the club after his visit with Miss Buckley?
3. What question does Iris ask Norman over dinner at Hogan's Fancy?
4. What does Norman offer to do when Miss Buckley persists about Esme's pregnancy?
5. In Chapter 9, why does Norman feel certain the threatening storm will pass them by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it seem all eyes are on Iris when she arrives at the Tilson party?
2. What happens that may ruin the Tilson party if not for Lester's authoritative presence?
3. What seems to bother Norman despite the fact that Hippolyte has everything fixed and running smoothly at the club?
4. Why is Norman happy when he hears the rain?
5. What do Iris and Norman do instead of the picnic at Dingley Dell they have planned?
6. What is the big disappointment for Norman and Iris about their planned excursion to Dingley Dell?
7. What does Norman find when he goes to the Pink Cottage to see why Iris does not come to the champagne party?
8. What does Lester think about Crab Cove once he has the opportunity to see it for himself?
9. Why does the club suddenly have problems pumping water to the rooms?
10. The morning after Norman and Iris's interlude, Norman has to pick up his family, Sheldon, and Lester at the airport. What else is he expecting at the airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the tempo of the story. When does it move swiftly and when does it slow down? Was it easy to follow? Why or why not? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
The natural progression of a novel is a series of events and interactions between characters that helps to move the story from point A to point B, and on to the end of the novel. An example of this is that the water problem moves the story to the cistern problem, which then moves the story to needing someone to do the repair work. With that in mind, what purpose did the killing of Hassim serve in the book? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
If Tex Akers was involved in so many deals that went bad, why was he permitted to begin the Crab Cove project on Amerigo? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)