|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the tarpaulin during the champagne party?
2. Where does the Sending finish his stay on the island?
3. What dance becomes a peek show during the champagne party?
4. What happens to Esme to top off everything else that happened the evening of the Tilson party?
5. What is the first thing Lester says when he arrives on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Church Wagner disappear right before the Tilson party?
2. What announcement does Norman make while out on the boat with the Tilsons and Iris?
3. What do Iris and Norman do the rest of the evening after dinner at Hogan's Fancy?
4. What do Iris and Norman do instead of the picnic at Dingley Dell they have planned?
5. What does Chunky Collins tell Norman about his friend Lionel?
6. What does Henny tell Norman that causes him to be worried about Iris?
7. What is the difficulty Norman is having with Miss Buckley at the Immigrations Office in Chapter 9?
8. Why does Norman think Hippolyte's return to the Gull Reef Club is going to be a problem?
9. When Norman returns to the club after his visit with Miss Buckley, he realizes Esme is not at her post at the switchboard. Where is she?
10. Why does it seem all eyes are on Iris when she arrives at the Tilson party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the rain patterns on the island so unpredictable? How did the rain patterns over the Gull Reef Club impact on the story? If the rain patterns at the Gull Reef Club had been the same as they were for the rest of the island, how would that have changed the story? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
If Tex Akers was involved in so many deals that went bad, why was he permitted to begin the Crab Cove project on Amerigo? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
What is a mid-life crisis? Do all men go through a mid-life crisis? How was Norman's mid-life crisis similar or different from other men? What triggered his mid-life crisis? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)