|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Norman awakened on his first morning as owner of the club?
2. What happens to the cistern?
3. What stands out most about Lester Atlas?
4. What new problem does Norman have when Norman returns from picking up guests at the airport?
5. What happens to Norman when he is under a lot of stress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Henny and Norman call Sheldon "The Sending?"
2. What other shock does Norman have about the financing for the Gull Reef Club?
3. What does Henny seem most excited about when seeing the island and the Gull Reef Club?
4. Who shows up and breaks the solitude of Iris and Norman's picnic while spending the day together?
5. On whose good will does Norman learn that the club keeps running smoothly, and how does he learn that?
6. Why does Iris Tramm seem so familiar to Norman?
7. What is in the letter Norman receives from Lester?
8. What second issue has more people ready to check out of the club on Norman's second day as owner?
9. Norman is told a man named Hippolyte can fix the cistern. He asks several people about the man. What does he learn?
10. What does Norman have to do after failing to flag down the water barge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lester Atlas call himself a "Truth Teller?" Does he tell the truth? Is he the only one who sees himself this way? Does this work to his advantage or not? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
In the opening pages the author provides an extensive history of the island of Amerigo. Does this history play into the story? For reasons of realism, is the history of this fictional island similar to the actual history of some real Caribbean islands? In what ways? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Chunky Collins more closely and determine whether he is really the friend he makes himself out to be. Is he working for his clients, or for himself? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)