|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Governor Sanders ask about Iris before he leaves the airport?
2. What will happen to Norman if Esme has her baby while on the island?
3. What universal custom in Kinja knocks Norman unconscious?
4. What does Iris tell Norman after the rain stops their kiss?
5. How does Thor explain the large number of employees at the club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Tex Akers, the builder Norman hires to do the construction work for the new rooms?
2. Why do Henny and Norman dislike Sheldon Klug?
3. Why does Norman Paperman want to buy a club in the Caribbean Islands?
4. Norman is told a man named Hippolyte can fix the cistern. He asks several people about the man. What does he learn?
5. Who shows up and breaks the solitude of Iris and Norman's picnic while spending the day together?
6. What happens to Norman after his nap the second day of his ownership of the club?
7. What is Lionel Williams' reaction to the island?
8. What happens to Thor, the bartender who practically ran the club for Mrs. Ball, the previous owner?
9. When Norman cannot get a clear connection during his phone call to Lester, what does he finally do to get the deposit to buy the club?
10. What is one of the first and most important things Norman learns about running the club on his first day as owner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does the story say the language of the Kinjans came from? Did you have difficulty understanding what was said when spoken by someone in a Calypso accent? Did it distract from or add to the story? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
The natural progression of a novel is a series of events and interactions between characters that helps to move the story from point A to point B, and on to the end of the novel. An example of this is that the water problem moves the story to the cistern problem, which then moves the story to needing someone to do the repair work. With that in mind, what purpose did the killing of Hassim serve in the book? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
What is a mid-life crisis? Do all men go through a mid-life crisis? How was Norman's mid-life crisis similar or different from other men? What triggered his mid-life crisis? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)