|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Norman ask Tex Akers at the bar on his first day as owner of the club?
2. How does Norman get the deposit money to buy the Gull Reef Club?
3. What does Tex Akers tell Norman he wants before he can start work on Norman's second day as owner of the club?
4. What is the name of the main town in Amerigo?
5. Who is supposed to front the money to purchase the Gull Reef Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Norman's Broadway friends feel about his interest in buying a Caribbean club and moving to the islands?
2. How does Norman know Lester Atlas and why does he take him along to the island?
3. What happens to Norman after his nap the second day of his ownership of the club?
4. What does Henny seem most excited about when seeing the island and the Gull Reef Club?
5. What does Norman have to do after failing to flag down the water barge?
6. What crisis results from Miss Buckley of the Immigration Office?
7. How does Norman meet Iris Tramm?
8. On whose good will does Norman learn that the club keeps running smoothly, and how does he learn that?
9. What happens to Lorna the switchboard operator at the club in Chapter 8?
10. The Tilson party is an event that can make or break the Gull Reef Club. What does Norman know is the most important factor in pulling off the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Tex Akers was involved in so many deals that went bad, why was he permitted to begin the Crab Cove project on Amerigo? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
How was Iris treated by the men in her life? Governor Sanders? Norman? Bob Cohn? What was mentioned about her previous husbands? How did this treatment affect her character and, ultimately, the plot? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the tempo of the story. When does it move swiftly and when does it slow down? Was it easy to follow? Why or why not? Give examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)