|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. April is still listening on the phone and Jim comes back on the phone. What does Max tell Jim?
2. How does April's last normal day at Springside Academy end?
3. Finally, Jim apologizes about his treatment of April and the phone. What is April's reaction?
4. What are the people that April sees behind the school doing?
5. While in the hotel bedroom, April sees a phone. What does she plan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. April goes behind the building because she hears a familiar sound. What is it and who does she meet there? What does April do?
2. Very quickly, the Corrigans are on their way to the Richmond airport to relocate to Florida. Mrs. Corrigan travels with April and Mr. Corrigan with Bram. April finds herself sharing a seat with someone. Who is it and what does April tell her?
3. After April inspects the yard of her new home in Grove City, she starts to walk. Where does she go and what building does she come across?
4. The family is visited by their U.S. Marshal Florida contact, Tom Geist. He tells them they have to learn to blend in in Grove City. What is one example that he talks about?
5. Who is waiting in the Corrigan house when April and her grandmother arrive home from school? Why is April uneasy about this?
6. Rita tells the family that they have to get going asap because someone has contacted their grandmother. What happened and why is Rita concerned?
7. How does April react to the restrictions that Jim imposes on the Corrigans at the Mayflower?
8. A few days after April's anger at Jim, she starts to feel guilty about how she spoke to him. He suggests a truce -- and tells her she is acting dumb but she is not stupid. What is one reason April decided to apologize?
9. After Jim's disappearance, the decision is made to move the family to Williamsburg. What is different about their situation in Williamsburg?
10. Rita Green, the U.S. Marshal who is going to help the family with their relocation, suggests they go to California. Why is this idea discarded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how dialogue serves as an device to enhance:
(3) foreshadowing; and
Give one example from the book that illustrates each of these elements.
Essay Topic 2
Making choices is often a typical teenage dilemma and this concept is very important in Don`t Look Behind You, as April wrestles with what she wants and what she has been told she must do. Giving four examples, show how the author portrays April facing specific dilemmas and the choices she makes. Explain how her choices influence the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
A metaphor, in literature, is something that represents something else.
1) Show how the author uses tennis and/or a tennis racket as a metaphor for April's life up to the point of the Epilogue. Give four examples.
2) What does April say in the Epilogue so that the reader now knows that the tennis metaphor has been discarded and April's transition is complete?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)