|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason April doesn't like her name (Valerie)?
2. Why does April want to call her boyfriend from the hotel?
3. Jim tries to explain to April about the phone -- he is afraid she will do something "dumb." Who does he compare her to?
4. What is April's first impression of their new home in Florida?
5. What does Jim forbid Bram and April to use at the hotel in case someone is looking for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jim realizes the family is suffering due to their prolonged stay at the Mayflower. What does he leave the hotel to do?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Max tell the family about what happened to Jim?
3. The day after learning they won't be going home soon, Jim brings them a newspaper that has a story about her father's involvement in the drug smuggling. April is shocked that her father would take such risks. Who or what does her mother blame her father's involvement on?
4. April wakes up to her first morning in Grove City and decides to explore a bit. What is her first impression when she ventures outdoors?
5. April goes behind the building because she hears a familiar sound. What is it and who does she meet there? What does April do?
6. After the family learns of what happened to Mr. Corrigan at the trial, Max tells them they must go into hiding. What is the reaction of each of the family members?
7. In Chapter 1, April describes her world and makes it sound perfect. How does she do this?
8. Rita Green, the U.S. Marshal who is going to help the family with their relocation, suggests they go to California. Why is this idea discarded?
9. While Jim is away from the hotel, someone comes to the door of the Corrigans' suite. Who is it and how does April react?
10. Before they leave Norwood, the family meets Jim Peterson, a retired policeman, who is going to stay with the family. At the beginning of Chapter 3, he takes the family to the Mayflower Hotel in Richmond. How does April describe it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define climax as part of the plot structure in literature. Where does the climax occur in Don't Look Behind You? What does it reveal about the purpose of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Rising action in a story or novel leads up to the climax. It is usually composed of conflict of some sort that will ultimately lead to a climax in the story. List five examples where Duncan introduces conflict into the rising action to lead the story to a climax
Essay Topic 3
Making choices is often a typical teenage dilemma and this concept is very important in Don`t Look Behind You, as April wrestles with what she wants and what she has been told she must do. Giving four examples, show how the author portrays April facing specific dilemmas and the choices she makes. Explain how her choices influence the outcome of the novel.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)