|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is April's grandmother's name?
2. How does Mrs. Corrigan feel after they arrive at the Mayflower Hotel?
3. The FBI agents want April's father to nail his boss. Who is his boss?
4. How does the U.S. Marshals Service agent change April's appearance?
5. What does Max tell the family they will have to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lorelei has shown up at school and takes April home. Who is Lorelei and what does April tell the reader about her in Chapter 2?
2. While Jim is away from the hotel, someone comes to the door of the Corrigans' suite. Who is it and how does April react?
3. Tom Geist also suggests something be done about Bram. What is it?
4. The Corrigans have come from a comfortable middle-class home in a nice city to a new house in Grove City. What is their first impression of their new town and home?
5. After they arrive at the Mayflower, what restrictions does Jim put on the Corrigans?
6. The first night at the house in Grove City, April has a nightmare. What is it about?
7. After April inspects the yard of her new home in Grove City, she starts to walk. Where does she go and what building does she come across?
8. The day after learning they won't be going home soon, Jim brings them a newspaper that has a story about her father's involvement in the drug smuggling. April is shocked that her father would take such risks. Who or what does her mother blame her father's involvement on?
9. Five days after their first meeting with the U.S. Marshal Rita Green, she comes back with their new identities. Where will the family be going and what will April's new identity be?
10. The night after April overhears the phone conversation between Max and Jim, her father calls and talks to his wife. What does April's mother then tell April and Bram? Why is April so upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Making choices is often a typical teenage dilemma and this concept is very important in Don`t Look Behind You, as April wrestles with what she wants and what she has been told she must do. Giving four examples, show how the author portrays April facing specific dilemmas and the choices she makes. Explain how her choices influence the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Rising action in a story or novel leads up to the climax. It is usually composed of conflict of some sort that will ultimately lead to a climax in the story. List five examples where Duncan introduces conflict into the rising action to lead the story to a climax
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a completely positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. April is in the process of growing up when she is yanked away from her almost picture-perfect life. How is the role of the protagonist portrayed in Don't Look Behind You? Give at least five examples from the novel that show how April changes over the course of the novel.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)