|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Larry ask April to do after they play tennis for the first time?
(a) To go to church with him on Sunday.
(b) To play again tomorrow.
(c) To introduce him to her family.
(d) To join him at the club that night.
2. How does Mrs. Corrigan feel after they arrive at the Mayflower Hotel?
(a) She is worried about her husband.
(b) She is relieved they are safe.
(c) She is exhausted and shaky.
(d) She is angry about leaving her home.
3. What lie does April tell Kim and Larry?
(a) That she is from Atlanta, GA.
(b) That she is from Durham, NC.
(c) That she is from Washington, DC.
(d) That she is from New York City.
4. What does her mother tell April at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) April's dad has left the family.
(b) April's dad has a severe drug problem.
(c) April's dad is near death.
(d) April's dad has been working with the FBI.
5. The trial has ended but the family must stay at the hotel. Why?
(a) The verdict is "guilty" and they are afraid of payback.
(b) A dangerous witness has been seen in the area.
(c) Mrs. Corrigan is scared and won't leave.
(d) More threats have been made on their life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does April's mother explain her husband's involvement with the FBI?
2. What surprises April when she returns home to Lemon Lane from her first walk around Grove City?
3. The Corrigans switch cars. According to Max, why do they do this?
4. What does the Corrigans' new house lack that makes it very hard to live in?
5. Who arrives from the U.S. Marshals Service to help the family assume their new identities?
Short Essay Questions
1. April thinks she will be home for Steve's graduation, but she is wrong. They stay at the Mayflower for two and a half weeks. How does each family member react to this prolonged stay?
2. After a while at the Mayflower, April realizes she will miss Steve's graduation and she has a tantrum. What does Jim tell her and how does she react?
3. The night after April overhears the phone conversation between Max and Jim, her father calls and talks to his wife. What does April's mother then tell April and Bram? Why is April so upset?
4. In Chapter 1, the narrator, April, tells the reader about her world. What does she tell us about her family?
5. Tom Geist also gives Mr. Corrigan the keys for his new business. What is the name of it and what kind of business is it?
6. The book begins with: "(T)he world as we knew it ended for us on a Tuesday afternoon in May." How does April describe her school day on that Tuesday afternoon in May?
7. April goes behind the building because she hears a familiar sound. What is it and who does she meet there? What does April do?
8. The family is told they will have to become part of the federal relocation plan to protect witnesses whose lives are threatened. How does Max explain how this works?
9. Five days after their first meeting with the U.S. Marshal Rita Green, she comes back with their new identities. Where will the family be going and what will April's new identity be?
10. In Chapter 6, what does Max tell the family about what happened to Jim?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)