|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the kitten that the Fullers adopted in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"?
2. For how long did the narrator’s father accept a job appointment in Chapter 24: "Devuli"?
3. After Vanessa went away to boarding school in Chapter 21: "School,” Bobo received packets from the correspondence school located where?
4. How old was Bobo when Vanessa went away to boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"?
5. In what language did the new black students speak to one another in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the political atmosphere of Zambia in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
2. When did Bobo begin attending boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? How was the school described?
3. Where did Bobo and her sister go in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"? What did they forget to bring?
4. What caused Bobo to become ill in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"? Who helped her overcome her illness?
5. How was the Fuller family’s new home described in Chapter 33: "Touching the Ground"?
6. Why did Bobo’s mother chide her father in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"?
7. How does the narrator describe the recent events in Mum’s life in Chapter 40: "Now"?
8. Where was the Fullers’ farm located in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"? How were the people described?
9. How did Mum’s behavior change after she returned from the hospital in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
10. How did life for the Fuller family change after power was returned to the British in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bobo’s birth while the Fuller family was in England, and the family’s decision to return to Africa. What impressions did the Fullers have of the English countryside? How did they compare it to Africa? What nationality was Alexandra Fuller born into?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the precautions taken by the Fuller family in protecting Robandi from rebels in Chapter 10: "Chimunenga 1974.” How did this experience affect Bobo? What did the young narrator understand of the political strife around her at the time? How did her understanding evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the two missionaries who visited the Fullers and the impressions they made on the family. How did Bobo’s mother respond to the missionaries’ offer of prayer? Does the narrator imply that her prayers were truly answered with the birth of Olivia? How are her feelings about organized religion revealed in the narrative?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)