|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mum chide the narrator’s father when they visited her at the hospital in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"?
2. After Vanessa went away to boarding school in Chapter 21: "School,” Bobo received packets from the correspondence school located where?
3. At what time did the narrator and her sister awaken to go to town in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"?
4. Who held the Fuller family at gunpoint for several hours in Chapter 23: "Losing Robandi”?
5. What did the Fuller family eat at every meal after the narrator’s father accepted a job appointment in Chapter 24: "Devuli"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job position did Bobo’s father accept in Chapter 32: "Malawi"? Who was his employer?
2. How does the narrator describe the recent events in Mum’s life in Chapter 40: "Now"?
3. What position did Bobo’s father accept in Chapter 24: "Devuli"? How is the setting of this chapter described?
4. What political changes took place after the revolution in Chapter 22: "Independence"? What interim government was formed?
5. What wild animal did Mum rescue in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"? How did she feed it?
6. How was the Fuller family home described in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"?
7. How does the narrator describe the new black and mixed race students at her school in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
8. When did Vanessa leave for boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? Where did Bobo complete her studies at this time?
9. When did Bobo begin attending boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? How was the school described?
10. How does the narrator describe the political atmosphere of Zambia in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the political history of Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Kenya as related from the narrative and research. When was the Zimbabwe African National Liberation Army formed? What role did this organization have in African history? How was Bobo’s family affected by these events?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the boarding school that Bobo began attending at age eight. How vast were the grounds of the school? How many teachers were there? What subjects were taught? In what areas was Bobo the most interested?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the figures of Vanessa Fuller and Roly Swift in the narrative. How was Bobo’s relationship with her sister defined? What events happened with Roly Swift to cause strife for the Fuller family? How did Vanessa respond to her parents’ dismissal of the situation? How did Bobo?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)