|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the kitten that the Fullers adopted in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"?
2. At dinner the day after the Prime Minister elections in 1980, how many of the 200 boarders were left at Bobo’s school?
3. Where did the narrator’s family begin spending weekends in Chapter 34: "The Goat Shed"?
4. The narrator’s father herded the wild cattle gently because stressed cows do what?
5. Mum is described in Chapter 30: "Nervous Breakdown" as being as scary as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Bobo and her sister go in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"? What did they forget to bring?
2. How is the geography of Malawi described by the narrator in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
3. How does the narrator describe the history of land acclimation in Rhodesia in Chapter 23: "Losing Robandi"?
4. Who became Prime Minister of Zimbabwe in Chapter 22: "Independence"? What happened at Bobo’s school after this election?
5. When did Vanessa leave for boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? Where did Bobo complete her studies at this time?
6. How does the narrator describe the new black and mixed race students at her school in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
7. How was the Fuller family home described in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"?
8. How does the narrator describe the political atmosphere of Zambia in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
9. Where was the Fullers’ farm located in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"? How were the people described?
10. What caused Bobo to become ill in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"? Who helped her overcome her illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative point-of-view of the memoir. In what person is the story related? Is it told in present or past tense? How does this narrative style affect the reader of the memoir?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the two missionaries who visited the Fullers and the impressions they made on the family. How did Bobo’s mother respond to the missionaries’ offer of prayer? Does the narrator imply that her prayers were truly answered with the birth of Olivia? How are her feelings about organized religion revealed in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the political history of Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Kenya as related from the narrative and research. When was the Zimbabwe African National Liberation Army formed? What role did this organization have in African history? How was Bobo’s family affected by these events?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)