|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long did the narrator’s father accept a job appointment in Chapter 24: "Devuli"?
2. Who held the Fuller family at gunpoint for several hours in Chapter 23: "Losing Robandi”?
3. What word from the narrative refers to the British slang for bathroom?
4. What did Mum call for Dad to bring her when she was wading in the water in Chapter 31: "Moving On"?
5. How many peasant farmers each raised one acre of tobacco at the farm when the Fullers arrived in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the history of land acclimation in Rhodesia in Chapter 23: "Losing Robandi"?
2. When did Vanessa leave for boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? Where did Bobo complete her studies at this time?
3. How does the narrator compare the Fuller family prior to and after the death of Richard in Chapter 30: "Nervous Breakdown"?
4. How was the Fuller family home described in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"?
5. How is the geography of Malawi described by the narrator in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
6. What happened when Bobo’s father went to retrieve their mother from the hospital in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
7. What action did Mum take in Chapter 31: "Moving On" that caused concern for the family? How did the action play out?
8. How did Mum’s behavior change after she returned from the hospital in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
9. What “close call” happened with at a checkpoint in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
10. How did the Fuller family meet Charlie in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"? What relationship did she form with the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
escribe and analyze the characterizations of Violet and July in the narrative. How did the Fuller family respond when Violet was found injured? Did they suspect she was involved in the robbery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Mum’s work running the farm while Dad was fighting in the war. What actions did Mum take to try to get rid of the wild cattle? Was she successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bobo’s relationship with her parents and their views regarding race as established in Chapter 3: "Chimurenga I: Zambia, 1999” and Chapter 4: "Chimurenga: The Beginning.” How did Bobo’s mother feel about the Kenyan war for independence? Why? What were Bobo’s father’s views on race and politics?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)