|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the medics depart in Chapter 19: "Violet"?
2. Where did the narrator’s family go the day after the sale in Chapter 20: "Selling”?
3. From what denomination were the visiting missionaries in Chapter 14: "Missionaries 1975"?
4. Mum and Dad told Bobo in Chapter 1: "Rhodesia, 1975" that she must not wake her parents by creeping into their room at night for what reason?
5. How did the narrator’s family try to appear in the hopes that buyers would offer a higher price in Chapter 20: "Selling”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the narrator’s impressions of the police station described in Chapter 11: "War 1976"?
2. Why was Bobo warned about creeping through the house at night in Chapter 1: "Rhodesia, 1975"?
3. How was Violet victimized in Chapter 19: "Violet"? Who was discovered to be the perpetrator?
4. Where was Bobo born? How is her heritage explained in Chapter 2: "Getting There & Zambia 1987"?
5. How does the narrator describe the school systems in Zambia before she turned eleven in Chapter 2: "Getting There & Zambia 1987"?
6. What did Bobo pray for in Chapter 14: "Missionaries 1975"? Did her prayer come true?
7. How are the final days of the war for independence described by the narrator in Chapter 18: "Chimurenga, 1979"? What did Bobo and her sister discover on the farm?
8. How many black Kenyans and white settlers were killed in the war for independence, according to the narrator in Chapter 3: "Chimurenga I: Zambia, 1999"? How did Bobo’s mother feel about this power struggle?
9. Why did Bobo decline the drink offered to her by her mother in Chapter 2: "Getting There & Zambia 1987"?
10. How does the narrator contrast Mum’s feelings about black Africans with her relationships with animals in Chapter 1: "Rhodesia, 1975"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the government of Zambia and segregation and desegregation in Zambian history. When did integration take place in public schools? Who initiated desegregation in the country? How did integration affect Bobo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Rhodesian Bush War and the developments in this struggle in 1976. What events led to Bobo’s parents joining the police reserves? What role did they play in the ongoing warfare? What risks did the family face at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Define “Coming-Back Babies” and discuss the superstition and ritual surrounding this phenomenon in African tradition. Why would Alexandra Fuller have been considered a “Coming-Back Baby”? Did the Fuller family have strong superstitious beliefs? Why or why not?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)