|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of vehicle does the narrator describe having ridden on top of singing patriotic songs with her sister in Chapter 16: "Afterward"?
2. What did Bobo pray for with the missionaries in Chapter 14: "Missionaries 1975"?
3. How many dogs accompanied the narrator, her mother, and her sister in traveling to Rhodesia in Chapter 7: "England 1969"?
4. How did the narrator’s family try to appear in the hopes that buyers would offer a higher price in Chapter 20: "Selling”?
5. What is the name of Alexandra Fuller’s father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fuller family life change after Bobo’s parents joined the police reserves in Chapter 11: "War 1976"?
2. How is Bobo’s sister described in Chapter 13: "Vanessa"? What event is related in this chapter?
3. How was Violet victimized in Chapter 19: "Violet"? Who was discovered to be the perpetrator?
4. Where did the family travel in Chapter 17: "Vacation"? Who did they pick up on their journey?
5. What did Bobo do when she experienced a stinging pain in her genital area in Chapter 8: "Karoi"? What was the cause?
6. How is Olivia’s death described in Chapter 15: "Olivia January 1978"?
7. Where in England did the Fuller family settle in Chapter 7: "England 1969"? What did they do there?
8. What African tradition does the narrator describe in the opening of Chapter 6: "Coming-Back Babies"?
9. How does the narrator describe the lives of the Fullers after Olivia’s death in Chapter 16: "Afterward"?
10. Why was Bobo warned about creeping through the house at night in Chapter 1: "Rhodesia, 1975"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
escribe and analyze the characterizations of Violet and July in the narrative. How did the Fuller family respond when Violet was found injured? Did they suspect she was involved in the robbery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings, history, and culture of Dete and Karoi, Rhodesia. How does Alexandra Fuller describe the geography and climate of these locales? When did the Fuller family live in Dete? When did they move to Karoi?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bobo’s birth while the Fuller family was in England, and the family’s decision to return to Africa. What impressions did the Fullers have of the English countryside? How did they compare it to Africa? What nationality was Alexandra Fuller born into?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)