|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what town did the Fullers move in Rhodesia before settling in Karoi?
2. What kind of infesting flies does the narrator describe in Chapter 9: "Burma Valley"?
3. The Fullers’ farm in Rhodesia bordered what country?
4. What did Bobo’s mother offer the border guard as a bribe in Chapter 2: "Getting There & Zambia 1987"?
5. How old was Bobo when the school systems changed from A, B, and C schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurred after Bobo’s mother shot at a cobra in Chapter 12: "Dog Rescue"?
2. What did Bobo do when she experienced a stinging pain in her genital area in Chapter 8: "Karoi"? What was the cause?
3. What did the Fuller family discover missing upon their return home in Chapter 19: "Violet"?
4. Why did the crops on the Tribal Trust Lands suffer in Chapter 18: "Chimurenga, 1979"?
5. How many black Kenyans and white settlers were killed in the war for independence, according to the narrator in Chapter 3: "Chimurenga I: Zambia, 1999"? How did Bobo’s mother feel about this power struggle?
6. Why was Bobo warned about creeping through the house at night in Chapter 1: "Rhodesia, 1975"?
7. How is Olivia’s death described in Chapter 15: "Olivia January 1978"?
8. What did Bobo pray for in Chapter 14: "Missionaries 1975"? Did her prayer come true?
9. How does the narrator describe the visiting missionaries in Chapter 14: "Missionaries 1975"? How did Mum greet them?
10. How does the narrator describe the school systems in Zambia before she turned eleven in Chapter 2: "Getting There & Zambia 1987"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Robandi farm and Bobo’s impressions of the farm. How old was Bobo when the family relocated to this location? How fertile was the land on the farm? How did this setting differ from the previous settings described in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the two missionaries who visited the Fullers and the impressions they made on the family. How did Bobo’s mother respond to the missionaries’ offer of prayer? Does the narrator imply that her prayers were truly answered with the birth of Olivia? How are her feelings about organized religion revealed in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
escribe and analyze the characterizations of Violet and July in the narrative. How did the Fuller family respond when Violet was found injured? Did they suspect she was involved in the robbery? Why or why not?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)