|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bobo was sent to boarding school with her older sister in January of what year?
2. The narrator’s mother had their cook serve the missionaries what kind of sandwiches in Chapter 14: "Missionaries 1975"?
3. What did the narrator’s mother do when it was time to kill the rabbits on the farm for food in Chapter 7: "England 1969"?
4. In Chapter 20: "Selling,” the narrator’s father woke up the family in the middle of the night to dress in their best clothes and go to sell what in town?
5. To what town did the Fullers move in Rhodesia before settling in Karoi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the school systems in Zambia before she turned eleven in Chapter 2: "Getting There & Zambia 1987"?
2. How does the narrator describe the visiting missionaries in Chapter 14: "Missionaries 1975"? How did Mum greet them?
3. How is Olivia’s death described in Chapter 15: "Olivia January 1978"?
4. What African tradition does the narrator describe in the opening of Chapter 6: "Coming-Back Babies"?
5. What occurred after Bobo’s mother shot at a cobra in Chapter 12: "Dog Rescue"?
6. What were the narrator’s impressions of the police station described in Chapter 11: "War 1976"?
7. What did Mum do with the rabbits in Chapter 7: "England 1969"? When did the family decide to return to Africa?
8. Why did Bobo decline the drink offered to her by her mother in Chapter 2: "Getting There & Zambia 1987"?
9. What local superstition does the narrator describe in Chapter 8: "Karoi"?
10. Why was Bobo warned about creeping through the house at night in Chapter 1: "Rhodesia, 1975"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Tribal Trust Lands and their impressions on Bobo in Chapter 17: "Vacation.” What did Bobo remark about the use of the farmland on the Tribal Trust Lands? Was this a naïve thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death of Adrian Fuller and the Fullers’ decision to leave Africa in Chapter 5: "Adrian, Rhodesia, 1968.” Where did the Fullers decide to move? Why? What political events were taking place in Rhodesia at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Define “Coming-Back Babies” and discuss the superstition and ritual surrounding this phenomenon in African tradition. Why would Alexandra Fuller have been considered a “Coming-Back Baby”? Did the Fuller family have strong superstitious beliefs? Why or why not?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)